Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2023, 01:02 PM   #5441
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah people always say "TV Viewership is down" and that's true for cable.

But video consumption has never been higher.

All the streaming services, youtube, tik tok, instagram, etc, and then of course the illegal ways to get the content you want in pretty much real time.

The content is more accessible, in more mediums than ever before. Wrestling is at a bit of a boom right now again. Live show attendance is up, and viewer engagement is up.

Cable might be down a bit but it's also a show that for a lot of people actually makes more sense to watch taped / not live because it allows you to skip through the segments you don't care about. It's not like a sport you need to watch live.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-14-2023 at 01:08 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:55 PM   #5442
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

And this is all happening with wrestling fans resorting to insane tribalism and some refusing to watch the other programs other than their favourite. There are probably more wrestling fans now than there has been since the boom in the late 80s to early 90s.

Love or hate AEW, it's hard to deny that they were a catalyst for this boom too. Not in the sense that they alone are driving this bus, but they helped revitalize an industry that had been stagnant for years due to no real competition for WWE. Now WWE is putting out a better product after being tested again. NJPW is as popular as it has ever been in the West which a lot of AEW mainstays have helped push.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 06:10 PM   #5443
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah lots of tailwinds for sure.

AEW providing an alternative for people that liked wresting but not WWE.

Being the only real live sports option for big parts of the pandemic I think reintroduced a lot of lapsed fans too. .

As much as maybe some people don't like them I think attractions like Bad Bunny, and Logan Paul being part of it and actually being good at wrestling too, has helped too.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:16 PM   #5444
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
As much as maybe some people don't like them I think attractions like Bad Bunny, and Logan Paul being part of it and actually being good at wrestling too, has helped too.

Hardcore fans hate it. But WWE likes money and they seem to know what makes money.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-14-2023, 09:01 PM   #5445
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Hardcore fans hate it. But WWE likes money and they seem to know what makes money.
I think even some of the hardcore fans are coming around to them TBH.

Neither guy is making a joke of it and both seem to love wrestling and take it seriously,
Old 09-14-2023, 09:23 PM   #5446
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I think even some of the hardcore fans are coming around to them TBH.

The two you listed specifically are unique. They can actually go. They're not just showing up to throw a punch.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-14-2023, 09:49 PM   #5447
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Different topic but catching up on Dynamite...and oh shocker it's Jon Moxley covered in blood on a random episode of Dynamite in a match against a non-threat. Just stupid and adds nothing to any Moxley match at this point.

He did hit a great cutter in the match though, so that was good.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 10:00 PM   #5448
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Different topic but catching up on Dynamite...and oh shocker it's Jon Moxley covered in blood on a random episode of Dynamite in a match against a non-threat. Just stupid and adds nothing to any Moxley match at this point.

He did hit a great cutter in the match though, so that was good.

I have never lost so much interest in somebody as the change from Dean Ambrose to Jon Moxley.

He is a case of needing to have someone over him who says no and keeps him in the box.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 11:16 PM   #5449
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I have never lost so much interest in somebody as the change from Dean Ambrose to Jon Moxley.

He is a case of needing to have someone over him who says no and keeps him in the box.
Ambrose was a lousy character, especially when they tried to sell him as the "wacky/crazy" dude.

I thought his first year in AEW and the stuff he was doing in NJPW while he was fresh out of WWE was decent enough. It's just that his promos and matches are all copy/paste at this point. The worst part is that he's dragging the rest of the BCC down with him.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 11:23 PM   #5450
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moxley is a channel turner for me. I don't understand the appeal and I'd just rather not watch when he's on.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:29 PM   #5451
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Ambrose was a lousy character, especially when they tried to sell him as the "wacky/crazy" dude.

He was fine. He wasn't great. He wasn't bad. He was liked by fans and a good hand. He was believable and reliable in that upper mid card / top of the card tweener who you could put a belt on and be reliable. We all wanted more for him.

Quote:
I thought his first year in AEW and the stuff he was doing in NJPW while he was fresh out of WWE was decent enough. It's just that his promos and matches are all copy/paste at this point. The worst part is that he's dragging the rest of the BCC down with him.

I liked when he first came in. But it has gone off the rails at this point. If he has say in his booking and matches, it needs to be taken away.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-15-2023, 09:14 PM   #5452
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I was kinda excited when he left the WWE with his complaints that they were holding him back creatively. And then he released a really good video introducing himself to AEW that was really eye catching and exciting and interesting.

Then we got Stone Cold Jon Moxley. Then crazy Moxley, then every match is a cut myself Moxley. Then his promo's became the same old same old. then his matches got stale. Then someone rammed Pasta into his head.

And yeah from listening to interviews Moxley not only calls his own shots, but Kahn has him teaching the other wrestlers his greatness.

There are certain wrestlers in AEW that just need to go away whether its like for 6 months or 6 years.

The problem with WWE is that they have solid booking, and good workers for the most part. But they're safe, its sterile, its boring, its made for TV Wrestling.

The problem with AEW after all this time is that they have no clue what they are. Their booking is just too mishmash, and a lot of it is rib based.

AEW really needs to bring in someone to control the wrestlers and say no to their ideas.

WWE needs a serious return to

RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 02:05 AM   #5453
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

The problem with AEW after all this time is that they have no clue what they are. Their booking is just too mishmash, and a lot of it is rib based.

RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!
AEW's major problem is TK would rather book dream matches than build compelling feuds. Don't get me wrong, I love thay we got to see Danielson vs. Okada, etc, but there's just zero buiild.

The sad thing is that they clearly can do it. The Adam Cole/MJF brochacho angle and has been an absolute gold mine. Same with Kenny vs. Take####a.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2023, 07:51 AM   #5454
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rock came back yesterday is the GOAT?

I'd say it's close between him and Steve Austin but I'd go Rock.

From 97-01 I don't think wrestling ever saw 2 bigger stars?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2023, 08:23 AM   #5455
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Anyone watching Wrestlers on Netflix? Interesting look at OVW and its fight to survive with Al Snow running it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:36 PM   #5456
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The Rock came back yesterday is the GOAT?

I'd say it's close between him and Steve Austin but I'd go Rock.

From 97-01 I don't think wrestling ever saw 2 bigger stars?
I've always liked The Rock better but it's hard to go wrong when picking which one was a bigger star.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:39 PM   #5457
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always been on team Stone Cold, but it's close between he and the Rock. Can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:30 PM   #5458
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I've always liked The Rock better but it's hard to go wrong when picking which one was a bigger star.

Wrestling wise at the time?

Austin, hands down. No one sold as much merch, sold out more shows and dominated headlines except Hogan in the 80s.

Overall?

Rock was the biggest name in Hollywood at one point.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-17-2023, 08:06 PM   #5459
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rock and Cena are being scabs right now. No respect for them.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:34 PM   #5460
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Rock and Cena are being scabs right now. No respect for them.
The Rock has always seemed to do the right thing how many crappy losses did he take to Triple H?

Steve Austin made his Summerslam match with Triple H a triple threat because he didn't want to lose to Triple H.

I can't really speak about John Cena as that's when I thought wrestling went down the toilet and I stopped watching.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote