Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #61
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Local brewery thread. Maybe there's some discussion on Monroe Wisconsin Puck.
Hey, hey....don't diss on Minhas...haven't you heard? The daughter is on Dragon's Den! And only totally high-end, super successful, narcissist ######bags get to be on that show.

It is without question the worst "beer" in Calgary. Even worse than High Line, Prairie Dog and Elite.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #62
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
It is without question the worst "beer" in Calgary. Even worse than High Line, Prairie Dog and Elite.
Ha ha, awesome. You forgot Marda Loop.

Wish all of the local breweries nothing but the best and will give the new ones the benefit of a couple years to get things going... that said, there have been plenty that hit the ground running with some awesome beers- Cabin and Establishment being good examples- the owners behind them probably making great beer years before turning it into a business.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #63
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Ha ha, awesome. You forgot Marda Loop.

Wish all of the local breweries nothing but the best and will give the new ones the benefit of a couple years to get things going... that said, there have been plenty that hit the ground running with some awesome beers- Cabin and Establishment being good examples- the owners behind them probably making great beer years before turning it into a business.
I think that comes down to taste though, because I have yet to have a good beer from Cabin.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:33 AM   #64
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Barnes; 02-01-2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: A little aggressive in the sober light of the day.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #65
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a CBC episode with Minhaus a few years ago, and it confirmed just how horrible of people they are. I thought they just made bad beer, but they are also super slimy. They make a GF beer, and it is by far the worst swill I have ever tasted. Not recommended.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #66
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I really like Caravel.
Stopped by today to get some growlers filled only to find a lease termination notice posted on the door.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #67
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stopped by today to get some growlers filled only to find a lease termination notice posted on the door.
Ouch, Caravel is gone?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #68
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fyi for Alberta craft beer lovers, Zero Issue, Banded Peak, Cabin, and Village have teamed up for a great mix pack called "Calgary Cares". 2 beers from each brewery, with proceeds/some of the sale going to Calgary foodbank.

How great is that? Plus, there is a coupon inside for 20% off to use at one of them by June or July I think.

I don't know if anyone else has them, but Calgary co-op for sure is selling them.

Good cause, and good deal all around (makes me even like drinking the Village beers, sorry just normally not a huge fan of them, ha).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #69
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think that comes down to taste though, because I have yet to have a good beer from Cabin.
That phrase literally boggles my mind.

Do you drink Bud Light normally?
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #70
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rumour is:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1490257186
Old 03-07-2020, 09:10 PM   #71
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post

Not every local brewery is good. Shocking I know.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:19 AM   #72
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I give a lot of credit to breweries that are experimenting and putting out unique stuff.

Every brewery I've been to in the barley belt has 6 out of 8 beers on taps set to variations of pale ales (including many IPAs). They're really not doing anything to set themselves apart.

There are only a few places that seem to be pushing the bar. Some of it comes out super weird (like Elite's candy cane stout or Eighty Eight's fruity pebbles) but you get a lot of winners too (Railyard's pumpkin spiced latte nitro stout).

And this coming from someone who really enjoys the 'haze craze'.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #73
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is 100% true.

Just to use Cabin as your example of it, us, well,. .odd.

Trust me, there are some bad tasting breweries out there trying to ride the wave...
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a big beer guy. If I am with friends I drink it when I have to and while I'm not a good judge of what makes a good or bad beer I can't say I've had any that grossed me out besides the bitter stouts. When you say bad tasting are they actually bad or more Bud Light than designer?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #75
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not a big beer guy. If I am with friends I drink it when I have to and while I'm not a good judge of what makes a good or bad beer I can't say I've had any that grossed me out besides the bitter stouts. When you say bad tasting are they actually bad or more Bud Light than designer?
In the past it'd be the latter but now you have specialties like sours or the aforementioned candy cane stout that would make you spit if you were expecting a lager type taste. At least the super bitter beers were still beer-like.

That being said, I know people that absolutely love those beers. It's just that the word 'beer' is not descriptive enough anymore.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #76
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
This is 100% true.

Just to use Cabin as your example of it, us, well,. .odd.

Trust me, there are some bad tasting breweries out there trying to ride the wave...
Oh yah there are quite a few.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #77
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post

Super Saturation and Super Duper Saturation are both fantastic.
Edit* Quoted the wrong post!
Meant for Weitz
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #78
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely agree with that but Cabin is pretty much the best local beer I've had.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #79
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another vote here for Prairie Dog. I work just down the street and we slip in there for lunch sometimes and the food is great, some of the best brisket I have ever had in Calgary. The Ginger Lime Gose is the way to go on the taps, I have brought a few growlers home on the weekends a few times and everyone seems to like it. I wish they would bottle it and sell it in stores.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #80
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I give a lot of credit to breweries that are experimenting and putting out unique stuff.

Every brewery I've been to in the barley belt has 6 out of 8 beers on taps set to variations of pale ales (including many IPAs). They're really not doing anything to set themselves apart.

There are only a few places that seem to be pushing the bar. Some of it comes out super weird (like Elite's candy cane stout or Eighty Eight's fruity pebbles) but you get a lot of winners too (Railyard's pumpkin spiced latte nitro stout).

And this coming from someone who really enjoys the 'haze craze'.
We've been trying out as many of the local breweries as we can, kind of doing one or so every weekend when we can. I would agree with this about lot's of ales and IPA's which is kind of a bummer for me as I don't care for IPA's at all, nor any beer with a strong hops content. We've never had problems finding a beer to our liking at most of the places but generally only one or maybe two at the most.

Prairie Dog, Citizen, and Railyard are probably our top three so far as they seemed to have more to offer our tastes. Cabin was good but heavy on the IPA style beers so the selection was very limited for our taste.

Maybe some of it is seasonal and once summer rolls around there will be more of the 'lighter' varieties that go great with hot weather. By lighter I mean not a heavy and/or hoppy brew.

Overall we are really enjoying trying out all the places. I just wish they all were not in the NE or SE which is opposite side of town for us.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote