Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2023, 07:12 PM   #1241
sch19lks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
He's an agitator, a pest, and a tough nut to crack!
He has a lot of tools honestly. At the start of last season, I had him pegged as a mid first rounder and thought he would be a riser throughout the year. Obviously that didn’t happen. But I still really like his game.

The only forward I noticed more was Yager. A lot can happen in a year though
sch19lks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sch19lks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 07:16 PM   #1242
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch19lks View Post
He has a lot of tools honestly. At the start of last season, I had him pegged as a mid first rounder and thought he would be a riser throughout the year. Obviously that didn’t happen. But I still really like his game.

The only forward I noticed more was Yager. A lot can happen in a year though
My boy Calum Ritchie led that tourney in scoring with 10 points!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 08:48 PM   #1243
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Willander is a riser who’s appearing on lists in the 16-20 range. Seeing the organizational weakness at RD, I could see the Flames taking him. Defencemen always seem to go higher than their pre-draft rankings.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 02:33 AM   #1244
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts:

-RHC Timur Mukhanov gets some love from scouts, despite standing only 5'9", and 170lbs. He's fairly rare, in that he spent the majority of the year in the VHL, which is Russia's second-tier pro league, with 8 points in 31 games, after putting up 17 points in 15 MHL games. He even got a game in the KHL, which is impressive, considering he doesn't turn 18 until June. Mukhanov is another sparkplug who plays with relentless pace and energy, and makes up for his size somewhat by being a high-end skater, with great edges and agility. Like most good small players, he has learned to be slippery and elusive, but he owns the kind of skating and puck control that backs opponents up. He's hard to catch, but he's not scared of competing in the hard areas, or taking a hit to make a play. He will muck it up in front of the net, looking for rebounds and tips, or in the corners against larger opponents. He has good vision, and makes good decisions very quickly, and makes things happen in the offensive zone. He is also a good practitioner of deception and manipulation, and can draw defenders to him, thus opening up the ice for teammates. In transition, he's one of the few players on his VHL team, which is one of the worst teams in the league, to be able to start breakouts, and carry the puck through the neutral zone, gaining entry with control, although he doesn't always know what to do when he crosses the blue-line. Mukhanov creates plenty of opportunities for himself, but he needs work on his shot, and his finishing skills in general. Defensively, he doesn't make as much of an impact, and he can be caught puck-watching, or floating- he's far more aggressive in other areas of the ice. The big problem with TM is projecting his offense to the NHL, and answering the question of whether or not he could play in a team's bottom-6.

-Left-handed RW Alexander Rykov had a remarkably similar year to that of Mukhanov, but he most likely has a better ceiling/floor ratio. Rykov, like Mukhanov, played the majority of his hockey in Russia's second-tier men's league, the VHL, with an impressive 11 points in 20 games. He got 6 games in the KHL, which is remarkable for a kid who doesn't turn 18 until July, but he spent a lot of time on the IR. Rykov plays a very mature, 200-ft game, with an emphasis on defense and transition. He's smart, hard-working, and responsible, and stands 5'11'',170lbs. Rykov is an excellent skater, and is said to have one of the smoothest strides coming out of Russia this year- although there are those who say he has room to improve in most areas of his skating. Add to that his great puck-control, and solid 1-on-1 moves, and you have a player that can weave through the neutral zone, and cross the line with full control. In the offensive zone, he forechecks very well, regularly causing turnovers. Rykov is far from being the flashiest, or most prolific of offensive players, instead keeping it simple- but he has good IQ and vision. He is not the most dominant goal-scorer either, but he has an ok shot. Defensively, he shows excellent awareness, and aggression, and can get physical. He stays active, and is good at cutting off time and space. Very good anticipation to intercept plays, and get the puck going back the other way on the breakout. Rykov is very raw, but has some potential in him to translate his game to a middle-six winger in the NHL, but it is not an imposibility that he could play in a bottom-six checking role.

-6'0",172lb LHRW Nikita Susuyev is a bit of an enigma, with some very mixed reviews, but I think it's fair to say that he has a lot more in him than he showed this year. 38 MHL games with MHK Spartak Moskva (28 points), 3 games in the VHL, and 8 games in the KHL where he scored 2 goals in one game as a 17 year-old. Pavel Malygin of Recruit Scouting says he was less engaged when he was returned to the MHL, and that he doesn't see an NHL player there. At any rate, Susuyev is a very good skater, with good balance and agility, and by watching his highlights you can tell he's a bit more "opportunistic" than a facilitator. He's very good at finishing, but his plays in the offensive zone are very simple and basic. He will fight for pucks along the wall, and he's very sneaky in finding holes to attack high-danger. He is said to have the deception, stickhandling, and puck-protection to be useful in transition, and is a smart forechecker. There is flashes of play-driving ability here, and he's got the skill and shiftiness to elude defenders. Defensively, he's not as effective, as he doesn't apply enough pressure to attackers, although he positions himself well, and he can be pressured into turning over the puck. There's room for him to grow his game, as he has the athleticism and physical tools already, and I think one could say that Susuyev is more potential than finished product.

-LHC Yegor Rimashevsky is 6'3"198lbs, and can really skate, with excellent straight-ahead speed, and good edges and agility to evade checkers. 26 points in 29 MHL games, but he lost a big portion of the season to injury. He's quite amazing to watch. His size and speed alone are enough to get him noticed. He also has an excellent one-timer, and a hard, accurate wrister- both of which he can score with from far out. He has a real knack for finding and exploiting soft spots in coverage, and has soft hands in tight. Obviously, he's adept at winning the battles and gaining contested pucks, but it has been said that he prefers open ice. He likes to drive around defenders and cut to the middle to unleash his shot. Very good puck-protection, and seems to stickhandle fairly well. Doesn't seem to be that much of a playmaker, and sticks to making simple passes. Apparently, he is a good forechecker, but he's excellent in switching to the backcheck, and uses his size and stick to close all lanes and play good shutdown hockey. There's whispers that he doesn't have great linemates, which affects his numbers, but I've also read that he can be lazy and inconsistent, and that he doesn't play as hard in games that don't matter. It will be interesting to see where he is taken, or if he is taken, but that size/speed combo would be hard to resist.

-5'9",159lb Playmaking winger Yegor Klimovich destroyed the MHL this season, with 49 points in 36 games- good for 17th in scoring, and 2nd for under-18 players. Klimovich is an excellent skater, short of being elite, but he's a one-man highlight machine, and an offensively-driven player. His IQ, vision, and creativity are all off the charts, and he consistently creates high-danger opportunities for himself and his teammates. He has great edges, agility, and stickhandling to shake off defenders. In breakouts, he picks up speed by circling in the defensive zone, and then finding open ice to make himself available for the pass. Alas, there are severe detriments to his game that make some believe he won't make it in the NHL: First off, he's almost invisible defensively, and tends to coast and cherry-pick, often leaving the zone too early. Secondly, he is not physical at all, and often avoids contact, and he can be pushed around. He can even be pressured into making mistakes, and giving up the puck, although he does show the ability to deke around opponents and make them look silly sometimes. He seems to need the kind of open-ice that can only be found in Europe, and doesn't have a good small-area game. His killer offense doesn't override his deficiencies right now.

-6'0"163lb RW Ignat Lutfullin is a player I've seen creeping up some of the rankings, even up to the third round on some. Lutfullin had 27 points in 39 games for SKA-Varyagi St.Petersburg of the MHL, who were one of the worst teams, and lowest-scoring, in the league. It's very hard to put up numbers when you are playing in the defensive zone all game, and surprisingly, his 27 points were first on the team. Nevertheless, Lutfullin basically drives the offense for his team, and doesn't get a lot of help. On a better team, he might have players to play with that are good enough to finish his high-end plays. Many say he's one of the most exciting prospects in Russia, and he's often the best player on the ice. He's bursting with creativity and vision, and pushes the pace. He can deke opponents, and weave through traffic with his 1-on-1 skills and stickhandling. There are those who say he needs to simplify his game, instead of always being flashy and trying to get gasps from the crowd. His defensive game is a bit lacklustre as well, but there's no denying his offensive skills- the problem is, how does his game translate to the NHL?

Last edited by Sandman; 05-30-2023 at 02:35 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 04:40 AM   #1245
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love Kalan Lind! You're right, his offensive numbers should've been higher, but I believe he has more to show. Here's my write-up:

-I have compared LW Kalan Lind to a poor man's Brad Marchand. This is the kid who was running around, playing physical, and stirring the pot so much in the Top Prospects Game, that he had to fight 6'4" Alex Pharand. Lind is not at all afraid of the rough-going, fighting hard in the dirty areas, or driving opponents crazy. Likes to crash the net, and has a knack for scoring garbage goals, but he has a good shot from farther out as well. He might be one of the best forecheckers in this draft, and has a non-stop motor. His hard-working nature, and competitiveness makes him a quality, 200-ft player, and he uses his physicality and stick to pressure puck-carriers, and separate man from puck. Though he plays like a bull in a china shop, he also has good IQ and vision, with strong playmaking ability, and a good off-puck game. Kole Lind's brother had 44 points in 43 games for the Red Deer Rebels. He's 6'0", but is listed at only 154lbs, so he needs to seriously bulk up.
I personally haven't seen him but asking I was told he'll likely fall due to his inability to keep his emotions in check thus taking really stupid penalties at bad times, give him credit for having a huge heart but he's had his bell rung a few times which is scary as well, just guessing, but if he makes the NHL he's likely more of a Ryan Lomberg than a Brad Marchand, never know though.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 12:27 PM   #1246
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1663597658072838144

For the record, I’d be very happy with Cristall at #16
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 12:30 PM   #1247
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When someone has an NHLe as high as Cristall/DeBrincat/Savard, they are actually quite low risk.

It's the people with bad NHLes who are more risky. Of course this is in a vacuum, irrespective of other important attributes like defense, size, speed, durability, etc.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 02:13 PM   #1248
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I personally haven't seen him but asking I was told he'll likely fall due to his inability to keep his emotions in check thus taking really stupid penalties at bad times, give him credit for having a huge heart but he's had his bell rung a few times which is scary as well, just guessing, but if he makes the NHL he's likely more of a Ryan Lomberg than a Brad Marchand, never know though.
Thanks Snuffy! For the record, I don’t want anyone to think I was saying he will hit the heights of Marchand, the comparison is stylistically, not numbers. I think he’ll make a good middle-6 winger. Thanks for the info!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 01:20 AM   #1249
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts (Anybody sick of me yet?):

-It will be interesting to see where C/W Easton Cowan gets picked after the postseason he just had with the London Knights, putting up 21 points in 20 games, after a regular season of 53 points in 68 games. Cowan and fellow draft-eligible Denver Barkey spent a lot of time together on a line this year, showing a lot of chemistry. EC is hovering around average in most categories, except his motor and compete level, which are pretty much elite. Despite being only 5'10", he's fearless, and he plays with relentless pace, seemingly never slowing down, and going all out every shift. His brain is fairly quick too, and he's able to make decisions at top speed with an above-average offensive toolkit- including quality playmaking vision and IQ. His shot is not the strongest, but he gets it off quickly and more importantly, with accuracy. He's not afraid to fight for loose pucks in the corners, or along the boards, against opponents much larger than him, and he's not afraid to engage them physically. He drives the net like he was 6'2", and plays hard on the forecheck, causing headaches for opposing players, and forcing them into turnovers. Cowan is very useful defensively, breaking up rushes with his stick, and his tenacity, but he also has good anticipation and awareness to be at the right spot at the right time- and he often kills rushes in the neutral zone. Skating-wise, he's somewhat average- he's quick and elusive, with good edges, and he's fine in a straight-line, but he needs more explosiveness, acceleration, and power in his stride to get more separation from checkers. His stride looks a bit clunky, maybe slighly choppy, and a bit bowlegged, but some time with a skating coach will help, and some of his other issues will get better as he gets stronger. This kid could concievably make it to the show as a bottom-6 checker if he improves his mobility, but his offense right now is hard to project. He will need time either way. 4th/5th round.

-6'1"176lb RHC Brad Gardiner (son of former NHLer Bruce Gardiner) has been getting some love, ranked #73 by MacKenzie, and #88 by Button. Playing for the powerhouse Ottawa 67's, one would imagine that he's playing down the lineup a bit, and he has indeed been everywhere from the 4th line to the top line. Still, he managed 39 points in 68 games, followed by a paltry 4 points in 11 playoff games. He is a Jack-of-all-trades, and his coaches entrust him on both sides of special teams, and every other situation there is in a hockey game. Gardiner already has size to work with, but he has some other transferable skills. First off, Gardiner plays a pretty cerebral style, highlighted by what some call a high-end off-puck game- he knows where to go to, and when, to make himself an option to recieve passes in high-danger, or to connect to other plays. His efforts open up space and time for himself and teammates, creating opportunities. He is intelligent, and highly aware in all situations. He also has a hard, accurate wrister with a sharp release. This sense and awareness extends to the defensive zone, where he uses smart positioning and a good stick to clog lanes and cause turnovers, securing possession for his team, and facilitating the breakout- where his off-puck play gives his D an option. Gardiner will stick his nose into any of the battle areas, and he has a good motor with high compete. Skating-wise, he's around average, as his stride lacks some power- limiting his acceleration and top-speed, but he's good in a straight line. His mobility will get better as he builds strength. This may be a player with a fairly high ceiling, as he still has more to show, but if all else fails, he has the tools to play a bottom-6 checking role, with a splash of offense. 3rd/4th round.

-Beckett Hendrickson is a 6'1",168lb LW who played in the USDP this year, and is the son of former NHLer Darby Hendrickson. He is still fairly young by Draft standards, not turning 18 until June. 50 points in 73 total games in the USDP, which is repectable, but not spectacular. He also registered 2 points in 7 games at the U-18's, where he hardly had any playing time, getting as low as 4:52 TOI in the Gold-medal game against Sweden. A comparable I've read is to Andrew Copp, although it's said that Hendrickson's game is a lot quieter at C, and that he looks better playing LW at this level. Hendrickson skates reasonably well, with a touch of agility to weave through traffic, excellent puck-protection, and plays a responsible 200-ft game. He is as tenacious on the forecheck as he is on the backcheck, and while he's not elite in any category, he seems to have good IQ and awareness in all areas, but his compete level might be his best asset. Very good PKer as well. He's not afraid to get his nose dirty, or battle in hard areas, and plays a grinding, physical game from the wing. Right now, he's projecting more like a bottom-6 checker, but he does have some above-average offensive tools, such as a hard shot, his nose for the net, and a touch of passing ability- although he keeps it simple. Looks to be a long-term project, but has a solid base of defensive skills, with the potential to grow his offense. 5th round.

-6'2"RHD Kaden Hammell started off the year with the 3rd-best team in the WHL, the Kamloops Blazers, putting up 10 points in 36 games playing down the lineup, behind some older players. His situation changed for the better when he was traded, along with 3 other players and 10 draft-picks, to the Everett Silvertips for Ryan Hofer and Olen Zellweger. With a little more ice-time and responsibility, he had over 0.5 ppg, with 16 points in 31 games. Hammell already has a strong base of defensive ability, but he's just coming in to his own on the other side of the ice. There's no shortage of hockey sense here, and he leaves his mark every game. Defensively, he plays an energetic and intense physical game, and is a regular PKer, but he's remarkably disciplined himself, with only 34 PIM's. He has no problem battling in the dirty areas, or in front of the net, and he's able to apply pressure to puck-carriers. His skating has improved by leaps and bounds over where it was last year, and can no longer be considered a weakness- however, he still needs some work in this area. He has a long, powerful stride, but needs to further upgrade his agility, and top-speed. Hammell exhibits good puck-protection and control, but he could use better puck skills, although he has a solid first-pass. Offensively, he is already able to disribute from the line, and he can extend offensive zone time by keeping the puck in, and not giving up on plays. The team that selects him must be willing to give him some time, but he's trending up on a steep curve. 3rd-5th round.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-31-2023 at 01:22 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 01:43 AM   #1250
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
(Anybody sick of me yet?):
Nope
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 02:03 AM   #1251
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Nope
Thanks Snuffy!
Old 05-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #1252
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cristall in round 2 would be totally dreamy.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 09:07 AM   #1253
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's precedent though. Stankoven dropped. I'm still mad we didn't take him with our 2nd.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 09:11 AM   #1254
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Cristall in round 2 would be totally dreamy.
I bet he'd go with a 32-40 pick. I think he still goes in the first round. If the Flame could get the Kings pick from Columbus I'd be happy if they took him at 22
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:24 AM   #1255
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I bet he'd go with a 32-40 pick. I think he still goes in the first round. If the Flame could get the Kings pick from Columbus I'd be happy if they took him at 22
I totally agree, and I think the example of Stankoven essentially guarantees that someone will take him before end of round 1.

But I also thought that about Stankoven...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 11:31 AM   #1256
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Cristall doesn't have bad skating per se, but he's still a pizza skater if that makes sense. Speed looks fine, edges are meh but the mechanics are that of an 8 year old.

Not sure why the NHL. Com guys have Sale dropping, that guys a top 5 talent stuck in a deep deep draft. No way he makes it to 16 let alone 13 The only thing I don't like about Sale for the Flames is he's a pure LW.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:41 AM   #1257
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah Cristall doesn't have bad skating per se, but he's still a pizza skater if that makes sense. Speed looks fine, edges are meh but the mechanics are that of an 8 year old.

Not sure why the NHL. Com guys have Sale dropping, that guys a top 5 talent stuck in a deep deep draft. No way he makes it to 16 let alone 13 The only thing I don't like about Sale for the Flames is he's a pure LW.
I thought he was a RW?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:49 AM   #1258
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
yeah cristall doesn't have bad skating per se, but he's still a pizza skater if that makes sense. Speed looks fine, edges are meh but the mechanics are that of an 8 year old.

Not sure why the nhl. Com guys have sale dropping, that guys a top 5 talent stuck in a deep deep draft. No way he makes it to 16 let alone 13 the only thing i don't like about sale for the flames is he's a pure lw.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1662104624432828419

https://twitter.com/user/status/1662105283597078529
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:58 AM   #1259
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't buy Baders predictor on Sale. Czech league is a men's league it and I'd rather a more European projection comparable like SWE or FIN if I'm honest.

He's a top pick in his age grouping. Analyzing a rarely analyzed league for draft comps isn't great. I feel like there's insufficient data there.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #1260
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did a two round mock draft on this site: https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/

Ended up liking a bunch of players left at 16, so I traded the 16th and 48th picks to Columbus for the 22nd and 34th Overall. Got Gabe Perrault at 22 and Willander at 34, I'd be ecstatic with that draft.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft