Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #4061
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be a few interesting things at E3, I'm interested to potentially learn more about Starfield
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #4062
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's a PS3 game.

Cyberpunk would count, if it works properly yet. Last I checked it was basically only for people with PCs. Good PCs.
Works really nicely on PS5 now. Though, it's always worked pretty good for me, just slightly cleaned up now.

EDIT: Though, technically, that's a PS4 game... that only works on the PS5... funny.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #4063
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Should be a few interesting things at E3, I'm interested to potentially learn more about Starfield
Hopefully. I really want a new AAA game to play. I need something I can invest in totally, great story, great gameplay, great polish. Just feels really meh outside of Cyberpunk and Ghost over the past year or so.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #4064
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Works really nicely on PS5 now. Though, it's always worked pretty good for me, just slightly cleaned up now.

EDIT: Though, technically, that's a PS4 game... that only works on the PS5... funny.
I don't really think it is. I think it was always a PS5 game that they also released for PS4 just because they thought they'd sell more copies that way. I'm not even sure if they'd have done it that way except that they knew how hard PS5s were going to be to get ahold of.

Anyway, when you say it works well on the PS5, are there still big framerate drops and significant concessions in terms of texture quality and other visual settings compared to PC?
Quote:
Hopefully. I really want a new AAA game to play. I need something I can invest in totally, great story, great gameplay, great polish. Just feels really meh outside of Cyberpunk and Ghost over the past year or so.
Not even at that level. A few quality titles from non-AAA publishers (I'm thinking of things in the Senua's Sacrifice / Plague Tale: Innocence / Journey / Edith Finch category) would do the trick.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 06-11-2021 at 02:43 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #4065
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I always felt like it was built for PC, and next-gen Xbox Series S/X and PS5 consoles, then dialed backward just enough to run on the Xbox One and PS4 generation, and that's why it was so especially bad on that generation at launch. I bought it for my One X and requested a refund after a day, it was just a mess.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #4066
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno the people continuing to jump through hoops on why they don’t need a PS5 gets funnier by the month (on a week when it got two pretty big exclusive releases too). Even if you’re finding ways to disregard the PS5 exclusives for some reason, it’s still been an awesome way to play PS4 games too. Tons of them enhanced to 4K/60fps. Way faster loading and cool controller features. Plus you’re already future proofed - eventually everything will be PS5 only, it’s just a matter of time. Battlefield is basically bringing the real version of the game to only next gen.

Like yeah I guess you don’t need a PS5 but nobody needs a PS4 either. If you’re interested at all in keeping up with console gaming, it’s essential (or a Series X).

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 06-11-2021 at 07:33 PM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #4067
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I've outgrown Kingdom Hearts. KH3 just isn't turning my crank like they used to. The cut scenes are painfully boring for starters -- the gameplay, too.

Also, i know that mickey mouse voice actor Wayne Allwine died, but wtf is this new guy, he sounds terrible

Might play 1 and 2 just to see how they hold up. The first has gotta be 20 years old now
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:14 AM   #4068
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It seems to me that if you want a PS5 you can get one either through paying a bit of a premium (and at this point it's not THAT bad a premium) or through some diligence and patience.

The issue is that there aren't really any games for it that are worth playing, as far as I can tell... There's Miles Morales and that's about it.

Returnal was probably the best game I’ve played in the last 5+ years. For the 3-4 weeks it took me to pass it, it consumed my thoughts. Felt very original, looked and felt awesome.
I have no fear of rest mode on my PS5, so wasn’t bothered by lack of a save.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #4069
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I know it's an old game but I just played Dead Space and it blew me away. So much fun! They really captured that sci-fi /horror movie feel.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #4070
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finishing up Resident Evil Village and it's been great. It had the perfect balance of scares, action, puzzles, and exploration which i think the series has struggled with since number 4. Really enjoyed the variety of the 4 main bosses and their levels as well. Overall I'd have to give it an 8.5 to a 9.0, really fun to playthrough.

Also, probably selling my PS5 copy in a few days so if anyone is interested send me a message.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #4071
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems to me that if you want a PS5 you can get one either through paying a bit of a premium (and at this point it's not THAT bad a premium) or through some diligence and patience.

The issue is that there aren't really any games for it that are worth playing, as far as I can tell... There's Miles Morales and that's about it.
Some people just don’t like buying expensive electronics (or anything, really) on kajiji or other resellers. To me, commercially available means on the shelves at a mainstream retailer.

As for diligence, the window of availability might be a handful of hours over the next few months. Hitting those windows requires either extraordinary diligence or blind luck.

For most people interested in getting a PS5, it won’t be readily available until late in the fall.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #4072
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Some people just don’t like buying expensive electronics (or anything, really) on kajiji or other resellers. To me, commercially available means on the shelves at a mainstream retailer.

As for diligence, the window of availability might be a handful of hours over the next few months. Hitting those windows requires either extraordinary diligence or blind luck.

For most people interested in getting a PS5, it won’t be readily available until late in the fall.
Exactly, this is why I haven't got one either yet. I usually wait a year after initial release (or until a next gen game comes out that blows me away in an ad), until demand has calmed down a bit, but with supply issues since it's release, that hasn't happened at all yet. And yes, the alternative methods needed to acquire one turns me off as well.

My plan was to get one after Christmas, but if it's still like this by then, I'll wait longer.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #4073
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Returnal was probably the best game I’ve played in the last 5+ years. For the 3-4 weeks it took me to pass it, it consumed my thoughts. Felt very original, looked and felt awesome.
I have no fear of rest mode on my PS5, so wasn’t bothered by lack of a save.
I guess that's fair. It has no appeal to me but it's clearly a real PS5 title and while not a AAA game (which is in my view not a bad thing) it's clearly an important one.

... So depending on your views about Miles Morales being an expansion pack for Spider Man or a legitimate sequel, that's two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

As to the first, fair enough, I was just pointing out that if you really want one, and are willing to pay a bit more than the retail price - and it is a bit, it's not like you're trying to buy a graphics card here - you can have one within the hour. There's an option.

As to the second, I think you're exaggerating. There have been a bunch of twitter accounts and websites that if you just subscribe to you'll get an alert and you click "buy" and you're good. Granted, you might not notice that e-mail and have to wait for the next one. But we've had probably a dozen people post here about wanting to get one, get pointed to those services that track in-stock status, and end up with a unit from a retailer shortly afterwards. I haven't pursued it because as noted above there are no games for it that I really want to play, but I have never gotten the impression that it would be that difficult to obtain one if I decided it was something I wanted to get.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #4074
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not in a rush to buy; still have a backlog of PS 4 games to play...

on the PS 4 I waited for about a year - seeing Bloodborne commercials is what made me finally move on from my PS 3.

I'll probably hold out until Christmas as well - I should note that I think the PS 5 lineup is waaay better than what was offered for the PS 4 in its first year.

Not going to reward scalpers regardless of what the up charge is.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #4075
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Walmart (among other retailers) have XB Series X in stock in many stores now. Stores are also making room for the PS5, as well.

We may be a lot closer to seeing widespread availability for these two consoles than previously expected.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #4076
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:40 PM   #4077
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Just finishing up Resident Evil Village and it's been great. It had the perfect balance of scares, action, puzzles, and exploration which i think the series has struggled with since number 4. Really enjoyed the variety of the 4 main bosses and their levels as well. Overall I'd have to give it an 8.5 to a 9.0, really fun to playthrough.

Also, probably selling my PS5 copy in a few days so if anyone is interested send me a message.
I enjoyed large parts of the game, thought it was great. The last stretch really tainted my overall impression though, I felt the story made absolutely no sense (even applying RE standards) and I thought it was way too action-heavy late in the game. The first 3/4s of the game were excellent though.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #4078
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I enjoyed large parts of the game, thought it was great. The last stretch really tainted my overall impression though, I felt the story made absolutely no sense (even applying RE standards) and I thought it was way too action-heavy late in the game. The first 3/4s of the game were excellent though.
Definitely see what you mean, wrote that prior to the Stronghold.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #4079
theJuice
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Great update, and bonus being that its free for anyone who bought the original PS4 version. Just the load times themselves make a huge difference, and the graphics look even more beautiful. Played it once last year, and I'm going through it again and its a just as good the second time, with all the improvements. DLC is around $24ish CDN but heavily recommended to anyone who enjoyed the base game.

Playing it in 60fps mode makes it feel so good. They hit this one out of the park.
theJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:13 PM   #4080
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, watching that footage just depresses me. Why did they have to #### it up.