Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #1281
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Big boys don’t cry! That and don’t be a tattletale are the first 2 lessons I remember learning.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #1282
Demzy84
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Guilty until proven innocent but . . . . Balfour Der handling the case . . . .hmmmm
Wow, guess we need to judge the guilt of someone based on who they hire....

If I was innocent and my life was in the hands of a judge/jury, you damn right I would hire the best of the best to defend me in court. Wouldn't want to take any chances on ruining my life
Demzy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #1283
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like there’s a civil claim too. With detailed allegations. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ault-1.4659872
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #1284
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Morgan Freeman. You are up next. I wonder how many more hollywood actors are nervous just waiting for the news to hit.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/enter...ons/index.html
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #1285
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I swear to god that if Tom Hanks gets accused of anything we can safely assume that the entire population of the world are all terrible people.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #1286
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

For f--- sakes, not Morgan Freeman. Guess I'm gonna have to find someone else to narrate my life story now.

Quote:
In all, 16 people spoke to CNN about Freeman as part of this investigation, eight of whom said they were victims of what some called harassment and others called inappropriate behavior by Freeman. Eight said they witnessed Freeman's alleged conduct. These 16 people together described a pattern of inappropriate behavior by Freeman on set, while promoting his movies and at his production company Revelations Entertainment.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #1287
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I swear to god that if Tom Hanks gets accused of anything we can safely assume that the entire population of the world are all terrible people.
It would guarantee him to be the President of the USA in 2020 though.

I'm surprised there aren't more athletes being outed
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #1288
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
For f--- sakes, not Morgan Freeman. Guess I'm gonna have to find someone else to narrate my life story now.

It's going to make those Skytrain trips next month a bit awkward.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #1289
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freeman also, allegedly, had an affair with his step-granddaughter. The rumours were originally from 2009, but she was murdered in 2015 by her boyfriend. Just last month some texts have come out during the trial, and (given the allegations) seem to confirm that the rumours were true. The boyfriend testified that Morgan had a sexual inappropriate relationship with her as well.

Quote:
Davenport texted: ‘When it comes to . . . your grandfather, there’s a submissive love that will always be there.’ And messages from Hines, in which she alluded to trouble with another man, read: ‘I dont ask him for advice. He was calling to ask me . . . I blocked him for myself not for you because men who equal grandpa feelings dont need to be in my life at all [sic].’
https://metro.co.uk/2018/04/24/morga...urder-7493422/

To make it that much worse, Freeman raised her as a small child and the original rumours suggested the affair started as she was a teen. Possibility she got Woody-Allened

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-24-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #1290
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It's the relative silence around musicians and pop stars that leaves me scratching my head. Probably half the men enshrined in the rock and roll hall of fame are guilty of statutory rape, at the very least.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #1291
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It would guarantee him to be the President of the USA in 2020 though.

I wonder if the primary difference is that athletes are generally segregated at work, meaning they essentially go to work, perform, and compete against the same sex.

Not that it completely eliminates that opportunity, but I would think a larger issue resonating through the athletic world would be infidelity.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #1292
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's the relative silence around musicians and pop stars that leaves me scratching my head. Probably half the men enshrined in the rock and roll hall of fame are guilty of statutory rape, at the very least.

I'd say on average there's a big difference in the types of personalities of musicians and actors or Hollywood execs. The later seems to attract a lot of people with psychopathic attributes (large egos, superficial charm, adept liers, etc) which explains the high number of predators. Whereas in music you have a lot more introverted artists, not guys who would normally seek power over others. Even the most bombastic personalities on-stage were often recluse and shy when the lights weren't on (https://www.ranker.com/list/introver...s/ranker-music). Plus that group had women throwing themselves at them daily, why go out of your way to creep on women when there's a buffet right in front of you?

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 05-24-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #1293
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'd say on average there's a big difference in the types of personalities of musicians and actors or Hollywood execs. The later seems to attract a lot of people with psychopathic attributes (large egos, superficial charm, adept liers, etc) which explains the high number of predators. Whereas in music you have a lot more introverted artists, not guys who would normally seek power over others. Even the most bombastic personalities on-stage were often recluse and shy when the lights weren't on (https://www.ranker.com/list/introver...s/ranker-music). Plus that group had women throwing themselves at them daily, why go out of your way to creep on women when there's a buffet right in front of you?
There were plenty of animals in rock and roll when it came to women. Don Henley, Jimmy Paige, and John Bonham all immediately spring to mind.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #1294
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Plus that group had women throwing themselves at them daily, why go out of your way to creep on women when there's a buffet right in front of you?
When you get something easily and frequently, you don't want it anymore...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #1295
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

that's really bad timing for Vancouver as they were going to roll out Morgan Freeman voiceovers for transit.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #1296
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
that's really bad timing for Vancouver as they were going to roll out Morgan Freeman voiceovers for transit.

Seth Rogan has volunteered to replace Freeman.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #1297
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd prefer Jeff Bridges did mine. "The Fuzz abides."
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #1298
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
When you get something easily and frequently, you don't want it anymore...
And on the other hand, when that’s your “normal,” how well-adjusted are you when it comes to dealing with situations where it’s not “easy”?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #1299
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...abuse-of-women

The President of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Paige Patterson, has been "removed" from his position over a recent flood of reports of misogynistic comments and questionable views regarding women (See here, and here). He will be retired to a new position as President Emeritus and Theologian in Residence; he and his wife will be provided with permanent residency on the Seminary Grounds at the newly opened Baptist Heritage Center, which will also house the Pattersons' collections.

In another twist, Patterson before his dismissal retaliated against an outspoken Ph.D. student at his University—having him fired from his job, and revoking his scholarship.

This one is of particular interest to me, since Patterson was instrumental in the purchase of purported Dead Sea Scrolls fragments by SWBTS directly from a well known family of antiquities dealers—with whom he maintains a long-time close friendship. These fragments are unprovenanced, as of yet unpublished, and some of which are suspected forgeries. There are other weird links between misogyny, sexual harassment and trafficking in unprovenanced textual artefacts, and I have a colleague who has been rebuked within the guild for raising questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-24-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #1300
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I just watched Shawshank last night after reading about the Vancouver Skytrain thing and getting a hankering to get some Freeman fix.

SOB.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote