Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #2301
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You can absolutely have a child while employed. Of course you can.

I dont know what to tell you man...you're talking about show business. It operates differently than the rest of the world.

I don't see what that has to do with labour laws (assuming they have such a law in Cali).

Everyone already knows some industries willfully break the law without consequence. That doesn't make it right. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #2302
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don't see what that has to do with labour laws (assuming they have such a law in Cali).

Everyone already knows some industries willfully break the law without consequence. That doesn't make it right. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Then I cant help you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #2303
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

On one hand, it's important that we have protections for women who plan on starting families to provide things like maternity leave, protection against workplace discrimination or dismissal for doing so, etc.

On the other, I personally know someone who has a stated goal to find a job, and go off her birth control once the probationary period has ended so she can take maternity leave. Yes, she voiced this out loud. She lives with her husband in her mom's house, has not held a stable job in her life, but she will stick it out three months so she can get paid mat leave.

Is that an edge case? You betcha, but that doesn't make me feel any better about it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #2304
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant say for sure but my guess would be as an actor you are not an employee, you are a contractor and they can cancel the contract anytime they want for any reason, there are no doubt financial penalties for cancelling it but beyond that I doubt the labour code applies.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #2305
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I have a hard time thinking of someone to whom this doesn't apply. Virtually every person we know as a champion of ______ rights is a total monster in real life and it has turned out they just had a really good publicist.
I don't know about a total monster but almost always a giant hypocrite.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #2306
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I cant say for sure but my guess would be as an actor you are not an employee, you are a contractor and they can cancel the contract anytime they want for any reason, there are no doubt financial penalties for cancelling it but beyond that I doubt the labour code applies.
It shouldnt even come to that.

As an artist you should be attached and dedicated to the project. If you arent, then dont take the job. There are others in line.

If its a long-term project, then sure. There has to be some give-and-take there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #2307
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It shouldnt even come to that.

As an artist you should be attached and dedicated to the project. If you arent, then dont take the job. There are others in line.

If its a long-term project, then sure. There has to be some give-and-take there.
it can't be so cut and dried.
sometimes life happens. pregnancy or some other reason.
and if it happens to someone who works for you, don't be a complete dick about it.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #2308
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I cant speak about the story, but I dont have an issue with 'Writing Around It.'

But at the same time, this is a choice.
Do we want employers dictating when employees have children?

Because their answer is always going to be never.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:29 PM   #2309
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Do we want employers dictating when employees have children?

Because their answer is always going to be never.
Be smarter than that. Its the entertainment industry, you have to pick and choose your moments.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #2310
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If I remember right, they did work with CC through her pregnancy by basically putting her in bed for most of the 5th or 6th season, then put her in a coma until the last season where they gave her a pretty nice ending.

At the time it didn't feel like they abruptly fired her, they did finish her story line. I've read some complaints about Whedon. But there were also stories that CC was difficult to work with in the end.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #2311
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Angel only had 5 seasons and she was in one episode in the last season. The only reason she agreed to do that episode was because she felt fans deserved it after she was abruptly dropped.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #2312
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah got the season thing confused I'm old, sue me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #2313
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Being a complete ass to people on set is pretty part and parcel for the film and TV world and it is not limited to actors and directors. Being #### on is pretty much in some job descriptions. It's better than it was but still a very toxic work environment on top of privilege and entitlement up the wazoo.

Take every story you've ever heard and multiply it by 10 and you might be coming close to the real story.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #2314
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Fataing terrible and sadly unsurprising.

I hope watching QAnon sprout and grow so publicly in such a short period of time ends up being an eyeopener for people indoctrinated into organized religion. You know all QAnon's outlandish and ridiculous claims/beliefs? Yeah, that's you, too. That's how religious people look to areligious people. You wonder how people can believe QAnon nonsense? lol, that's you, too.
Nice. Way to paint every religious person with a broad brush. Do you always stereotype people or things you don’t like? Hate to break it to you, but the majority of people on this planet are religious or spiritual and strongly believe in God in some fashion. I can assure you the majority of them are good people and don’t believe or support the actions of a few nut jobs.

Are there some pedo priests and/or nut job religious people? Of course there are, but are you trying to tell me that there are 4-5 billion pedophiles and nut jobs out there because you are “unsurprised” about one particular case? Cause that’s the amount of religious people that are on this planet. I’m sure I can find just as many non religious sexual predators or wackos....oh wait you don’t even have to look hard, just read this thread and all the celebrities who fit the bill. I can guarantee that the majority of these Hollywood directors, actors/actresses, and people in the film industry are not religious.

So according to sliver and undercover brother, I can safely assume that anyone living in Hollywood or working in the film or music industry are sexual predators, womanizers, woman beaters, cheaters, rich entitled #######s or sexist pigs. I should be unsurprised when a rap artist beats his wife or a director forces a young actress to give him a BJ. Hmm and all this time I thought Steven Spielberg was a good guy...he probably molested the entire Jurassic Park cast.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #2315
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The entertainment industry is ferociously competitive. To reach a level of fame where you or I have heard of them, an actor, director, or musician has to be not only talented, but driven by extraordinary ambition. How is it a surprise that people who climb over thousands to reach the top of that greased pole are often ruthless, narcissistic, insincere, and status-obsessed?

The baffling thing is why so many look to an industry designed to reward the worst traits in people for role models and moral exemplars.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #2316
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Nice. Way to paint every religious person with a broad brush. Do you always stereotype people or things you don’t like? Hate to break it to you, but the majority of people on this planet are religious or spiritual and strongly believe in God in some fashion. I can assure you the majority of them are good people and don’t believe or support the actions of a few nut jobs.
lol, I barely know how to begin with you. Your whole post was just nonsense and misunderstanding. And why are you so angry? I'm the one who should be mad at you...your book and your beliefs claim I'm going to burn in hell for eternity because I don't believe what you believe. That's such a horrible and violent claim you have against me and my family - and with no evidence. Honestly, I think you're a lunatic if you believe that.

I did paint every religious person with a broad brush, though, but it's completely fair. I mean, religious people are proud to have faith. They have faith that their beliefs are true despite a complete lack of evidence. They are proud of their shunning of facts and logic in favour of - quite frankly - a bunch of obvious malarkey and contradiction.

As for are they good people? Yes, of course religious people are every bit as good as areligious people. They have just been subjected to a barrage of manipulation and indoctrination from birth. It seems as though religion carves out pathways or something in the brain to hardwire beliefs that are utterly preposterous when presented to educated adults. With few exceptions, you need to steep somebody in religion from a young age to get it to take.

Have you ever tried the classic replace the word God with Odin or Zeus in the bible and then read it? You'll potentially get a bit of a taste of what we hear when you talk about god.

Quote:
Are there some pedo priests and/or nut job religious people? Of course there are, but are you trying to tell me that there are 4-5 billion pedophiles and nut jobs out there because you are “unsurprised” about one particular case? Cause that’s the amount of religious people that are on this planet. I’m sure I can find just as many non religious sexual predators or wackos....oh wait you don’t even have to look hard, just read this thread and all the celebrities who fit the bill. I can guarantee that the majority of these Hollywood directors, actors/actresses, and people in the film industry are not religious.
Is it possible pedophiles are attracted to the church because they know they will have authority over children, unearned/undeserved trust, and a never ending supply of victims? Is it also possible they know they'll be protected by the institution of the church?

Take religion out of pedophilia for a second, though. I don't think people are pedophiles because they're religious...if you do, let me know and we can discuss. It appears as though the institutional side of Hollywood was protecting pedophiles and abusers from consequence and accountability for way too long. That is under the microscope right now. Well the church has been protecting pedophiles from consequence and accountability for way too long, too. Both are a problem and both should be examined, victims compensated to the extent possible, perpetrators punished and the institution changed to prevent future occurrences. Any thoughtful person will look at both institutions with the exact same critical eye. I assume you agree with that, so I'm not sure why you posed your point as though we were giving one a pass and not the other.

Quote:
So according to sliver and undercover brother, I can safely assume that anyone living in Hollywood or working in the film or music industry are sexual predators, womanizers, woman beaters, cheaters, rich entitled #######s or sexist pigs. I should be unsurprised when a rap artist beats his wife or a director forces a young actress to give him a BJ. Hmm and all this time I thought Steven Spielberg was a good guy...he probably molested the entire Jurassic Park cast.
Sorry, this one is so off the wall and without any basis that I'm not going to bother with it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:13 AM   #2317
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cum hard and fast, solid effort.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #2318
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The entertainment industry is ferociously competitive. To reach a level of fame where you or I have heard of them, an actor, director, or musician has to be not only talented, but driven by extraordinary ambition. How is it a surprise that people who climb over thousands to reach the top of that greased pole are often ruthless, narcissistic, insincere, and status-obsessed?

The baffling thing is why so many look to an industry designed to reward the worst traits in people for role models and moral exemplars.

Because they're cool. Like why do people care about the Royal Family or Athletes but not Surgeons?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #2319
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The Catholic church needs to die, it has become a haven for child rapists and they actively protect them. It should be designated as a criminal organization at this point
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #2320
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Because they're cool. Like why do people care about the Royal Family or Athletes but not Surgeons?
Speaking of organizations that need to die, how about The Royals.

What a load of claptrap, just bull#### all around.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote