Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #921
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TNG Enterprise looked like the executive club lounge at Phoenix International Airport circa 1985. I read somewhere that the ambient hum of the ship was meant to be soothing to viewers. Composer Ron Jones was fired after a few seasons because the score was "too noticeable."

I recently rewatched TNG and I like it a lot. But I always figured its core audience was people who owned multiple cats and snuggled under an afghan with a mug of tea every episode.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #922
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The TNG Enterprise looked like the executive club lounge at Phoenix International Airport circa 1985. I read somewhere that the ambient hum of the ship was meant to be soothing to viewers. Composer Ron Jones was fired after a few seasons because the score was "too noticeable."

I recently rewatched TNG and I like it a lot. But I always figured its core audience was people who owned multiple cats and snuggled under an afghan with a mug of tea every episode.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #923
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Earl Grey. Hot.

And I'll have you know Spot is my only cat and she's a lovely cat.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #924
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know, one night years ago on a long layover in Texas because a planes bathroom broke, a friend of mine and I had a couple of hours in the bar and we had this debate around the United Federation of Planets.

He had the idea that the Federation weren't a source of good in the galaxy, and that they probably caused more problems then they solved.

To me they came across as preachy and arrogant in everything that they did and didn't respect other cultures, they wanted other cultures to toe their line.

"Oh you use currency" Picard said multiple times "We gave that up centuries ago" as he looked down his nose at them.

"Yes, humanity got past violence and war centuries ago" a smug Riker says as he sniffs at actual alcohol, and our alcohol is better then yours and doesn't get you drunk", "Now lock phasers on target and fire"

"Yes we have a prime directive that that doesn't allow us to interfere" bragged Troi as Picard and Data cause a local government to fall, or destroy a piece of technology because its a possible threat to the Federation "Learn to live without it, we did" sneers Janeway"

"Look at Earth and Vulcan pristine environmental planets, not like this polluted poop hole world that mines crystals for our use. Now give us our resources and see ya later" scowls Kirk "Labor dispute between the minors and royalty? Not our problem, Prime Directive baby"

I'm pretty sure that deep down the Klingons and Romulans outright despised the federation for their constant meddling. "Oh great Captain Blarg of the Klingon High Command" groaned "The Federation wants to 'mediate'"

"This is our planet you should leave" "But we're explorers with a massive ship with a bunch of high tech weapons, we demand to be welcomed until we find something that bugs us and imposes our will on you"

At least the Terran Empire in the mirror universe was honest, some times it just seemed like the Federation were velvet gloved conquerors

As Picard surveyed the civilization that he "Improved" to human standards and smiled cockily "Beam me up number one"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-16-2018 at 03:55 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #925
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love the oxymoron jumbo shrimp breakdown of the United Federation of Planets.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #926
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This is mostly for CC but others feel free to answer.

How does Worf know so much about Klingon culture if he was raised by humans? Wikipedia tells me he was adopted when he was 5 by humans but not much about how he became so Klingon despite living on earth.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #927
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

His adoptive parents tried to make sure he was exposed to Klingon culture. I also didn’t think he knew a lot, compared to other Klingons.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #928
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

How does Worf know so much about Klingon culture if he was raised by humans? Wikipedia tells me he was adopted when he was 5 by humans but not much about how he became so Klingon despite living on earth.
It probably wasn't that hard to get it from books or holo books or whatever they had.

However I think that he got a lot of false information, because when he worked with the Klingon Empire he was always kind of arguing that his version of honor for example was different then their version of honor.

It would be equivalent to me being born as a human child, being adopted by a wolf family at a young age and learning their language and hearing their stories of human then going back to live among the humans.

I think Worf had this overly romantic, idealized concept of the "Truf" about the Klingon Empire, and I think that he found out that the Klingon concept of honor was a little more nebulous then he thought it was.

For example

Worf - "You slaughtered unarmed civillians and woman and children"
Captain Blarg - "Yes and it was glorious and honorable, now I'm off to topple the high council"
Worf- "None of this is honorable, I demand one on one combat with you, as our customs demand"
Captain Blarg - "First of all, what do you know about honor, you're stained with humanity. second of all, I think I'll just shoot you instead"

Old 08-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #929
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

I think his adoptive family were a couple of Russians so its more or less the same thing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #930
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God I hated that episode, if Worf was any kind of klingon he would have ritualistically ripped out their hearts and offered them to his captain for embarrassing him

Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #931
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to nominate Worf as the worst character in Star Trek. I'm talking regular cast here. Any worse than him? And don't you dare say Wesley!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #932
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd like to nominate Worf as the worst character in Star Trek. I'm talking regular cast here. Any worse than him? And don't you dare say Wesley!
The funniest part about this is that the rest of the cast clearly hated him. If you ever watch their interviews or documentaries it is very clear that Micheal Dorn was the butt of pretty much every joke.

He was the guy that you invited to get sprayed by the sprinklers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #933
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

update on the plagiarism lawsuit that was filed by a independent video game producer against CBS for Discovery ripping off the Tardigrades

http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/201...ades-case.html

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/0...giarism/67459/

God its got to be really tough to get your show run over for its writing problems and plot problems and it turns out that you might have ripped it off of a unknown video game.

I guess if you're going to plagiarizer maybe use something decent.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #934
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The funniest part about this is that the rest of the cast clearly hated him. If you ever watch their interviews or documentaries it is very clear that Micheal Dorn was the butt of pretty much every joke.

He was the guy that you invited to get sprayed by the sprinklers.

the Worf is just bad at his job compilation

Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #935
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Harry Kim? Neelix? Chakotay? Most of the Voyager characters. Mayweather? Even Troi is worse.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #936
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, OK I kind of mentally blocked all of Voyager...there were some stinkers on that.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #937
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Harry Kim? Neelix? Chakotay? Most of the Voyager characters. Mayweather? Even Troi is worse.

Remember when they merged Neelix and Tuvok together in and it created a quantum Singularity of suck so great that light couldn't escape its surface?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #938
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Remember when they merged Neelix and Tuvok together in and it created a quantum Singularity of suck so great that light couldn't escape its surface?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #939
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh god, stop reminding me!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #940
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

Tom Paris was also awful. 7 of 9 was really the only reason to ever tune into that show.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote