Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 01:25 PM   #2061
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You will not be trading for guys like Tkachuk, Eichel or Fox*

*unless there are "special circumstances"
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:28 PM   #2062
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a real shame Flames fans have had to put up with such mediocrity over the last 34 years. There are so many devoted fans on this forum and around the province that deserve better. I'm sure more than a few longtime fans have come to grips with the fact that they may never see this team win another cup. The one thing that concerns me is the erosion of the fanbase as generations of new fans in Alberta that are growing up Oilers fans. My wife tells me on jersey days they have more kids in Oilers jerseys than Flames jerseys and that's kind of sad. The organization badly needs a face of the franchise star that they can market and sell to younger generations. I simply don't think trying to plug the leaks to stay competitive for an 8th playoff spot is doing this organization any good in the long term.
Having iconic players wearing a team's logo definitely puts that team into the lore of the sport. Professional sports fandom is largely a popularity contest and imagery builds popularity. If someone watches the NHL, they are going to get exposed to lots of Oiler imagery because they had the most impactful player in history, and now they have the most hyped player in a generation. Edmonton is no good, everyone agrees with that. But there is no getting away from the fact that the Oilers are imbedded in the lore of the sport way more than the Flames are, and that will make for a larger fanbase.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:30 PM   #2063
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You will not be trading for guys like Tkachuk, Eichel or Fox*

*unless there are "special circumstances"
So these things just keep happening right?

Superstars being traded annually.

Wonder if Chicago is ready to trade Bedard.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:31 PM   #2064
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a real shame Flames fans have had to put up with such mediocrity over the last 34 years. There are so many devoted fans on this forum and around the province that deserve better. I'm sure more than a few longtime fans have come to grips with the fact that they may never see this team win another cup. The one thing that concerns me is the erosion of the fanbase as generations of new fans in Alberta that are growing up Oilers fans. My wife tells me on jersey days they have more kids in Oilers jerseys than Flames jerseys and that's kind of sad. The organization badly needs a face of the franchise star that they can market and sell to younger generations. I simply don't think trying to plug the leaks to stay competitive for an 8th playoff spot is doing this organization any good in the long term.
We're the CFL to Edmonton's NFL
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:32 PM   #2065
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I could see a player like Marner or B. Tkachuk being available in the summer. Certainly Marner.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:35 PM   #2066
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
So these things just keep happening right?

Superstars being traded annually.

Wonder if Chicago is ready to trade Bedard.
Haha

I just thought it was hilarious how you went on this semi-rant about how "these types" will never be traded while at the same time listing three players that were traded. Then when it was pointed out all you had was "special circumstances"

Of course those types of players being traded is rare, do you think anyone here doesn't realize that?

It does happen from time to time though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:50 PM   #2067
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Next season is such a question mark. I'm not convinced that they will be a bottom 10 team and it's really hard to imagine them making the playoffs, which is pretty much worst case when it comes to the 1st next year.

Markstrom was atrocious to end the season (post-deadline) with a 1-7-0 record along with an .870 SV% and a 3.55 GAA. For comparison's sake, Wolf went 6-4-0 with a .902 SV% and 2.74 GAA.

The penalty kill also completely went off the rails when Hanifin and Tanev were traded. 71.4% after spending most of the season in the top 10.

Plenty for Conroy and Huska to do just to get the team into the mix for a wildcard berth.
The team only really started playing awful when the 2nd pairing was moved. Pretty tough to adjust to that mid-season. I think they’ll sign a decent #4-5 d-man in UFA, and that will stabilize the position. The team will also have camp to get its pairings integrated.

And as you point out, Markstrom was worse post-deadline than Wolf. So while it’s unlikely the Flames will get top-5 goaltending next season, it will likely be better than the goaltending they got after the deadline.

Still too much quality in this roster to be a true bottom-feeder. Just look at the lineups the Blackhawks, Sharks, and Ducks iced this season. No way the Flames will be that bad.

So my guess is not a playoff team, but not bottom-six either. Probably finish in the 7th-12th from bottom range.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-30-2024 at 01:57 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 02:12 PM   #2068
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha

I just thought it was hilarious how you went on this semi-rant about how "these types" will never be traded while at the same time listing three players that were traded. Then when it was pointed out all you had was "special circumstances"

Of course those types of players being traded is rare, do you think anyone here doesn't realize that?

It does happen from time to time though.
It was hardly a semi rant.

I was responding to the poster saying, lets use our assets we just acquired to go shopping for players.

The team needs to draft, and get some star power on the team. Not go shopping for middle 6 players with our picks and prospects. That is why we are here today.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:22 PM   #2069
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It was hardly a semi rant.

I was responding to the poster saying, lets use our assets we just acquired to go shopping for players.

The team needs to draft, and get some star power on the team. Not go shopping for middle 6 players with our picks and prospects. That is why we are here today.
I completely agree, I want the team to accumulate as many draft picks as they can for the next three drafts, and then never go to a draft with less than 7 picks again after that.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:39 PM   #2070
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. We could get lucky, and if that doesn't work, well...Father time is undefeated.

Worst case I'm younger and healthier than Murray Edwards and he's only got one child, who will likely see the payday and cash out like Melnyck's kids did.

The era of lowest cost entertainment will pass at some point and the Flames will be free.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:40 PM   #2071
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They get the better of the Florida/Calgary pick, if Calgary finishes outside of the top 10, don't they? But realistically, that's almost certainly going to be the Calgary pick.
I don't think it's a given Florida will be at the same level next year. Of their current roster, they have 11 UFA's including notables such as Stolarz, Montour, and Reinhart. 3 RFA's including Lundell. $21MM to work with. There will be lots of change. I'm sure they will be just fine, but nothing is a guarantee.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:44 PM   #2072
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So true and it's only going to get worse if the oilers go deep or god forbid win the cup.

Oilers and flames are direct competitors over a limited market share and the flames are losing badly and in the down swing.

I don't know any kids that interested in the flames. I've met alot thay love the oilers.

Picking up some scrap players to battle for a wildcard spot isn't enough for existing fans or for the future growth of the club.

We need some superstar(s) and some deep runs.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:54 PM   #2073
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If we sell Markstrom and don't add, we're easily a bottom 10 team.

Looking at the rosters on paper I would put us 5th last above sharks, blackhawks, ducks and maybe jackets.

Ducks and jackets could pop off at anytime giving the young talent and cap flexibility though.

People saying sharangovich and kuzmenko are the makings of a top line... lmao...

All we need is a 1c, 2 top 4D, some elite talent and wolf to be a good statter in his first season..

I really hope management doesn't share these beliefs.

Conroy wants to be competitive but Brad left our nuts in a vicegrip with the Montreal trade.

Last edited by traptor; 04-30-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:01 PM   #2074
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Win four lotteries including McDavid and that happens...when him and Drai are gone and or are not the big stars of the league (soon) things will change. Hopefully the Flames are on an upswing at that point.

Our biggest star bailed and left us in this spot, still boggles my mind Flames fans actually cheer for him to do well.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:07 PM   #2075
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Win four lotteries including McDavid and that happens...when him and Drai are gone and or are not the big stars of the league (soon) things will change. Hopefully the Flames are on an upswing at that point.

Our biggest star bailed and left us in this spot, still boggles my mind Flames fans actually cheer for him to do well.
TBH the only acceptable reason to cheer for Florida is that I believe that team has the best shot of beating the Oilers if they somehow make it to the finals.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:12 PM   #2076
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
TBH the only acceptable reason to cheer for Florida is that I believe that team has the best shot of beating the Oilers if they somehow make it to the finals.
Not really a concern, there are a lot of teams for that
Old 04-30-2024, 03:13 PM   #2077
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
So true and it's only going to get worse if the oilers go deep or god forbid win the cup.

Oilers and flames are direct competitors over a limited market share and the flames are losing badly and in the down swing.

I don't know any kids that interested in the flames. I've met alot thay love the oilers.

Picking up some scrap players to battle for a wildcard spot isn't enough for existing fans or for the future growth of the club.

We need some superstar(s) and some deep runs.
Not to worry when 29 and 97 leave and they enter another decade of darkness, they will lose most of their current young supporters. As they will quickly learn that E=NG
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:23 PM   #2078
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFG#1 View Post
Not to worry when 29 and 97 leave and they enter another decade of darkness, they will lose most of their current young supporters. As they will quickly learn that E=NG
Can't happen soon enough...

Honestly though hockey is the funnest in Alberta when both teams are good.

It's a shame we were robbed of that.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:44 PM   #2079
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
Can't happen soon enough...

Honestly though hockey is the funnest in Alberta when both teams are good.

It's a shame we were robbed of that.
I prefer the Flames dominating
Old 04-30-2024, 03:46 PM   #2080
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

These thoughts reflect my feelings as well. I'm a little concerned as some of us get older these Flames will still be trying to figure it out. The Flames need to find a way to grab a franchise player otherwise I doubt things will change. Winning a few games at the end of the season for moral victories gets a little frustrating. Huberdeau is not a guy you build a franchise around and he certainly isn't the guy who puts fans in the seats.

I guess some of us just have to be really happy that we did have some really good Flames teams in the past. I used to enjoy watching guys like Sergei Makarov, Kent Nilson, Gary Roberts, Al McGinnis, Gary Sutter. Joe Nieuwendyk. The Flames were one of the power houses in the NHL for a long time. If they want to get back to winning they need to find a way to get a franchise player, maybe stop winning meaningless games at the end of the season when a season is over. Hopefully we win the draft lottery.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good