Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #781
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
lol

That awkward silence as nobody clapped for Chu as he walked up to the podium
You love to not hear it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #782
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If he can't be removed, I hope they ignore everything he basically says in Council until he decides to do the right thing and step down.

And if he doesn't, I also hope Gondek assigns him a special in-Chambers advisor so that he doesn't waste Council's time with time wasting, obstructing, not knowing the issues, unaware of Council procedures, and being generally disorganized.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #783
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
People have preconceived notions about what is a waste of money, where the budget can be cut etc. based on their personal uses of city services. For example if they drive everywhere they might see transit as a target for cuts. If they are home bodies or are outdoors people maybe they see arts funding as wasteful (theatre, symphony), if they throw everything in the garbage maybe they see recycling fees as excessive. I'll bet if you ask 10 people you would get 10 different answers as to what could be cut and where spending is wasteful. I like to consider myself pretty reasonable but admit I'm probably the same, my ideas would not be the same as others either.
I'd cut all funding to Lake Bonavista, for starters.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #784
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd cut all funding to Lake Bonavista, for starters.
Lake Bonavista, cluttered with water. Let's fill that sucker and put in condo towers.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #785
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
She actually didn't and he was sworn in by the chief justice or some other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
lol

That awkward silence as nobody clapped for Chu as he walked up to the podium
Message sent.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #786
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
People have preconceived notions about what is a waste of money, where the budget can be cut etc. based on their personal uses of city services. For example if they drive everywhere they might see transit as a target for cuts. If they are home bodies or are outdoors people maybe they see arts funding as wasteful (theatre, symphony), if they throw everything in the garbage maybe they see recycling fees as excessive. I'll bet if you ask 10 people you would get 10 different answers as to what could be cut and where spending is wasteful. I like to consider myself pretty reasonable but admit I'm probably the same, my ideas would not be the same as others either.
Well recycling should be cut because sorting plastic into piles to be disposed of in the landfill is stupid and homeless people and charities take care of the useful aluminum recycling. Maybe some cardboard program would make sense but most recycling is pointless. Organica and the green bin is good though.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #787
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Well recycling should be cut because sorting plastic into piles to be disposed of in the landfill is stupid and homeless people and charities take care of the useful aluminum recycling. Maybe some cardboard program would make sense but most recycling is pointless. Organica and the green bin is good though.
My blue bin is basically my overflow garbage bin for clean dry items. The official rules for what is and isn't allowed is ridiculously long, so I don't even bother. I know most of it goes to the landfill anyway, so as long as what I throw in doesn't make a mess of the actual recyclables I don't see the harm
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #788
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
My blue bin is basically my overflow garbage bin for clean dry items. The official rules for what is and isn't allowed is ridiculously long, so I don't even bother. I know most of it goes to the landfill anyway, so as long as what I throw in doesn't make a mess of the actual recyclables I don't see the harm
You are costing the rest of us money by doing that. We pay people to sort it, and remove un-recyclable items. By using it as a trash, you are making more work for them. That's bad, and you should feel bad for doing it.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #789
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are costing the rest of us money by doing that. We pay people to sort it, and remove un-recyclable items. By using it as a trash, you are making more work for them. That's bad, and you should feel bad for doing it.
No the city should feel bad for recycling anything but aluminum and paper/cardboard.

The recycling movement is terrible. It discourages the first 2Rs by giving people a dopamine hit by doing the right thing putting garbage plastics that their is no market for at the volumes we have. Just landfill it, it’s cost effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #790
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is the problem with society in a nutshell.

"I don't want to follow the clear rules that are in place for everyone, so I do what I please even though it harms others. I don't see the problem with that."
Old 10-26-2021, 09:33 AM   #791
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Jesus Christ, is this seriously that hard??

https://www.calgary.ca/uep/wrs/recyc...-recycled.html

YES: paper, cardboard, plastic, bags
NO: electronics, hazardous materials, clothing, foam, batteries

This is like elementary grade knowledge...
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #792
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
No the city should feel bad for recycling anything but aluminum and paper/cardboard.

The recycling movement is terrible. It discourages the first 2Rs by giving people a dopamine hit by doing the right thing putting garbage plastics that their is no market for at the volumes we have. Just landfill it, it’s cost effective.
A dopamine hit from putting a piece of plastic in the blue bin?

You know what, I've changed my mind, we can't legalize hard drugs. People are out here addicted to basic recycling.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #793
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
This is the problem with society in a nutshell.

"I don't want to follow the clear rules that are in place for everyone, so I do what I please even though it harms others. I don't see the problem with that."
Embarrassing actually. How can people share stories like this and not feel like complete tools?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #794
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As long as the city does things the way it does, we should follow the rules for the most cost effective way of using the system they have setup. Feel free to call it dumb, but that's what we've got, and by abusing it, you are costing us even more. You also risk jamming up the machinery if you, say, through an old extension cord away. Sure, it's clean. But it's also a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #795
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

You know what, I've changed my mind, we can't legalize hard drugs. People are out here addicted to basic recycling.
Yes, the recycling of plastics is heavily funded by the plastics industry to green wash consumption of plastics. We had a great thing going by exporting our pollution to China where children sorted our garbage and most of it was burned producing toxic chemicals for the people living near these facilities to breathe in.

And we got to say our plastic use was fine because we recycle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #796
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As long as the city does things the way it does, we should follow the rules for the most cost effective way of using the system they have setup. Feel free to call it dumb, but that's what we've got, and by abusing it, you are costing us even more. You also risk jamming up the machinery if you, say, through an old extension cord away. Sure, it's clean. But it's also a disaster waiting to happen.
This is probably true, I just throw my plastics in the garbage to save the city more money and you should too.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #797
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is probably true, I just throw my plastics in the garbage to save the city more money and you should too.
What's the current situation? The latest news I found was the clamshells they threw in the dump. I honestly have no idea what happens with our plastic these days. Does the city disclose this stuff?
Old 10-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #798
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah yes, the I'm too cheap to do a dump run so I'll contaminate an entire garbage truck of recycling. Bravo.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #799
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

So I guess we can just chalk it up to ignorance then. Because household recycling doesn’t achieve what people think (or want to think) it achieves. As GGG notes, the vast majority of the stuff we put in blue bins winds up in the same landfills as garbage.

The CBC doesn’t use the term ‘dopamine hit’, and instead calls recycling a ‘salve to the conscience.’

Quote:
Given that Canadians produce close to a tonne of waste per capita every year, it's a salve to the conscience to think that we can put some of our waste into a blue bin, and it will be transformed into something useful instead of being dumped in a landfill.

The reality is not so reassuring. In Canada, for example, only nine per cent of plastic waste is recycled. Mountains of material collected in blue bins is piling up in landfills, being incinerated, or adding to the swirling islands of plastic flotsam that are choking oceans and killing wildlife. According to some experts, recycling is in crisis.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sunday/the-...cled-1.5099103
Plastic ‘recycling’ was already questionable when it was being shipped to China to dispose of. Now that they’re no longer accepting it, plastic recycling is pretty much a fraud.

Quote:
As municipalities are forced to deal with their own trash instead of exporting it, they are discovering a dismaying fact: much of this plastic is completely unrecyclable.

The issue is with a popular class of plastics that people have traditionally been told to put into their recycling bins – a hodgepodge of items such as clamshell-style food packaging, black plastic trays, take-out containers and cold drink cups, which the industry dubs “mixed plastic”. It has become clear that there are virtually no domestic manufacturers that want to buy this waste in order to turn it into something else.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ling-landfills
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #800
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Jesus Christ, is this seriously that hard??

https://www.calgary.ca/uep/wrs/recyc...-recycled.html

YES: paper, cardboard, plastic, bags
NO: electronics, hazardous materials, clothing, foam, batteries

This is like elementary grade knowledge...
Everyone knows that batteries are to be reserved for throwing at normal vagrants and vagrants dressed as Santa Claus!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote