Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2023, 11:04 AM   #41
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Pens got the wrong Pitlick.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:17 AM   #42
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karlsson sucks. They need to score 5 goals a game to barely make the playoffs.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:23 AM   #43
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for Cap purposes, Petry and Granlund cost more than Karlsson for the next two years, so the Pens basically saved cap space for those two years and are banking on the cap going up for the last years of the Karlsson contract.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #44
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this was 2015, they would be considered the team to beat. It is 2023, so... good move still I think. This is a boom or bust team now with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson, and they still have solid pieces like Guentzel. They suddenly went from being an aging team that we all saw on the slow decline, to an aging team that may have improved enough to halt a decline. I am curious what else they have up their sleeve to push them back up the rankings in the east. They certainly did improve today.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:34 AM   #45
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

This trade does show the absolute rock bottom value of a player in their thirties being signed to a long term contract. San Jose gives up Karlsson and a third and gets a 1st a three cap dumps. 100 point Norris Trophy dman are not worth much when they are old and on longterm contracts.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:35 AM   #46
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think Pittsburgh is good enough to make real noise in the east but the trade itself is pretty good. Basically lost a 1st. As long as that doesn't end up being top 10 the trade should be well worth it regardless of what happens.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #47
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I don't think Pittsburgh is good enough to make real noise in the east but the trade itself is pretty good. Basically lost a 1st. As long as that doesn't end up being top 10 the trade should be well worth it regardless of what happens.
From Capfriendly:

2024 1st round pick (PIT) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: Top 10 protected
Old 08-06-2023, 12:00 PM   #48
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks the like Sharks do well here to me. Some decent utility players and a 1st to get out from under Karlsson's deal is pretty substantial.

MTL did good too I think. Don't know a lot about Pitlick, but to lose a prospect and Hoffman and return a good middle D-man and a 2nd rounder is not bad at all.

Last edited by Coach; 08-06-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:07 PM   #49
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Pens just picked up the reigning Norris trophy winner who put up more points than any defenceman has for over 30 years, without giving up a core piece or their top prospect, and shed 3 mil in cap while doing it. Gotta think this will rejuvenate Crosby, Malkin, and Letang as well.

If you’re going to go for it with an aging core, this is the way to do it. Hats off to Dubas.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 12:10 PM   #50
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Pens just picked up the reigning Norris trophy winner who put up more points than any defenceman has for over 30 years, without giving up a core piece or their top prospect, and shed 3 mil in cap while doing it. Gotta think this will rejuvenate Crosby, Malkin, and Letang as well.

If you’re going to go for it with an aging core, this is the way to do it. Hats off to Dubas.
Yup I think this is a big win for Pittsburgh, a decent move for s.j and head scratching move for the habs
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #51
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Yup I think this is a big win for Pittsburgh, a decent move for s.j and head scratching move for the habs
Why is it head scratching for the Habs?

They got Petry at 25% retained, who they’ll likely retain on and then flip for an asset, and a 2nd round pick.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 12:17 PM   #52
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

lol did you watch him play last year? he wasn't really a defenceman.....

the best thing was that the Sharks ruined their franchise be re-signing him. which is great for us!
Old 08-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #53
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
lol did you watch him play last year? he wasn't really a defenceman.....

the best thing was that the Sharks ruined their franchise be re-signing him. which is great for us!
Well I don't know about the rest of the board but I think I would be more than ok with having a D man that might get caught on the odd offensive pinch but puts up 101 points.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #54
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Well I don't know about the rest of the board but I think I would be more than ok with having a D man that might get caught on the odd offensive pinch but puts up 101 points.
Maybe if you got him for free without giving up any assets and his cap hit is under $5mil.

I guess i only watched him 6-7 times last year against the Flames and Oilers but he was the worst player on the ice.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #55
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe if you got him for free without giving up any assets and his cap hit is under $5mil.

I guess i only watched him 6-7 times last year against the Flames and Oilers but he was the worst player on the ice.
His offensive game far outweighs his defensive game. Also, while he's no defensive stalwart, he's not as terrible as people make him out to be. Too many fans want players to be perfectly well rounded and make mountains out of molehills when a player has a flaw in his game.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #56
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
His offensive game far outweighs his defensive game. Also, while he's no defensive stalwart, he's not as terrible as people make him out to be. Too many fans want players to be perfectly well rounded and make mountains out of molehills when a player has a flaw in his game.
Does it? His team won a league low 22 games last year! 22 games! lol

You watched the 4 games vs the Flames last year right? He was the worst player on the ice by a mile.

Look at his numbers his previous 4 seasons on the Sharks. Not very impressive.

At least he still has that sexy pirate/trudeau look going for him still... haha
Old 08-06-2023, 12:45 PM   #57
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

SJ gets away from the Karlson contract and even got some value out of it, that's a huge win already. I don't mind it for Pittsburgh either, might as well be all in until Sid and Geno retire.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #58
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does it? His team won a league low 22 games last year! 22 games! lol

You watched the 4 games vs the Flames last year right? He was the worst player on the ice by a mile.

Look at his numbers his previous 4 seasons on the Sharks. Not very impressive.

At least he still has that sexy pirate/trudeau look going for him still... haha
He was on a terrible team. He joined them when things were about to go downhill and they didn't do much to keep the team competitive. I wouldn't look much into how the team did and put it on his shoulders. The situation in SJ wasn't a perfect fit whereas Pittsburgh should be built to effectively use his talents and not worry about him not being the best defensive player.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:51 PM   #59
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't stop but laugh at the Oilers fans where they've saying they can get Karlsson with a third team involves in retaining salary. Now that Karlsson is traded to the Pens all it took was a first (conditioned) and a second with a third team involved AND the Pens actually saved cap space.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:52 PM   #60
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We’ll Pitts actually saved cap hit for the next few seasons with the trade by dumping players they didn’t want
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote