Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #1921
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
With the schedule most likely being highly compressed next season, we are going to need to keep Rittich around. There are going to be a lot of back to backs.
Markstrom+Domingue > Talbot+Rittich

No need to overthink this. Rittich makes too much and the goaltending is improved whether he's here or not. It will be a bit of a failure to let mangi go to arbitration because Tre thinks he needs Rittich. Lock down good young players whenever you can. Last thing the team needs is to sour the relationship with Mangiapane in arbitration to save a million bucks. He already put mangi in his place last summer, I don't think arbitration will help anything going forward.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #1922
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
With the schedule most likely being highly compressed next season, we are going to need to keep Rittich around. There are going to be a lot of back to backs.
Some other posters floated the idea of Aaron Dell. He's a guy who could play 20 games for you as a back up and post respectable numbers. If you could get him to sign for $1 million, you could free up $1.5 million for by dumping Rittich.

As a Calgary boy, Dell might even make sense long term as Markstrom's backup.

He just needs to apologize to Bennett.

Before anyone asks why a team wouldn't just sign Dell and give up assets for Rittich, well because Dell is a back up, while Rittich still has no. 1 potential. A team might still see Rittich as having that potential, he did go to the all star game last year. Actually, would have made a lot of sense for the Oilers to trade for Rittich.

Last edited by 868904; 10-11-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #1923
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post

No need to overthink this. Rittich makes too much and the goaltending is improved whether he's here or not. It will be a bit of a failure to let mangi go to arbitration because Tre thinks he needs Rittich. Lock down good young players whenever you can. Last thing the team needs is to sour the relationship with Mangiapane in arbitration to save a million bucks. He already put mangi in his place last summer, I don't think arbitration will help anything going forward.
I also think Rittich has to be disappointed with this move. He probably won't play as well because of it. If the Flames don't think Domingue can play 25 games there has to be another back up option to add to the mix.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #1924
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The problem is depth. If you trade Rittich and go with Domingue as the backup, the needle doesn't really move with respect to expected games won.

But what if Markstrom gets injured at some point? Then you're running with Domingue / Zagidulin for a while. Pretty big gamble.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #1925
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yikes. That seems like a pretty awful plan.
Not if the plan is to tank for a high pick.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #1926
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bowman's so all over the place I could see him trading for MAF or something

Sabres another team that need a goalie too. Hutton said he's been having trouble with his vision

Last edited by btimbit; 10-11-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #1927
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If the schedule really is much more condensed next season as expected, we need to keep Rittich around.

Domingue is one of the worst goalies in the NHL when you look over his last 3 years.

SV%: .897 (ranks 70th out of 72) (Rittich ranks 43rd)
GAA: 3.26 (ranks 68th out of 72) (Rittich ranks 41st)
GSAA/60: -0.42 (ranks 69th out of 72) (Rittich ranks 43rd)
HDSV%: .782 (ranks 70th out of 72) (Rittich ranks 17th)

Under no circumstance can the Flames allow Domingue to waste away games next year.

Sure, if the Flames can trade Rittich and find an as good/better, cheaper goalie option to replace him then great, but Domingue is in no way a capable backup.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #1928
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

David Rittich is the perfect guy to play 30 games and give you a chance to win every night. I don’t know why we would be looking at getting rid of him. We have, in my opinion, an elite goaltending tandem.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #1929
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Rittich's cap hit has no consequence on whether Mangiapane goes to arbitration or not. There is still $5.71m in cap space. Mangiapane is going to probably come in around $2.5m on a 2 year deal, or between $3.5m to $4m on a long term deal.

This upcoming you need two goalies. Domingue is a solid AHL/injury replacement but he isn't a goalie who should be getting regular starts on the NHL.

Trading Rittich and signing Dell is an ok plan, but you are most likely taking a contract in return for Rittich, or you are giving him away like Columbus did to Ryan Murray.

A trade is most likely coming, Ryan will probably be the odd man out, unless it's a bigger move.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #1930
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

$$ is the only reason to move on from Rittich
Old 10-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #1931
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of questions about why this team or that team hasn't signed this or that player, but I think we need to keep in mind that a lot more teams won't spend to the cap this year.

We always assume that pretty much every team (other than ARI and OTT and one or two others) will spend to the cap. However, I doubt that is the case this year. I would imagine that there are several teams that will try and tighten the budget. Teams that we don't usually think about.

One that comes to mind is COL. Everyone keeps waiting for them to spend their room, but they keep a close eye on costs and I bet they are trying to limit things this year. WPG too.

Other teams that might be doing so: FLA, DET, BUF, CBJ, NJD, COL, MIN, WPG, ANA, LAK
Old 10-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #1932
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames would have to do some juggling to make it work...but I wonder if with all the swedes and only Kyllington in his way , if Gus circles back with the flames. 1.5M may be too low for him...but maybe worth it on a 1 year.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #1933
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
David Rittich is the perfect guy to play 30 games and give you a chance to win every night. I don’t know why we would be looking at getting rid of him. We have, in my opinion, an elite goaltending tandem.
And he has one year left on his contract. Pretty good situation.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #1934
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I love Rittich, but the cap space is definitely attractive.

But not sure it's worth it, you either roll with a crappy backup (Domingue) that can lose you games, or you re-invest like a million of those savings in a slightly better option like Dell which still isn't great, but you get an extra 1.75m to play with which could be big.

Not sure which way I lean, but it's an interesting thought
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #1935
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like keeping Rittich. When we last had a bona fide starter (Kipper), we never had a backup, and this led to playing Kipper 70+ games every year. It's a recipe for burning out your goaltender come playoff time.

Keeping a 1B guy like Rittich around means you can play Markstrom for 55-60 games while still having a very good chance to win for the other 25 games.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #1936
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Smith wasn’t a total A hole he’s be perfect back up for 1.5.

If we didn’t have Rittich I’d also welcome Schneider at around 1.5.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #1937
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any updates on confirmed teams in or out on Hall? It was rumored last week that he planned on making his decision Sunday morning-ish. It seems to have been eerily quiet on this front. Likely a commitment by his agent and pitching teams as most good teams pitching would have to make space of existing players that they would otherwise keep.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #1938
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
$$ is the only reason to move on from Rittich
I agree with this AND we are talking about a player who has “lost” the starters net 2years in a row at the most important time of year. Followed up now with an off-season acquisition which firmly states the team doesn’t seem him evolving into our long term #1 goalie, as that job just got given to Markstrom.

I firmly believe in goalie tandems even with Markstrom, but how excited is Rittich to continue here now? I’m sure he’ll be the team mate he’s always been, but deep down I’m guessing he’d like to play somewhere where the starters net can still be had. If he’s not completely satisfied with the situation now, just another reason the cap space might look appealing vs keeping him.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #1939
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest question though, how happy is Rittich staying in CGY now that he knows his path to a full time starter gig has been blocked? Seriously.

He did not take the ride or die with Talbot too well is Cassie said they really didn't like what he was doing in the bubble.
Then hung him out hard in the final game as well.

I just cannot believe that Rittich is a happy camper about being a Flame right now. And he's a bit of an emotions on his sleeve guy in the first place.

Edit: Oh and then ypu have tree telling people they've have him going to a shrink to deal with his mental toughness on top of that.

Nothing tells me Ritter is long for CGY.

Last edited by dammage79; 10-11-2020 at 12:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #1940
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think Rittich will be traded to Chicago.

They like their Czechs over there and they really need a goalie.

I think Calgary will probably then sign Aaron Dell as backup.

Closed Thread