Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #61
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The money from Cannabis is taxes. Its job creation is going to be pretty underwhelming. You've got owners, you've got some administrative staff, you've got low paid positions for people to harvest and trim, you've got a bunch of retail positions in dispensaries. This isn't exactly something you count on to make a contribution to employment.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #62
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Cannabis is definitely an industry Canada should be getting on board with. The federal government is acting way too slowly. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Calgary's arid environment lends itself to being the headquarters of the industry though.
One story I had read said that Canada can be a powerhouse, but it won't be for growing as our climate isn't optimum for it. As other countries legalize the industry, financially it won't make sense. But the science and knowledge we gain by being early movers could make Canada a huge beneficiary.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The money from Cannabis is taxes. Its job creation is going to be pretty underwhelming. You've got owners, you've got some administrative staff, you've got low paid positions for people to harvest and trim, you've got a bunch of retail positions in dispensaries. This isn't exactly something you count on to make a contribution to employment.
One advantage Canada has is that we will actually be able to research the medical uses, which most countries can't becuase of the legal status. Theoretically, we could patent a whole bunch of drugs and employ lots of eggheads in the process. I think it is the kind of thing an advanced economy should be investing in.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #64
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cannabis is definitely an industry Canada should be getting on board with. The federal government is acting way too slowly. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Calgary's arid environment lends itself to being the headquarters of the industry though.
ARen't most of them grown in green houses? we have a bit of land to setup on i think.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #65
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
One advantage Canada has is that we will actually be able to research the medical uses, which most countries can't becuase of the legal status. Theoretically, we could patent a whole bunch of drugs and employ lots of eggheads in the process. I think it is the kind of thing an advanced economy should be investing in.
Not only great hair but Trudeau's old pot smoking days sure helped this along.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #66
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I wouldn't mind one of those 50,000sqft lots with a 45,000sqft house in Richmond for $1million Alex!
not sure where you'll find that for $1million

this little gem is available ... only $7million....

https://www.remax.ca/bc/vancouver-re...197033183-lst/
Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #67
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canadian licensed producers already have export contracts to supply countries like Germany and Australia. It’s a (relatively)small industry right now, but it will only get bigger and bigger as other countries move towards legalization which is why I think it makes sense to invest in it. Most producers grow indoors but our cooler climate is still considered favourable for growing because it limits pest and mold issues. Many LPs are setting up shop here for that reason combined with our more business friendly tax rates.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #68
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Aurora cannabis has 2 facilities in Alberta, 1 currently employs well over 100 people. Their harvesters start at $20+/hour, the second facility which will likely pay the same is a more automated facility but is still expected to employ 300 people once it’s fully completed. That doesn’t include the corporate office staff either.

1 company 400-500 employees in our province alone with no retail. Plus the construction jobs created to build these facilities.

While I agree with you that the wages may not be that high, they’re not minimum wage either and are probably more of a reflection of our overall economy. And as you know, if wages are the issue there’s always a way to look at addressing that, but I don’t think we need to go there for this discussion
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #69
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm dubious about the medicinal uses of pot. Advocates make it sound like some kind of wonder-plant, with vast untapped medicinal uses. The reason they've gotten away with it is because there haven't been a lot of serious studies to debunk their claims.

My bet is once we see more serious, long-term clinical trials of pot, we'll realize it isn't much more than a mildly effective pain killer with some substantial negative side effects.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #70
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post

That was based on the scenario of the Chinese pulling out of BC housing market.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #71
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
ARen't most of them grown in green houses? we have a bit of land to setup on i think.
I realize you understand gardening even less than politics and economics, but unless you have a few thousand per month you want to spend on heat and light, you're not going to be able to compete with the Mexicans.

Keeping a 8X6 greenhouse above 12C in the dead of winter costs major, major $$$.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #72
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calgary is in one of the most naturally beautiful places in the world. Few people worldwide get such a stunning backdrop as the Rockies, and when heading east the vastness of the plains as seen from the foothills is incredible. The climate is far from perfect, but in terms of livability has to be among the top; very few natural disasters, reprieve from the insane cold, summers mild enough to not cause multiple casualties.
If the multitude of cookie cutter designer hipster eateries/bars isn’t your thing, you can catch a number of sporting events. Or hit up Loose Moose, Vertigo, Theatre Calgary or one of the many other performing arts venues. Not to mention wonderful facilities like the Bella at MRU, (mildly outdated Jack Singer) or the NMC. You could ride a bike or jog along safe trails from one of the city to the other, we have the most park space of any NA City (I think?) and have two rivers running through our city. The wilderness is literally our neighbour, and it’s diverse as hell - badlands, plains, foothills, mountains. And, I can lay by the river and have no one around me at all, then go for a 10 minute walk and party hard.
If this is a city past it’s prime, people are really missing out.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #73
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I realize you understand gardening even less than politics and economics, but unless you have a few thousand per month you want to spend on heat and light, you're not going to be able to compete with the Mexicans.

Keeping a 8X6 greenhouse above 12C in the dead of winter costs major, major $$$.
Oh sorry old wise one. I do admit i do not have Solomon's wisdom. So i guess ACB is operating their 2 major facilities in Alberta in someone's backyard and they would have zero production past mid October? ok.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #74
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm dubious about the medicinal uses of pot. Advocates make it sound like some kind of wonder-plant, with vast untapped medicinal uses. The reason they've gotten away with it is because there haven't been a lot of serious studies to debunk their claims.

My bet is once we see more serious, long-term clinical trials of pot, we'll realize it isn't much more than a mildly effective pain killer with some substantial negative side effects.
Medical Marijuana: Where is the evidence?

Marijuana is widely touted as an effective medicine for an array of conditions. But what does the evidence actually tell us?

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/med...-the-evidence/

Regrettably, there is a lack of high-quality data that shows marijuana for most medical purposes is both safe and effective. What little evidence exists is of poor quality and may not even be representative of the purposes for which medical marijuana is sought. There are significant gaps in information necessary to treat marijuana like other forms of medicine: Dosage standardization and overall quality control may not be in place. Overall effectiveness, contraindications, drug interactions, adverse events and long-terms risks when marijuana is used as medicine are not well understood. The best evidence suggests that marijuana may be a reasonable treatment option only when safer, more effective, and better tolerated treatment options have been tried first. If marijuana is to be treated as medicine, then it needs to meet the same standards of quality, effectiveness, and safety we would expect of any other prescription drug. That standard has not yet been met.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #75
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post

Ha, this article from 2010 is still up. This was fun.

Crack shack or mansion?

http://www.vancouversun.com/Gallery+...466/story.html

http://crackshackormansion.com/index.html
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #76
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Ha, this article from 2010 is still up. This was fun.

Crack shack or mansion?

http://www.vancouversun.com/Gallery+...466/story.html

http://crackshackormansion.com/index.html
The sad part is that many of those "mansions" have doubled in price since.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #77
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownesian View Post
That sounds like mostly government (deficit)-funded construction. That's pretty worrying to me in terms of long term sustainability given a future of contracting private sector revenues for the province and an inevitable re-balancing of provincial expenditures.
I'm no expert in financial stuff, but do you have a source that says these are deficit-based expenditures? Not saying you're wrong, but Edmonton is currently in a more bullish economic climate then Calgary, so I'd like to see your stats on this claim instead of anecdotal conclusions. The City of Edmonton, University of Alberta, etc. are well-run organizations.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #78
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

This is where upfront investments in alternative energy could pay off very well. Initial costs are high but lower long term costs for heat and electricity should offset tge initial investment. Large solar arrays, heat pumps/geothermal and maybe wind generation depending on location.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #79
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm no expert in financial stuff, but do you have a source that says these are deficit-based expenditures? Not saying you're wrong, but Edmonton is currently in a more bullish economic climate then Calgary, so I'd like to see your stats on this claim instead of anecdotal conclusions. The City of Edmonton, University of Alberta, etc. are well-run organizations.
Yeh, that's just government spending, ie Calgary's paying for it.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #80
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

In many ways Calgary is better than its ever been. It is just a far more interesting city now than in the past. There's more for everyone. But it is definitely in an ebb economically and a time of uncertainty about the future. It needs a collective community effort making good decisions to secure our economic future.