Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon24 Duncan Keith out 4-6 weeks after knee surgery

huge blow to Chicago

Mark Lazerus ✔ @MarkLazerus
Duncan Keith out 4-6 weeks after having surgery to repair a right meniscal tear, #Blackhawks announce.

Chris Kuc @ChrisKuc
#Blackhawks were already looking to trade for a defenseman. Duncan Keith news likely escalates those efforts.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell for Panarin, get're done.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this where we find out how overrated Seabrook is?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haaaaaaave you met my friend Dennis Wideman?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames need to jump on this ASAP. Both Wideman and Russell should be made available but the price would have to be huge. Time to bend the hawks over the barrel in all 50 states!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Realistically what could we get in return for either Wideman / Russell from the Hawks?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Realistically what could we get in return for either Wideman / Russell from the Hawks?
Bickell (cap dump) + prospect + pick
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I doubt the Hawks are willing to give up a solid prospect/picks for a short term injury.

There also a team that is so good at keeping goals out of their net that they can afford to give up a few in the next 4-6 weeks.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The Flames need to jump on this ASAP. Both Wideman and Russell should be made available but the price would have to be huge. Time to bend the hawks over the barrel in all 50 states!
Yeah for sure! If we throw in Hiller, Toews will be ours.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're just re-tuning his bionic legs. The human body is pretty much just a potato clock.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Yeah for sure! If we throw in Hiller, Toews will be ours.
Do you just jump on any post just to be a rooster? I didn't say Toews or any other player specifically. The hawks just lost their #1 defender and they were already looking for help, now they have to get help. The Flames have a pretty good defensive group and don't have to make a deal but the Flames could use some help up front. If the Flames were to take anything away from their defensive group, they'd want to be compensated heavily for it. By saying "If we throw in Hiller, Toews will be ours" your either ignorant to the value of players to teams or you're just trying to start an argument. Either way, grow up.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Giving DK 6 weeks off isn't the worst thing that could happen...yeah, he is our #1 D, but, unless the O goes completely in the tank, the 'Hawks shouldn't scuffle all that badly...the Playoffs will neither be gained nor lost in November...a fresher DK coming back can be a good thing.

The 'Hawks had Visnovsky in camp...had just re-signed Cumiskey...and have a rook or two at the Rock that can get a look. I don't think that there will be any panic trades to cover this.

Edit: Although losing DK for a month or so isn't great, Cap relief from LTIR might actually be a blessing in disguise for the Team.

Last edited by thefoss1957; 10-20-2015 at 11:57 AM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a huge blow to the Hawks as Keith is the main cog in the Hawks wheel. They aren't going to fetch a defenseman remotely close to as good so it will be interesting to see how much they are willing to give up for a stop gap or what they can accept with their cap situation.

Russell would be a good fit for the way they play but I expect Treliving doesn't want to part with him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Giving DK 6 weeks off isn't the worst thing that could happen...yeah, he is our #1 D, but, unless the O goes completely in the tank, the 'Hawks shouldn't scuffle all that badly...the Playoffs will neither be gained nor lost in November...a fresher DK coming back can be a good thing.

The 'Hawks had Visnovsky in camp...had just re-signed Cumiskey...and have a rook or two at the Rock that can get a look. I don't think that there will be any panic trades to cover this.

Edit: Although losing DK for a month or so isn't great, Cap relief from LTIR might actually be a blessing in disguise for the Team.
I think you're looking at this a bit too positively Foss. The Hawks were already much weaker than last year, and they just lost their #1 defenseman...a defenseman who is always in Norris conversation. That's a huge hole to fill. You have half a defensive pair to make 3 pairs. Van Riemsdyk, Svedberg, and Rundblad are all playing above their capabilities. The bottom 6 forwards are average at best.

The Blackhawks were already going to have a tough time making the playoffs as it was. Losing Keith for this long, and then getting him up to speed following a knee surgery (hardest for a hockey player to return from), will probably leave him out of the lineup in an effective capacity for 2 months.

If I'm a Hawks fan, I'm panicking and looking for any top 4 d-man that can fill the hole and possibly play the rest of the year.

So...Wideman? Smid at half price? Engelland at half price?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cali...most 'Hawk fans would revolt if Pokka or another prospect is moved...many felt that Stan gave up too many prospects in moves late last year...I truly expect them to attempt to ride this out with what's on hand.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #16
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

Wasn't the Hawks biggest issue in the playoffs last year D depth? Their 3rd pairing was only getting like 3 minutes a game. Not sure how losing their franchise #1 d-man for 6 weeks is going to help....
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #17
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heep...Huge difference between regular season and playoffs...It is bad, yes, but, it is not yet "win or go golfing" time...I expect Daley/TVR, Seabrook/Svedberg, Hjammer/(Cumiskey, Rundblad, or Pokka) to be the pairings, with a heavy dose of Hammer/Seabs and Daley/TVR in 3rd periods of close games.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cali...most 'Hawk fans would revolt if Pokka or another prospect is moved...many felt that Stan gave up too many prospects in moves late last year...I truly expect them to attempt to ride this out with what's on hand.
Listen, I don't blame that line of thinking, but I honestly think the West is far too tough to go with the lineup you have for 2 months.

If you're comfortable with that, then be comfortable with the idea of likely missing the playoffs this year. Outside of Colorado, I don't see any team in the Central you would finish ahead of right now. Too much competition. In that scenario you'd be lucky to be 9th or 10th.

Honestly, you have to salvage the season somehow. I think we'd even be willing to take back Bickell along with a prospect and/or a pick for someone like Wideman. At the very least, you'd have someone with lots of NHL experience and a valuable power play asset. It actually makes a lot of sense to me...if Brodie wasn't injured. Once he comes back though, it could happen.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Getting rid of Bickell's cap hit would be a slam dunk yes,even if it did nothing to fill the hole at LD