Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #481
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Okay, I'll bite. First, Russian isn't a race. Second, how is pointing out the statistically-verified, commonly held beliefs of a society racist exactly? I've never said "I hate all Russian." I said their culture and society was garbage and I was specifically referring to the dominant culture in 21st century Russia. Exactly none of that pertains to race.
This is all 100% accurate.

However, Northcrunk is onto something, despite seeming to stumble over it accidentally and mischaracterize the point in the course of unearthing it. This same sort of rational exercise is routinely referred to as bigotry when applied to statistically verified commonly held beliefs in Muslim societies. We're way off the rails of this thread at this point and I don't really want to get into the weeds on that, but it's worth noting the analogy and setting it aside for the next time that discussion rears its head.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #482
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's hard for us to relate to the Hollywood stuff because it's simply its own culture that we as outsiders can't relate. On one hand you have actresses like Uma Thurman condemning the Weinstein which is understandable but then there's the pictures of her posing kissing him at parties and celebrating when their movies win awards. It's like the entire culture is based off creeps and fakes. I'm kind of torn in that many of these actors/actresses put fame and money ahead of doing what was right. Is fear of getting blackballed a good enough reason to enable the cycle to repeat over and over and over to the people that come behind you? Like I said maybe as an outsider I can't fully understand and maybe I would do the same in their situation but there does seem to be a degree of selfishness all around.
That's not unusual though when it comes down to it. Many abused people put a smiling face on in public especially when they believe if they don't their career, health or life could be in jeopardy.

It is really not a Hollywood/entertainment industry only thing. It happens in every industry in every city in every country in the world.

My fear is that this is indeed being viewed just as a Hollywood problem more and more as the days go by because that is all we hear about. I certainly don't want to see the "regular" person remaining silent because the behavior purge stops at the edge of Hollywood.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #483
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

However, Northcrunk is onto something, despite seeming to stumble over it accidentally and mischaracterize the point in the course of unearthing it. This same sort of rational exercise is routinely referred to as bigotry when applied to statistically verified commonly held beliefs in Muslim societies. We're way off the rails of this thread at this point and I don't really want to get into the weeds on that, but it's worth noting the analogy and setting it aside for the next time that discussion rears its head.
Yeah, I don’t know about that. Rubecube reiterated multiple times that he doesn’t dislike Russians, but that he has a problem with the society and culture. This is not at all different than northcrunk’s history regarding Muslim conversations. He’s said many times he doesn’t dislike Muslims, but has a problem with Islam.

I don’t see a vast difference. It just rings hollow for the same guy who has called out virtue signalling and playing the race card to be doing the same thing when convenient.

I think we can all agree that the beliefs that permeate most of Russian society and are held by the vast majority of Russians are, in fact, garbage. That said, there are some incredible Russian people who do amazing things, represent their country well, and are far more socially liberal than their country, and we should be celebrating those people and holding them up as representations of what Russia should be, instead of what it is.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #484
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If only I'd addressed that when I first started the derail...

Quote:
If you want to say that Muslims generally have backwards views regarding homosexuality and women's rights, you can easily find enough evidence supporting your argument. That's not typifying a group, it's stating what are commonly held beliefs.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #485
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think we can all agree that the beliefs that permeate most of Russian society and are held by the vast majority of Russians are, in fact, garbage. That said, there are some incredible Russian people who do amazing things, represent their country well, and are far more socially liberal than their country, and we should be celebrating those people and holding them up as representations of what Russia should be, instead of what it is.
I'll take it one step further and say I have a profound amount of respect and admiration for what Russia has contributed to the arts, philosophy and science throughout history. That's why I find modern day Russia and the "New Russians" to be such a tragedy. The predominant culture they're choosing to adopt and export is trash in comparison to what they've produced in the past.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #486
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is not at all different than northcrunk’s history regarding Muslim conversations. He’s said many times he doesn’t dislike Muslims, but has a problem with Islam. I don’t see a vast difference. It just rings hollow for the same guy who has called out virtue signalling and playing the race card to be doing the same thing when convenient.
This is basically what I was trying to point to, including the fact that Northcrunk was stumbling over his own point. There isn't really a difference between the two sorts of cultural criticism. Neither is bigoted.
Quote:
If only I'd addressed that when I first started the derail...
I clearly missed that, fair play.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 11-29-2017 at 02:15 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #487
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is basically what I was trying to point to, including the fact that Northcrunk was stumbling over his own point. There isn't really a difference between the two sorts of cultural criticism. Neither is bigoted.
I wouldn't say neither is bigoted.

I would say neither is necessarily bigoted, but I think it's pretty rational to question the possible bigotry of people saying things like that.

Cultural criticism and bigotry do often go hand in hand.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #488
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

We seemed to be all okay with cultural criticism when it was Hollywood's culture being criticized.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #489
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite the list of accusations against Lauer:

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/mat...en-1202625959/

NSFW!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #490
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mean to be flippant, but the most surprising thing I've come away from this whole scandal with is how many dudes enjoy exposing their penis to co-workers. I don't get it.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #491
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
We seemed to be all okay with cultural criticism when it was Hollywood's culture being criticized.
Hollywood is "our" culture, so fair game.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #492
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'll take it one step further and say I have a profound amount of respect and admiration for what Russia has contributed to the arts, philosophy and science throughout history. That's why I find modern day Russia and the "New Russians" to be such a tragedy. The predominant culture they're choosing to adopt and export is trash in comparison to what they've produced in the past.
They've produced some pretty horrific culture in the past as well, so my Ukrainian grandparents told anyways.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #493
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Quite the list of accusations against Lauer:

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/mat...en-1202625959/

NSFW!
WTF is wrong with people.

Seriously, we've all seen managers take special interest in hot young women, but exposing yourself and sending them vibrators? Who the @#$# thinks that women would be interested in that or that they would ever get away with something like that? It's the kind of behaviour that is just totally detached from reality.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #494
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^ I can only assume the same type of people who consider a dick pic as a suitable greeting.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #495
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest thing for me about Lauer and all of these guys, is how the hell are they seemingly horny 24/7/365? And not just a little horny, but like raring to go and always ready to whip their dicks out or masturbate unprompted. Maybe they need to study these guys brains to figure out what causes this kind of behavior. I get the power aspect of it, but there's something more to this. Lots of people exert power and they aren't sexual degenerates.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #496
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The biggest thing for me about Lauer and all of these guys, is how the hell are they seemingly horny 24/7/365? And not just a little horny, but like raring to go and always ready to whip their dicks out or masturbate unprompted. Maybe they need to study these guys brains to figure out what causes this kind of behavior. I get the power aspect of it, but there's something more to this. Lots of people exert power and they aren't sexual degenerates.
Maybe it's just an issue of X percent of the population having sexual mental health issues. Normally those people would be arrested and put in jail for being peeping toms, flashers, etc...These people get powerful, so their behaviour is tolerated instead. It could also have something to do with the kind of risks required to become powerful in showbiz. Perhaps, by its nature, the industry will just always be filled with compulsive people. Either way, it's very weird and goes beyond regular power/harassment issues.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #497
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Lauer is the first one, I think, that I’ve found genuinely surprising. Some combination of his public image and not having heard rumours I guess (maybe they were out there?)
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #498
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the heck was Lauer killing it on the road too?? He looks like Gollum. This whole story is so bizarre
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #499
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Maybe it's just an issue of X percent of the population having sexual mental health issues. Normally those people would be arrested and put in jail for being peeping toms, flashers, etc...These people get powerful, so their behaviour is tolerated instead. It could also have something to do with the kind of risks required to become powerful in showbiz. Perhaps, by its nature, the industry will just always be filled with compulsive people. Either way, it's very weird and goes beyond regular power/harassment issues.
Yeah just some these stories are beyond normal even for sexual deviant standards. I do think the feeling of invincibility they seem to have has a lot to do with it, almost like they wanna see how far they can push the boundaries before someone does something.

Quote:
Lauer is the first one, I think, that I’ve found genuinely surprising. Some combination of his public image and not having heard rumours I guess (maybe they were out there?)
Lauer has always been a noted dick, especially how he ran off Ann Curry and Tamron Hall from Today. Before today I don't think there were many rumours he was this depraved, but it's not that shocking to me this has come out.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #500
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yeah just some these stories are beyond normal even for sexual deviant standards. I do think the feeling of invincibility they seem to have has a lot to do with it, almost like they wanna see how far they can push the boundaries before someone does something.
Maybe their lives are awful, and they are trapped by the lifestyle. They push this over the top behaviour for a way out....Any psychiatrists in the house? I'm just grasping at straws for some kind of explanation to this disturbing madness.