Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #2541
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I am not a climate denier at all. I do believe the planet is warming.

My issue with all of this is that people like me would take this a bit more serious if people like the 44th POTUS didn't fly all the way to Glasgow to deliver a speech on how burning fossil fuels is bad for the environment.

I think change is good. This change is going to be disruptive but good. It's a huge opportunity for new kinds of jobs.

However, I think symbolism matters. Doing COP26 over zoom like the rest of us have been doing meetings the last 18 months would make their pleas more palatable.
How seriously you take climate change is dependent on the behavior of the POTUS?

The reality of climate change is what it is. It doesn't magically become less serious or consequential just because the POTUS flew to Glasgow.

Look, I get the hypocrisy argument, I also wish he hadn't done that, but the reality of climate change doesn't change just because some politicians do hypocritical things.
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 08:08 AM   #2542
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't think its hypocritical at all that POTUS flies to a world leaders meeting. Doesn't matter where the meeting is.

Come on guys. World leaders need to meet face to face. We all know its a better form of interaction and it vastly increases your ability to hammer out a deal.

The hypocrisy is in what they want to do, and not that they met.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #2543
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't think its hypocritical at all that POTUS flies to a world leaders meeting. Doesn't matter where the meeting is.

Come on guys. World leaders need to meet face to face. We all know its a better form of interaction and it vastly increases your ability to hammer out a deal.

The hypocrisy is in what they want to do, and not that they met.
Leaders are one thing, but apparently there were over 30 000 attendees. Considering average emissions from flights, excluding all other emissions from the conference, that's still around 30MT, or over 10% of Alberta's yearly emissions. It's not nothing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #2544
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yup, and I already said that everyone else should have stayed home, but jeepers I didn't know there were that many people.

lol, that is unreal actually.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #2545
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Leaders are one thing, but apparently there were over 30 000 attendees. Considering average emissions from flights, excluding all other emissions from the conference, that's still around 30MT, or over 10% of Alberta's yearly emissions. It's not nothing.
Most of them probably bought carbon offsets for their flights.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #2546
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Most of them probably bought carbon offsets for their flights.
Well that changes everything.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #2547
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly who cares in the grand scheme of things. Is it a bad look - sure. Are your numbers likely wrong - also sure (highly doubt every took a flight that wouldn't have occurred without them doing that and the 30,000 is probably high).

Its just a distraction to a bigger discussion.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #2548
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Honestly who cares in the grand scheme of things. Is it a bad look - sure. Are your numbers likely wrong - also sure (highly doubt every took a flight that wouldn't have occurred without them doing that and the 30,000 is probably high).

Its just a distraction to a bigger discussion.
Yes, my numbers were extremely averaged and ball parked, thoguh the 30 000 was directly form news reports. The point is, we are all being asked and are looking for new ways to do things that produce fewer emissions. Perhaps these conferences should also be spearheading these ideas, to show corporations that no, you don't need to fly everywhere and meet in person. There is a better way. Watch us. What hope do we have, if they can't even put the effort in to try it? During a global pandemic seems like a good time to give it a shot.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #2549
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, my numbers were extremely averaged and ball parked, thoguh the 30 000 was directly form news reports. The point is, we are all being asked and are looking for new ways to do things that produce fewer emissions. Perhaps these conferences should also be spearheading these ideas, to show corporations that no, you don't need to fly everywhere and meet in person. There is a better way. Watch us. What hope do we have, if they can't even put the effort in to try it? During a global pandemic seems like a good time to give it a shot.

No. This is forest and trees stuff here.

Personal sacrifice was never the way this is going to happen. It needs policy changes and that needs governments getting together. Aviation is responsible for only 2% of emissions, so cutting these flights is more performative theater than going.

For example concrete is responsible for about 8% of greenhouse emissions. Even if going green doubles the price of concrete, it would only add a few percent on to total construction costs for some buildings. Companies themselves won't choose this route, butt policies could start a shift. Same with steel. Road transport is a bigger emitter than aviation and the switch to electric transport needs massive policy and investment shifts. To make these shifts, corporations need signals from government that this is going to happen and the policy environment is going to require it. If there's no EV incentives, nor fleet emission targets, does GM invest $30B in battery development? No, because they need some certainty it'll be money well spent

On the flip side, the politicking going on in Glasgow when there's an existential crisis is beyond infuriating. But these are politicians, and by definition they need to go where the political winds push them, so here we are. Symbolism matters when needing to push big change because the voters need to push this.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #2550
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
No. This is forest and trees stuff here.

Personal sacrifice was never the way this is going to happen. It needs policy changes and that needs governments getting together. Aviation is responsible for only 2% of emissions, so cutting these flights is more performative theater than going.

For example concrete is responsible for about 8% of greenhouse emissions. Even if going green doubles the price of concrete, it would only add a few percent on to total construction costs for some buildings. Companies themselves won't choose this route, butt policies could start a shift. Same with steel. Road transport is a bigger emitter than aviation and the switch to electric transport needs massive policy and investment shifts. To make these shifts, corporations need signals from government that this is going to happen and the policy environment is going to require it. If there's no EV incentives, nor fleet emission targets, does GM invest $30B in battery development? No, because they need some certainty it'll be money well spent

On the flip side, the politicking going on in Glasgow when there's an existential crisis is beyond infuriating. But these are politicians, and by definition they need to go where the political winds push them, so here we are. Symbolism matters when needing to push big change because the voters need to push this.
That was exactly why I made the comment.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #2551
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every hour a whole plane is in flight emits approximately 1/4 ton of GHG eq. Even if all 30,000 took private planes I'm not sure you could get to a percentage of that number.

10% of Alberta's yearly emissions is 27,000,000 tons of CO2e
https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-an...20per%20capita.

An 8 hour flight creates about 2 tons CO2e

https://www.carbonindependent.org/22.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #2552
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every hour a whole plane is in flight emits approximately 1/4 ton of GHG eq. Even if all 30,000 took private planes I'm not sure you could get to a percentage of that number.

10% of Alberta's yearly emissions is 27,000,000 tons of CO2e
https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-an...20per%20capita.

An 8 hour flight creates about 2 tons CO2e

https://www.carbonindependent.org/22.html

I just assumed 1 ton per person, about a 4 hour flight. 30 000 people, 30 000 tons, and oh my, I've made a giant math mistake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #2553
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But out of those 30,000 attendees, I bet 99% farted while they were there…methane!
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #2554
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was exactly why I made the comment.
The symbolism of personal sacrifice isn't as important as signaling what policy shifts need to happen
Old 11-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #2555
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Aviation is responsible for only 2% of emissions, so cutting these flights is more performative theater than going.
2% is about the global percentage Canada emits so us going to zero emissions is performative theater.

I'll just say it, your argument is terrible. Emissions are like weight reduction in a car, you chop away as much as possible from every single component to get to your target.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #2556
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
2% is about the global percentage Canada emits so us going to zero emissions is performative theater.

I'll just say it, your argument is terrible. Emissions are like weight reduction in a car, you chop away as much as possible from every single component to get to your target.
I'm confused by the 2% comment. Are you suggesting by not flying to COP26 somehow that 2% is affected? Those flights would be 0.001% of that 2%. Them flying or not changes literally nothing in real terms. We're arguing about symbolism here because the GHG emissions of those flights are less than negligible. I'm not sure what your point with Canada's emissions is.

My argument is: there will be more substantive policy shifts and global political will by getting together than not. That's it. Symbolism matters and the symbolism of sacrificing a flight <<<< than the symbolism of global leaders showing this in an important matter to work together on.

If you want to have the "I'm not cleaning my filthy house until others do!" argument, have at it. Seems silly to me but go ahead. Leaders going or not to the conference is completely unrelated to that argument

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 11-12-2021 at 11:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #2557
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you want to have the "I'm not cleaning my filthy house until others do!" argument, have at it. Seems silly to me but go ahead. Leaders going or not to the conference is completely unrelated to that argument
My carbon footprint is something like 4.44444444444e-10 of total in Canada, means nothing in real terms.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #2558
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Aviation is a legitimate target because almost all of it is unnecessary leisure and business travel. Reducing vacations to Cancun and prestige business travel is cutting back on a luxury good. It would be less painful than increasing the cost of growing and transporting food around the globe, for instance.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-12-2021 at 12:12 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:13 PM   #2559
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
My carbon footprint is something like 4.44444444444e-10 of total in Canada, means nothing in real terms.
Correct!! This is exactly my point. We can't be looking for individual contributions. If we ask people to skip flying vacations, buy local and looked for low carbon options for stuff, we likely make almost zero impact.

But if governments get together and make policy changes regarding EV adoption, electric generation, construction, and industrial processes we can make massive change. So why insist on personal sacrifice first? It makes no sense
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #2560
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Aviation is a legitimate target because almost all of it is unnecessary leisure and business travel. Reducing vacations to Cancun and prestige business travel is cutting back on a luxury good. It would be less painful than increasing the cost of growing and transporting food around the globe, for instance.
Except we have to do it all. You can't shave aviation's 2% contribution in half and think that will somehow offset the changes needed in 40% of the emissions. And even if it did, decimating one industry so we don't harm another isn't a persuasive argument anyways