Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #21
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Either way they need a top 4.
Well then someone has to play their offside. I can’t think of a single RHD who plays the left side in the league. So you’re giving a guy a huge contract assuming the pieces are going to fit without seeing them play a single game together.

Seems questionable. Faulk could easily end up being on their third pairing here.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #22
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Someone tell me how to feel about this
Brodie has more value then we think still.

The fact that him+Jankowski almost got Kadri, and now Faulk got this package, means that Brodie would still have value in a deal.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good trade for the hurricanes as well as a good pickup by St. Louis. Looks like a win-win trade at first glance.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its the extension that makes this trade work. If you want this kind of return for Brodie, you'd think the acquiring team would want to have negotiated something.

I don't think a 7 year term for Faulk is bad. That would be like 5 years fro Brodie which seems just fine.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't get it.

Why would a team with Pietrangelo and Parayko want Faulk?
They're clearly trading one of those two
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Well then someone has to play their offside. I can’t think of a single RHD who plays the left side in the league. So you’re giving a guy a huge contract assuming the pieces are going to fit without seeing them play a single game together.

Seems questionable. Faulk could easily end up being on their third pairing here.
Yeah. You are right. If I had to guess, I’d think they are moving Pietrangelo, who probably expects a raise next year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #27
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since when did Don Waddell become good at GMing.

I honestly thought his hire would lead the Canes into the dark ages. I know Eric Tulsky is key to a lot they do, but Don should get some credit.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #28
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great Trade for Carolina.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #29
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Since when did Don Waddell become good at GMing.

I honestly thought his hire would lead the Canes into the dark ages. I know Eric Tulsky is key to a lot they do, but Don should get some credit.
Really the only questionable trade he has made was the deal with the Flames but I think much of that was ownership making a statement about RFA negotiations.

The Canes have had a nice summer and they made some good moves last year as well
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Really the only questionable trade he has made was the deal with the Flames but I think much of that was ownership making a statement about RFA negotiations.

The Canes have had a nice summer and they made some good moves last year as well
Even then, the trade itself for Carolina—in terms of the players involved—was a very good one. It didn't work out so great because of Ferland's and Fox's decision to play elsewhere, but if they had those two on the same deals they signed with NYR and Vancouver, this would still have been a great deal for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #31
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post

Last year Carolina had Faulk, Hamilton, Pesce and TVR all as right shots, so at least one was playing on the off-wing.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #32
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no love for the Canes, but they did really well here. Faulk is a mistake prone 2nd pairing defender who feasts on the first PP. Both Pesce and Hamilton are vastly superior. TVR can fill in his 5 on 5 minutes no problem and Hamilton now gets the PP1 time that Faulk took. In return they get a recent 1st round pick forward, which they need, and defensive depth.

No idea what St Louis is doing
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #33
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Initial when I read the title I thought it said Faulk traded to Edmonton... but it's actually for Edmundson.

Sigh or relief for everyone involved...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #34
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't get it.

Why would a team with Pietrangelo and Parayko want Faulk?
Why wouldn't they want to upgrade their defense core?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Even then, the trade itself for Carolina—in terms of the players involved—was a very good one. It didn't work out so great because of Ferland's and Fox's decision to play elsewhere, but if they had those two on the same deals they signed with NYR and Vancouver, this would still have been a great deal for them.
And they did essentially get 2 2nd's for Fox, and if Rangers are no good those are high 2nds.

There was a lot of value exchanged in that trade, even if Flames came out on the good side.

The funny thing is, if you asked Carolina fans what the biggest upgrade for them was last year, I think they'd say at head coach. Which is just kind of interesting, as many Flames fans would say the same thing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the destination I would have thought, especially with so many teams having a weak right side. You'd have thought Edmonton or Winnipeg would be front runners, but I suppose Faulk might have said "screw that" to those options. Or even NYC, given that they're trying to accelerate the rebuild there, although they might think Fox and Deangelo are going to fill those 2nd and 3rd pairing roles quickly.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Andy Strickland @andystrickland
Carolina is keeping 14% of Justin Faulk's salary this season #stlblues
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
And they did essentially get 2 2nd's for Fox, and if Rangers are no good those are high 2nds.

There was a lot of value exchanged in that trade, even if Flames came out on the good side.

The funny thing is, if you asked Carolina fans what the biggest upgrade for them was last year, I think they'd say at head coach. Which is just kind of interesting, as many Flames fans would say the same thing.
I think this probably shows that most fans aren't able to distinguish "good" from "bad" coaching. While I think there was definitely an improvement behind the bench in Calgary, it is pretty clear that the biggest difference made was the upgrade in on-ice personnel.

For Carolina, I don't know how one ignores the difference that quality goaltending are for them last year. With the disastrous duo of Cam Ward and Scott Darling the Hurricanes were #24 in GA in 2017–18. They improved dramatically to #8 behind McElhinney and Mrazek last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-24-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #39
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also such a thing as 'fit' for coaching.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:44 AM   #40
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think this probably shows that most fans aren't able to distinguish "good" from "bad" coaching. While I think there was definitely an improvement behind the bench in Calgary, it is pretty clear that the biggest difference made was the upgrade in on-ice personnel.

For Carolina, I don't know how one ignores the difference that quality goaltending are for them last year. With the disastrous duo of Cam Ward and Scott Darling the Hurricanes were #24 in GA in 2017–18. They improved dramatically to #8 behind McElhinney and Mrazek last year.
Too simple imo.

There are many articles that make the case that goaltending stats are a function of team play. (Obviously a goalie can suck his way in to a .8xx sv% by not saving what he should, but a goalie who does save what he should will have a sv% influences by team play. Look no further than D Sutter vs Keenan era Kipper)

Gulutzan had demonstrably horrible strategies and laughable motivational abilities that had some folks on this site tearing their hair out . That coaching change was addition by subtraction.

How dare you not blame Gulutzan for his failings! Johnny is not a 61 point player!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote