Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 06:41 AM   #5281
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Reminds me of the UCP and the Allan inquiry.

Heck it reminds me of the UCP and the Preston Manning inquiry going on right now.
Yeah but you outrage when the UCP does it and when the Liberals do the same, it's politics at its finest? Politics seem pointless when corruption is accepted as long as it doesn't come from the parties I don't like.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 06:58 AM   #5282
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Are you okay with the way the Liberals & Trudeau are handling this?

If not, will you vote NDP next federal election?
Well, you never know. I’m voting NDP provincially. Not because I like them, but because the alternative is unconscionable.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 07:03 AM   #5283
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but you outrage when the UCP does it and when the Liberals do the same, it's politics at its finest? Politics seem pointless when corruption is accepted as long as it doesn't come from the parties I don't like.
Oh please. My point is appointing allies isn't something only Trudeau does. It's what politicians do.

You getting defensive sure makes it seem like you don't like that opinion though.

You should stop getting so hot and bothered
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:30 AM   #5284
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh please. My point is appointing allies isn't something only Trudeau does. It's what politicians do.

You getting defensive sure makes it seem like you don't like that opinion though.

Your post read as “all political parties do this, politics suck, but what can you do”

Its not unreasonable to interpret that as acceptance, as you could have gone on to chide the Liberals for doing it. Especially given the higher stakes.

This is a major power influencing our elections to control us, not some anti oil protest investigation.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 07:35 AM   #5285
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Ah, and here we go - the perceived magnitude of the issue by a partisan slant is the real problem. I said Justin was in the hot seat. Do you want me to up the outrage?

And Anti-oil campaigns? Healthcare? Piddly poo. But Chinese interference? You can't just slam politicians, you have to slam liberals! This is an outrage!

I assume we're just not going to talk about compromised conservative politicians while we're at it, right?

The right-wing woke mind is something to behold. Truly partisan beyond words.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:40 AM   #5286
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, and here we go - the perceived magnitude of the issue by a partisan slant is the real problem. I said Justin was in the hot seat. Do you want me to up the outrage?

And Anti-oil campaigns? Healthcare? Piddly poo. But Chinese interference? You can't just slam politicians, you have to slam liberals! This is an outrage!

I assume we're just not going to talk about compromised conservative politicians while we're at it, right?

The right-wing woke mind is something to behold. Truly partisan beyond words.

You’re making a fool of yourself in this thread. I would stick to the Alberta Provincial thread and you can bash Smith all you want.

What is going on at a Federal level is an attack on the very bedrock of our democracy regardless of what party you voted for.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #5287
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I love it.
It's like the Liberals are trolling all the Conservatives and their base. Like saying "we dare you to do something about it"
The fact that the Conservatives are so bereft of actual leadership that they pose no threat to the Liberals must be part of the calculation. In fact, one could argue that the Conservative Party is actually to blame for this!
More like they're trolling the NDP, who have the power to bring down the government.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:54 AM   #5288
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Not at all. Justin's on the hot seat. But other people appoint allies to their causes so it's not like this is something new.

Politics at its finest.
Its like when your party forms a government, and everyone is screaming about how broken the health care system is, so you designate $30 million and hire a 'friend' to do a review.

Been happening for years.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:54 AM   #5289
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
You’re making a fool of yourself in this thread. I would stick to the Alberta Provincial thread and you can bash Smith all you want.

What is going on at a Federal level is an attack on the very bedrock of our democracy regardless of what party you voted for.
Wow.

Tell me you lack self awareness without telling me you lack self awareness.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #5290
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Wow.

Tell me you lack self awareness without telling me you lack self awareness.
I give props to him for actually emoting and not just robotically posting far-right Tweets!
Old 03-16-2023, 08:01 AM   #5291
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This one is different. This is analogous to Kenny canceling the investigation into his leadership fraud.

Because of the seriousness of the allegations and it’s potential impact on the underpinnings of our democracy it needs to both be impartial and appear impartial.

Things dealing with policy like the Allan inquiry or Manning inquiry are designed as political theater to provide backing for these positions. Everyone knows that. To suggest that the same level of theater on an investigation into the underpinning of democracy should be treated with the same level of outrage is not appropriate.

One of the most important aspects of the outcome of this commission will be people having faith that the commission investigated the right things and evaluated the evidence dispassionately. Having an obvious conflict of interest doesn’t allow for this

Last edited by GGG; 03-16-2023 at 08:04 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 08:02 AM   #5292
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Tough to take words of caution about “an attack on the very bedrock of our democracy” seriously from a pro-Russian election denier.

Perhaps the poster in question better leave the conversation to the many posters already contributing that actually bring something worthwhile.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:05 AM   #5293
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Tough to have faith if the person looking after the commission is a 'family friend.'
Old 03-16-2023, 08:19 AM   #5294
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do hate the idea that now that is leaking in from the US that person X (mainly judges) can't be trusted because they were appointed by either the Liberals or Conservatives (depending on your lean). Things aren't as polarized here and people should be able to be trusted if they are judges/high level appointees.

That said - in this case - if this guy is a good friend of Trudeau - they should use someone different and they are right to be called out for this.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM   #5295
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Dany Fortin suing the Government, Trudeau and Saijan, Eyre and others for $6 million dollars. Likely to get the Norman settlement.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/seni...r-6m-1.6314866

Quote:
OTTAWA - Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin, a senior military officer who was acquitted of a sexual assault charge late last year, has filed a $6-million lawsuit against the Canadian government.
Fortin, who was dropped as the lead for Canada's COVID-19 vaccine program in early 2021, has named 16 high-ranking officials in a wide-ranging suit, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre, former defence minister Harjit Sajjan and former health minister Patty Hajdu.
A statement of claim filed on Wednesday with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice accuses the officials of "reprehensible, extreme, flagrant and high-handed" conduct and seeks $5 million in general damages and $1 million in punitive damages.
Quote:
he document alleges that Fortin suffered the damages due to defamation and misfeasance in public office. It also accuses the officials of negligent investigation, the inappropriate public disclosure of private facts, breach of confidence and conspiracy to cause damages.
Quote:
The military formally cleared Fortin of misconduct on the balance of probabilities in January, and said it would assign him to a new role. But the lawsuit alleges the Canadian Armed Forces is either refusing or unreasonably delaying his reintegration.
The statement of claim says that's because defendants it names as "political actors" have "made it clear" to the military's leadership that Fortin cannot return to his regular duties, have "tarnished" his reputation with the military itself and have created a climate in which someone who "has done nothing wrong" cannot advance their career once someone else makes an allegation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:26 AM   #5296
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I do hate the idea that now that is leaking in from the US that person X (mainly judges) can't be trusted because they were appointed by either the Liberals or Conservatives (depending on your lean). Things aren't as polarized here and people should be able to be trusted if they are judges/high level appointees.

That said - in this case - if this guy is a good friend of Trudeau - they should use someone different and they are right to be called out for this.
no if here. Trudeau has publicly said he's a good family friend, and as previously posted, the guy is involved with the Trudeau foundation.

just the stupidest choice possible, if you're looking to have any credibility.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 08:44 AM   #5297
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
no if here. Trudeau has publicly said he's a good family friend, and as previously posted, the guy is involved with the Trudeau foundation.

just the stupidest choice possible, if you're looking to have any credibility.
This I absolutely agree with. Optics matter. Should have had the Senate come up with a neutral third-party or something along those lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 08:46 AM   #5298
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Justin has been good at exposing flaws in our democratic system(purposefully or not!). Any investigation involving the PM or governing party should be totally out of their hands.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:47 AM   #5299
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

Sorry Ozy, gotta agree with Yoho on this one. I mean, if anyone would know about making a fool of themselves... Yoho's kind of an expert on the subject.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 08:51 AM   #5300
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say what you will, selecting David Johnston is very, very on brand for Trudeau.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: