Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Ivrnet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #181
Joborule
Franchise Player
 
Joborule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
“Professional” Hockey Writers. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, these people aren't any different, nor smarter than your passionate hockey fan. If they actually were smart hockey minds, instead of writing about hockey, they would actually be directly involved in hockey operations by being in the front office of some franchise.

The fact that Draisaitl is MVP because he was points leader proves that. It would be one thing if it was a record breaking amount (215 points by Gretzky in '86), but Drai only got 110, which was only 13 more than his teammate McDavid. If the team made the playoffs, okay sure. Because his production did lead to playoff qualification. But they didn't. So how valuable was his points really?
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #182
81MC
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Exp:
Default

Further proof that the only award that actually means anything is the Stanley Cup.
__________________
Quote:
Accused of assaulting a fish! Funniest thing I have ever heard.
81MC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #183
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Honestly, these people aren't any different, nor smarter than your passionate hockey fan. If they actually were smart hockey minds, instead of writing about hockey, they would actually be directly involved in hockey operations by being in the front office of some franchise.

The fact that Draisaitl is MVP because he was points leader proves that. It would be one thing if it was a record breaking amount (215 points by Gretzky in '86), but Drai only got 110, which was only 13 more than his teammate McDavid. If the team made the playoffs, okay sure. Because his production did lead to playoff qualification. But they didn't. So how valuable was his points really?
I think no one being fed by McDavid is deserving of the Hart. But your argument is what they used against Iggy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #184
Robbob
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

The fact that 2 players, from the same team, are on a lot the ballots is really counter intuitive for most valuable to his team if another player is seen as important.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #185
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The fact that 2 players, from the same team, are on a lot the ballots is really counter intuitive for most valuable to his team if another player is seen as important.
I don't actually think it is. It rather reinforces the point about just how incredibly poorly the Oilers are constructed that they depend so heavily on two players. To put it another way, both McHobo and Draisaitl are more crucial to Edmonton's ability to play in the NHL than any single player is to any other team in tbe League. In other words, Edmonton is so incredibly no good that it requires two players to do what for most teams is accomplished by one. It's extreme talent-deficit filling.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #186
Robbob
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't actually think it is. It rather reinforces the point about just how incredibly poorly the Oilers are constructed that they depend so heavily on two players. To put it another way, both McHobo and Draisaitl are more crucial to Edmonton's ability to play in the NHL than any single player is to any other team in tbe League. In other words, Edmonton is so incredibly no good that it requires two players to do what for most teams is accomplished by one. It's extreme talent-deficit filling.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I guess, but last time I checked the Hart wasn't a tandem award like the Jennings.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #187
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I guess, but last time I checked the Hart wasn't a tandem award like the Jennings.
No, but I think tbe recognition of two players reinforces just how utterly screwed the Oilers would be by removing either one of them. Without either one, they would drop from one of the worst teams in the NHL to the absolute worst team in NHL history by an unbridgable margin.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #188
Robbob
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

What could have been. One lottery ball from more than likely drafting Strome and flaming out again and forcing a Lindros situation with Matthews if they one the lottery again. Matthews already preemptively went to play pro in Switzerland just in case the Oilers were in the lottery again.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #189
Kasi
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No, but I think tbe recognition of two players reinforces just how utterly screwed the Oilers would be by removing either one of them. Without either one, they would drop from one of the worst teams in the NHL to the absolute worst team in NHL history by an unbridgable margin.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Ehh I think it’s more that the Hart isn’t the mvp trophy for most voters, it’s just a re-skinned Art Ross. The two were high up in scoring thus they’re on the Hart list.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:04 AM   #190
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Credit to the Oilers, they sure do know how to draft Hart trophy winning forwards.
__________________
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016