Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #181
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
“Professional” Hockey Writers. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, these people aren't any different, nor smarter than your passionate hockey fan. If they actually were smart hockey minds, instead of writing about hockey, they would actually be directly involved in hockey operations by being in the front office of some franchise.

The fact that Draisaitl is MVP because he was points leader proves that. It would be one thing if it was a record breaking amount (215 points by Gretzky in '86), but Drai only got 110, which was only 13 more than his teammate McDavid. If the team made the playoffs, okay sure. Because his production did lead to playoff qualification. But they didn't. So how valuable was his points really?
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #182
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Further proof that the only award that actually means anything is the Stanley Cup.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #183
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Honestly, these people aren't any different, nor smarter than your passionate hockey fan. If they actually were smart hockey minds, instead of writing about hockey, they would actually be directly involved in hockey operations by being in the front office of some franchise.

The fact that Draisaitl is MVP because he was points leader proves that. It would be one thing if it was a record breaking amount (215 points by Gretzky in '86), but Drai only got 110, which was only 13 more than his teammate McDavid. If the team made the playoffs, okay sure. Because his production did lead to playoff qualification. But they didn't. So how valuable was his points really?
I think no one being fed by McDavid is deserving of the Hart. But your argument is what they used against Iggy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #184
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that 2 players, from the same team, are on a lot the ballots is really counter intuitive for most valuable to his team if another player is seen as important.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #185
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The fact that 2 players, from the same team, are on a lot the ballots is really counter intuitive for most valuable to his team if another player is seen as important.
I don't actually think it is. It rather reinforces the point about just how incredibly poorly the Oilers are constructed that they depend so heavily on two players. To put it another way, both McHobo and Draisaitl are more crucial to Edmonton's ability to play in the NHL than any single player is to any other team in tbe League. In other words, Edmonton is so incredibly no good that it requires two players to do what for most teams is accomplished by one. It's extreme talent-deficit filling.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #186
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't actually think it is. It rather reinforces the point about just how incredibly poorly the Oilers are constructed that they depend so heavily on two players. To put it another way, both McHobo and Draisaitl are more crucial to Edmonton's ability to play in the NHL than any single player is to any other team in tbe League. In other words, Edmonton is so incredibly no good that it requires two players to do what for most teams is accomplished by one. It's extreme talent-deficit filling.

I guess, but last time I checked the Hart wasn't a tandem award like the Jennings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #187
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I guess, but last time I checked the Hart wasn't a tandem award like the Jennings.
No, but I think tbe recognition of two players reinforces just how utterly screwed the Oilers would be by removing either one of them. Without either one, they would drop from one of the worst teams in the NHL to the absolute worst team in NHL history by an unbridgable margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #188
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

What could have been. One lottery ball from more than likely drafting Strome and flaming out again and forcing a Lindros situation with Matthews if they one the lottery again. Matthews already preemptively went to play pro in Switzerland just in case the Oilers were in the lottery again.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #189
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No, but I think tbe recognition of two players reinforces just how utterly screwed the Oilers would be by removing either one of them. Without either one, they would drop from one of the worst teams in the NHL to the absolute worst team in NHL history by an unbridgable margin.

Ehh I think it’s more that the Hart isn’t the mvp trophy for most voters, it’s just a re-skinned Art Ross. The two were high up in scoring thus they’re on the Hart list.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:04 AM   #190
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Credit to the Oilers, they sure do know how to draft Hart trophy winning forwards.