Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2022, 02:23 PM   #1001
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Donít give notice till you have a full unconditional offer signed sealed and delivered.
Absolutely.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #1002
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Starting new job next Monday!
Old 03-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #1003
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

why does it take so long sometimes for the HR dept. to move forward on contracts, when the interview process and negotiations are all done.. a week ago. sigh... Makes it hard to keep focus at present place when you know you're about to give notice.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #1004
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Anyone have advice on “un”accepting an offer?

I got an accepted a job offer, now I have another job offer, and I’m definitely considering on taking the new one. I haven’t started the first one yet.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:18 PM   #1005
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Anyone have advice on ďunĒaccepting an offer?

I got an accepted a job offer, now I have another job offer, and Iím definitely considering on taking the new one. I havenít started the first one yet.
You will likely burn a bridge at the company for a long time. Depending on industry it could affect your reputation. But if the pros out weigh then cons you donít really owe them anything.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 10:46 PM   #1006
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You will likely burn a bridge at the company for a long time. Depending on industry it could affect your reputation. But if the pros out weigh then cons you donít really owe them anything.
Obviously I donít want to burn a bridge, but understand that that could happen.

This job just happened to be through a recruiter too, who would obviously be out her commission if I donít take the role, though I expect she would still get a commission if she brings them someone else for the role.

Personally, I just find this decision tough. I havenít physically been inside either place where I have an offer.

How do I decide on what certainly is a life changing decision based on incomplete information? In my mind, I wanted this second position if I had a choice, before I got either offer. However, I canít turn down the first offer, not knowing if a second offer is going to come at all, but now it has.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:43 AM   #1007
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Obviously I donít want to burn a bridge, but understand that that could happen.

This job just happened to be through a recruiter too, who would obviously be out her commission if I donít take the role, though I expect she would still get a commission if she brings them someone else for the role.

Personally, I just find this decision tough. I havenít physically been inside either place where I have an offer.

How do I decide on what certainly is a life changing decision based on incomplete information? In my mind, I wanted this second position if I had a choice, before I got either offer. However, I canít turn down the first offer, not knowing if a second offer is going to come at all, but now it has.
My experience is that honesty is always the best policy. Just last year I gave 2 weeks notice to go to a better job. I told them straight up it's a better position with more money and there isn't an equivalent position here for me and it's all good, it's not you, it's me.

They were livid and being petty and gave me the option of hopping on a shovel, or leaving. I just left and assumed the bridge was burned but they just called me asking if I was interested in coming back for a better position. I'm not, but at least I know I left with class and integrity, even if it wasn't reciprocated.
I believe.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 03:05 PM   #1008
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Agree with the above advice. The other comment I would add is that always look after yourself. Do what is best for you but do it with tact and honesty.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #1009
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody lie like a mofo on their resume? I haven't had to look for a job in almost 20 years, but I think if I did now I'd just lie to give the monkeys whatever they want. I'm not a liar by nature, but in this dog-eat-dog world, I don't think I'd lose sleep completely making stuff up to get a job. What's the worst that could happen? They don't hire me? They fire me later? Okay, I can live with that.

I'd love to go back in time to the year 2000 when I was looking for a job fresh out of university and having a hell of a time losing out to hot chicks for a good six months before landing a good job. I should have just lied. Nobody checked my transcripts or anything. Wish I had made myself almost super human on the resume instead of being honest like an idiot.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #1010
Macman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the current market is very competitive. If you've been in an industry for even 10 years, think of all the new grads in just those 10 years. There's very keen and smart people in every graduate group.

Companies are also preferring in a lot of positions new and entry level employees or with just a couple years experience. That makes it challenging for someone with 10 plus years experience.
Macman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #1011
kcin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Asking for a friend - any high quality companies you know of that offer the choice of working completely remote? I haven't seen or heard of any of the local oil & gas shops offering this up as a permanent choice. Doesn't have to be oil & gas; can be any industry.

Similar to the above - any recommendations for local recruiting firms that are good to deal with?

Thanks in advance
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #1012
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Asking for a friend - any high quality companies you know of that offer the choice of working completely remote? I haven't seen or heard of any of the local oil & gas shops offering this up as a permanent choice. Doesn't have to be oil & gas; can be any industry.

Similar to the above - any recommendations for local recruiting firms that are good to deal with?

Thanks in advance

I work a fully remote job at Stantec. You could try that but I don't know if it applies to all jobs or not.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #1013
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Started my new Job today!
Old 04-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #1014
Nufy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I work a fully remote job at Stantec. You could try that but I don't know if it applies to all jobs or not.
I heard a rumor that Stantec was going fully remote in AB with the only office being the big middle finger in Edmonton...
Old 04-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #1015
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Broke a solid contract job to start a new contract job that was better aligned with interests and skill set. Hope the extra stress is worth it. At least getting paid commensurate w experience now instead of someone 15yrs my junior.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: