Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2022, 02:23 PM   #1001
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Don’t give notice till you have a full unconditional offer signed sealed and delivered.
Absolutely.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #1002
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Starting new job next Monday!
Old 03-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #1003
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

why does it take so long sometimes for the HR dept. to move forward on contracts, when the interview process and negotiations are all done.. a week ago. sigh... Makes it hard to keep focus at present place when you know you're about to give notice.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #1004
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Anyone have advice on “un”accepting an offer?

I got an accepted a job offer, now I have another job offer, and I’m definitely considering on taking the new one. I haven’t started the first one yet.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:18 PM   #1005
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Anyone have advice on “un”accepting an offer?

I got an accepted a job offer, now I have another job offer, and I’m definitely considering on taking the new one. I haven’t started the first one yet.
You will likely burn a bridge at the company for a long time. Depending on industry it could affect your reputation. But if the pros out weigh then cons you don’t really owe them anything.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 10:46 PM   #1006
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You will likely burn a bridge at the company for a long time. Depending on industry it could affect your reputation. But if the pros out weigh then cons you don’t really owe them anything.
Obviously I don’t want to burn a bridge, but understand that that could happen.

This job just happened to be through a recruiter too, who would obviously be out her commission if I don’t take the role, though I expect she would still get a commission if she brings them someone else for the role.

Personally, I just find this decision tough. I haven’t physically been inside either place where I have an offer.

How do I decide on what certainly is a life changing decision based on incomplete information? In my mind, I wanted this second position if I had a choice, before I got either offer. However, I can’t turn down the first offer, not knowing if a second offer is going to come at all, but now it has.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:43 AM   #1007
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Obviously I don’t want to burn a bridge, but understand that that could happen.

This job just happened to be through a recruiter too, who would obviously be out her commission if I don’t take the role, though I expect she would still get a commission if she brings them someone else for the role.

Personally, I just find this decision tough. I haven’t physically been inside either place where I have an offer.

How do I decide on what certainly is a life changing decision based on incomplete information? In my mind, I wanted this second position if I had a choice, before I got either offer. However, I can’t turn down the first offer, not knowing if a second offer is going to come at all, but now it has.
My experience is that honesty is always the best policy. Just last year I gave 2 weeks notice to go to a better job. I told them straight up it's a better position with more money and there isn't an equivalent position here for me and it's all good, it's not you, it's me.

They were livid and being petty and gave me the option of hopping on a shovel, or leaving. I just left and assumed the bridge was burned but they just called me asking if I was interested in coming back for a better position. I'm not, but at least I know I left with class and integrity, even if it wasn't reciprocated.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 03:05 PM   #1008
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Agree with the above advice. The other comment I would add is that always look after yourself. Do what is best for you but do it with tact and honesty.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #1009
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody lie like a mofo on their resume? I haven't had to look for a job in almost 20 years, but I think if I did now I'd just lie to give the monkeys whatever they want. I'm not a liar by nature, but in this dog-eat-dog world, I don't think I'd lose sleep completely making stuff up to get a job. What's the worst that could happen? They don't hire me? They fire me later? Okay, I can live with that.

I'd love to go back in time to the year 2000 when I was looking for a job fresh out of university and having a hell of a time losing out to hot chicks for a good six months before landing a good job. I should have just lied. Nobody checked my transcripts or anything. Wish I had made myself almost super human on the resume instead of being honest like an idiot.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #1010
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the current market is very competitive. If you've been in an industry for even 10 years, think of all the new grads in just those 10 years. There's very keen and smart people in every graduate group.

Companies are also preferring in a lot of positions new and entry level employees or with just a couple years experience. That makes it challenging for someone with 10 plus years experience.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #1011
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Asking for a friend - any high quality companies you know of that offer the choice of working completely remote? I haven't seen or heard of any of the local oil & gas shops offering this up as a permanent choice. Doesn't have to be oil & gas; can be any industry.

Similar to the above - any recommendations for local recruiting firms that are good to deal with?

Thanks in advance
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #1012
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Asking for a friend - any high quality companies you know of that offer the choice of working completely remote? I haven't seen or heard of any of the local oil & gas shops offering this up as a permanent choice. Doesn't have to be oil & gas; can be any industry.

Similar to the above - any recommendations for local recruiting firms that are good to deal with?

Thanks in advance

I work a fully remote job at Stantec. You could try that but I don't know if it applies to all jobs or not.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #1013
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Started my new Job today!
Old 04-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #1014
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I work a fully remote job at Stantec. You could try that but I don't know if it applies to all jobs or not.
I heard a rumor that Stantec was going fully remote in AB with the only office being the big middle finger in Edmonton...
Old 04-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #1015
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Broke a solid contract job to start a new contract job that was better aligned with interests and skill set. Hope the extra stress is worth it. At least getting paid commensurate w experience now instead of someone 15yrs my junior.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #1016
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quick question, generally speaking.

If someone is clearly way overqualified for a role, is not considering their candidacy a reflection of insecurity on the hiring side, or a totally reasonable thing to do for everyone?

We have a role, pretty basic but experience required, and I have some candidates I can't believe would even consider it. Like, they would be never, ever, ever use even a 1/10th of their skills and I see no way they would thrive, let alone be engaged or satisfied.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #1017
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

If someone is clearly way overqualified for a role, is not considering their candidacy a reflection of insecurity on the hiring side, or a totally reasonable thing to do for everyone?

We have a role, pretty basic but experience required, and I have some candidates I can't believe would even consider it. Like, they would be never, ever, ever use even a 1/10th of their skills and I see no way they would thrive, let alone be engaged or satisfied.
If you hire someone who is over qualified for your position it’s likely they will continue to look for something else. There’s risks on the hiring side to get someone like that. No reflection at all IMO.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:29 AM   #1018
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Stantec went to a 60/30/10 coming out of fully remote during COVID. 60% FT in office, 30% office / remote and 10% fully remote. Of course it depends on the business center and group you belong to. Calgary has closed or leased out most of it's offices at this point with the 25th Street one being the main Calgary location but even it is pretty empty depending on the floor you are on. The 5th floor is less than 10% occupied.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #1019
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm happily working as a contractor right now. I'm working with a smaller company based out of Minnesota. I have been doing this for about 4 months now and don't see a need to move on from this situation.

I do, however, have a recruiter contacting me almost monthly for jobs at a much bigger firm based here in Calgary. They have a great reputation, but I believe won't be able to match my salary right now. I would like to somehow keep them in my back pocket in case things change in my current situation.

Any advice on how to approach this?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #1020
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

Reasonable, but also depends. Some people will always be looking even after they accept or they're looking and just casting a wide net including stuff they don't truly want. If you're not OK with that, assume that skipping them won't be a big deal. They're qualified so they'll find something they want anyways.

However, there are some valid reasons why some people do consider major downgrades like this. Sometimes, it's worth calling them up to ask why they're taking such a major downgrade. You could be missing out on amazing candidates by not doing that type of quick due diligence on them.

For instance, some people due to change in circumstances, might want something they can easily clock in and out with way less hours and way less stress for family reasons. They literally woke up one morning and realized they hated every aspect of using their career as their identity and thus are focusing on dollars per hour and vacation vs max compensation. Others have been totally burnt out at their roles and need a few years of a job they can cruise through and low stress to recuperate at.

Lately, depending on industry, I know that some people will want to jump into lower roles to infiltrate an industry that typically within industry and does not like hiring from other industries for cultural and other reasons (ie: O&G, tech etc.). For the last part, I've literally heard of people go from Senior management level roles in O&G to analyst level roles in Tech and vice versa just to get their foot in the door in that industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I'm happily working as a contractor right now. I'm working with a smaller company based out of Minnesota. I have been doing this for about 4 months now and don't see a need to move on from this situation.

I do, however, have a recruiter contacting me almost monthly for jobs at a much bigger firm based here in Calgary. They have a great reputation, but I believe won't be able to match my salary right now. I would like to somehow keep them in my back pocket in case things change in my current situation.

Any advice on how to approach this?
Honesty and a little bit of simple but not complex HR lingo. Give the recruiter hope, but not false promises. Keep it concise if possible, they're likely super busy. If they don't keep you on speed dial, that would have been their decision either way, so no big loss.

Recruiters deal with the same pools and compete with each other. Don't get worried about a single recruiter disliking you. My wife has been approached independently by 2+ recruiters for the same roles on multiple occasions.

Perhaps tell the recruiter that you're 4 months into your current role and hoping not to leave a bad impression. However, you'd be open to being contacted for roles that might be a better fit once you hit your 12 or 18 month job anniversary.

You'd be surprised how often certain roles constantly go through multiple short term fills for 3-12 months or are just left open as it's sometimes hard to find qualified candidates. My wife said no to one like that where she was overqualified. 6 months later and the role is still open because they can't find anyone.

I've heard of some scenarios where in exchange, the recruiter asks if the candidate can do a few first or second round interviews and then politely decline to go further. I've heard of rare scenarios where a bigger role than the advertised one was created and then aggressive attempts to poach the candidate were made. There's been more and more aggressive sell jobs stories going on right now than I've heard in the last 5+ years. Things are a little bizarre right now.

In this current job market, the odds of you being black balled or truly burning bridges is ultra low. Many roles are going through hundreds of candidates and still not finding a good one. You'll likely be forgotten as long as you're cordial and up front so that they don't waste too much time on you if they could court other options and try to circle back as a plan C sort of thing.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
_Q_