Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 07:24 AM   #1821
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
It was a crappy job, but I’ll say this…that was the best shape I’ve ever been in.
It helped inspire me to make sure I didn't have a labour based job again. It was hard work, but as you say made you stronger.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:19 AM   #1822
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard labor jobs are a great way for young people to a) make great money and b) motivate them to get an easier job.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 08:38 AM   #1823
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
what discussion? You're policing the right of a woman to do what she wants with her body.
There are many reasons why someone would choose to do onlyfans but you're generalizing that they're ruining their lives and only bad can come from it.

I'm not superior anything, just disagree with the angle you're coming at it from, especially concerning pasts statements of yours regarding what you believe in.
Eh, I see where he's coming at it from. I remember reading a story online about a woman warning against it -- basically when she was 19 or 20 or whatever she'd made some adult videos for like $2k or something, which was awesome at the time, but now that she had moved past that and had a husband / family / professional career it was a huge regret and she would pay 10x that if it would remove them from the internet forever.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:06 AM   #1824
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
what discussion? You're policing the right of a woman to do what she wants with her body.
There are many reasons why someone would choose to do onlyfans but you're generalizing that they're ruining their lives and only bad can come from it.

I'm not superior anything, just disagree with the angle you're coming at it from, especially concerning pasts statements of yours regarding what you believe in.
There's a huge gap between "this is acceptable" and "this is a good idea". There's a million dumb-#### things people can do that I fully support their right to do. You seem to be the one with the inability to separate these concepts, don't project that onto me.

Imagine this scenario: Your 18 year old daughter tells you she's making $180/month selling nudes of herself to a few dozen men online. What's the advice you give her?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:22 AM   #1825
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
There's a huge gap between "this is acceptable" and "this is a good idea". There's a million dumb-#### things people can do that I fully support their right to do. You seem to be the one with the inability to separate these concepts, don't project that onto me.

Imagine this scenario: Your 18 year old daughter tells you she's making $180/month selling nudes of herself to a few dozen men online. What's the advice you give her?
How dare you even try to mansplain to your daughter. Gross.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #1826
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post

Well, at age 18 she is an adult. Hopefully during years 0-18 you taught her to value herself and how to be a complete human. Her choices are hers after that.

If she asked for advice, I would give it - that selling her body online for $180 is beneath her.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:42 AM   #1827
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you even validate that “average of $180 / month selling nudes”. That sounds made up. It sounds like it’s probably including all of the non-adult and inactive ones. This is why I hate using contextless “averages”. It can be so misleading without knowing what data points are being included or not.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #1828
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
We already went over the adult trying to manipulate another adult with what they think is a subtle hint thing. It really isn't a thing, it's obvious as ****.
Fair. It just seemed like Sliver is pretty vocal about most things, so I'm surprised there's a topic he's tip toeing around the concept/situation.

But then again, I'm the type who is full of candor and I point things out. If you have a chunk of salad, I'll pull you aside quickly and point it out so the individual can quietly go address it. For this case, I'd probably pull the individual aside and say, "Ain't something that bothers me, but as a friend, I just want to point out that I think this could affect things ranging from career etc. for you." But that's just me. Obviously I wouldn't have the discussion in a way like splashing cold water on the individual. But I wouldn't hesitate trying to figure out the best way to have the conversation in a respectful way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Hard labor jobs are a great way for young people to a) make great money and b) motivate them to get an easier job.
I want my kids to do hard labour and some form of cashier job when they get older. Let them learn to deal with physical and emotional BS to strengthen their ability to survive their career longer term. Sure, it might sound old school. But I'm convinced that as my kids grow up, the best environment growing up will be a combination of old school and new school, not all old school and not all new ideas, new tools and concepts.

Younger generations are losing some skills that are highly valuable (ie: social skills, rule of thumbs) while also way ahead of the older generations with some of their ease of picking up new tools (ie: social media, AI, changing things up etc.).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 10:01 AM   #1829
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Can you even validate that “average of $180 / month selling nudes”. That sounds made up. It sounds like it’s probably including all of the non-adult and inactive ones. This is why I hate using contextless “averages”. It can be so misleading without knowing what data points are being included or not.
It’s based on a report that calculated the number with the following restrictions/considerations:
- it’s based on income from subscriptions (not tips, private interactions, or other income streams) which only accounts for the smallest share of income of the biggest accounts
- it includes both inactive and “active” accounts with no subscribers (no income)
- it includes accounts that don’t offer “nudes” as part of their subscription

So, is it made up? No. Does it tell the whole story? No.

It’s kind of interesting that people are suggesting they wouldn’t want their daughter to do it for $180/month. Based on the same report, the highest monthly subscription is something like $70/month and as low as $5/month. So, every single person on OnlyFans is doing it for $70/month or less, and the only real different is the number of people they’re doing it for. Which means people don’t actually have an issue with their daughters selling images of videos of themselves nude for $180/month, they have an issue with them not selling those things to enough people.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:06 AM   #1830
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It took less than 6 months of stacking lumber to convince me that I needed to get moving on that post secondary education.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:04 PM   #1831
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It took less than 6 months of stacking lumber to convince me that I needed to get moving on that post secondary education.
Yep. Nothing motivated me more to get through my slog of a degree than doing construction jobs to pay for said slog of a degree.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:06 PM   #1832
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
eeeek, took me 8 years of the military and #### jobs combined....guess I'm a slow learner.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:11 PM   #1833
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
eeeek, took me 8 years of the military and #### jobs combined....guess I'm a slow learner.
How is the armed forces pension plan? A guy I went to school with went right into the marines after high school and he retired at 50 or something like that which I thought was interesting.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #1834
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is the armed forces pension plan? A guy I went to school with went right into the marines after high school and he retired at 50 or something like that which I thought was interesting.
I didn't stay long enough to qualify.

I've learnt today I could be eligible for monies due to injuries/conditions relating to my time in.

Quote:
Old 06-05-2023, 12:27 PM   #1835
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Kind of want this question buried a bit, but here goes. I know somebody with bad teeth (not in a 'I need orthodontics' way, but in a 'I haven't been to the dentist before' way).

I think the problem could be one (or more) of a few things:
1. Difficult to afford.
2. Probably wasn't taught about oral hygiene.
3. May be anxious about going to the dentist.

I'm concerned the problem is just going to get worse for this person and limit life opportunities. Early 30s now. Is there a way to offer to help them go to, like, sedation dentistry or something without offending/embarrassing this person to the point where the offer is outweighed by the audacity to butt in where I don't belong? And by offer to help, I mean I'd pay for them to get this taken care of.
There was recently a npr podcast that talked about bad teeth and how it can skew people’s opinions of you and affect things like earning potential.
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/08/11619...conomic-effect
Old 06-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #1836
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do chiropractors enjoy bubble wrap like the average person?
Or does it feel too much like work to be enjoyable for them?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 01:06 PM   #1837
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I didn't stay long enough to qualify.

I've learnt today I could be eligible for monies due to injuries/conditions relating to my time in.
There are probably a lot of shortcomings, but one area that Veterans Affairs seems to deal with pretty well is for injuries and conditions. I'm purely speaking about this anecdotally, but if you have issues related to your service, they seem to pay for all kinds of aids and assistance for you.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #1838
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
There are probably a lot of shortcomings, but one area that Veterans Affairs seems to deal with pretty well is for injuries and conditions. I'm purely speaking about this anecdotally, but if you have issues related to your service, they seem to pay for all kinds of aids and assistance for you.
Yeah, I met with a Vet and he acts as a resource for guys like me.

He listed of some of the monies available for some of the conditions/injuries I sustained.

He said the machine moved slowly, but that for the most part VAC was focused on finding as much compensation as possible for individuals.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 05:52 PM   #1839
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I need a crane and operator just to get me out of them these days.
Perhaps some sort of wood-based ejection capabilities? Like a reverse La-Z-Boy ottoman where you could pull the lever and instead the seat would spring up to help you up?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:10 PM   #1840
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Perhaps some sort of wood-based ejection capabilities? Like a reverse La-Z-Boy ottoman where you could pull the lever and instead the seat would spring up to help you up?
An assisted rise seat, that sounds like something I should have built into my pants so I always have access to it. Baggie shorts are making a comeback, right?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote