Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2023, 11:14 AM   #1781
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Thanks Wormius, appreciate your perspective.

I think that would work on you or me, but this person is particularly sensitive to the point where I really have to be mindful of things. Think, like, wounded animal.

I was hoping for some magical advice or approach I hadn't thought of, but I'm not seeing anything that will really work in this case. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to wait for things to get worse and then intervene when they're not left with the option of continuing to ignore.

Thanks for considering this with me, guys. Appreciate the insights.

What are you worried the consequences of broaching the topic would be?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:23 AM   #1782
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you sound like a typical "nice guy"

"look at those girls giving it away for fast food money when they could get with a nice guy like me who would treat them right"

who cares? we don't know each persons motivation for doing only fans.
maybe it's not just for the money for some of them.
besides, any amount of money is better than no money if you really need it.
Being an e-girl is actually pretty dangerous. All of the successful ones hate their jobs, hate their fans, are constantly dealing with online weirdos trying to worm their way into their lives, have exit plans, and online nudes exist forever, which can be extremely damaging to their sense of privacy, their ability to find a partner, humiliating for their kids, etc.

That's a lot to risk for cheeseburger money.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:26 AM   #1783
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Wormius, appreciate your perspective.

I think that would work on you or me, but this person is particularly sensitive to the point where I really have to be mindful of things. Think, like, wounded animal.

I was hoping for some magical advice or approach I hadn't thought of, but I'm not seeing anything that will really work in this case. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to wait for things to get worse and then intervene when they're not left with the option of continuing to ignore.

Thanks for considering this with me, guys. Appreciate the insights.
Pay someone to knock out his teeth....... then he can go in and get new ones none the wiser. Pay for his dental repairs as a courtesy.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #1784
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What are you worried the consequences of broaching the topic would be?
Inserting myself into something that really is none of my business. Imposing my standards onto somebody else. Also, where I think this person could use my funds for dental work, what if they're, like, screw the dental stuff...if you're offering me money I could use a new car. Well, I don't want to buy them a car. I think the dental thing is more pressing. I think the dental thing could have a really negative and irreparable impact on their life, but we are different people with different values. So now I've made this offer, but it's contingent upon using these resources for how I want them used, which takes away some autonomy from them in a way.

More than all that, I think it would hurt them if they said no. If they were, like, 'OMG I stress about this non-stop and you're throwing me a lifeline to fix something huge that I thought I was totally screwed on and it causes me some much embarrassment and anxiety,' then I would feel really good. If they looked me dead in the eye and were like, 'WTF is wrong with my teeth and why are you looking at them, you freak,' then I would have really hurt a relationship and a person I value.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:21 PM   #1785
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
My dad almost bought a book store in Pentiction way back in the day (not sure if it was this one). When we were little kids, like had a deal ready to go and everything but ended up deciding not to go through with it last minute. Sometimes I wonder how different my life would've been, it's weird how narrow the margins are on your whole life experience.
Probably wasn’t that one. It’s been in the family for a lonnnng time.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:27 PM   #1786
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Inserting myself into something that really is none of my business. Imposing my standards onto somebody else. Also, where I think this person could use my funds for dental work, what if they're, like, screw the dental stuff...if you're offering me money I could use a new car. Well, I don't want to buy them a car. I think the dental thing is more pressing. I think the dental thing could have a really negative and irreparable impact on their life, but we are different people with different values. So now I've made this offer, but it's contingent upon using these resources for how I want them used, which takes away some autonomy from them in a way.

More than all that, I think it would hurt them if they said no. If they were, like, 'OMG I stress about this non-stop and you're throwing me a lifeline to fix something huge that I thought I was totally screwed on and it causes me some much embarrassment and anxiety,' then I would feel really good. If they looked me dead in the eye and were like, 'WTF is wrong with my teeth and why are you looking at them, you freak,' then I would have really hurt a relationship and a person I value.

Do you think he is aware? Does he avoid showing his teeth when photos are taken, or is it like big toothy smiles?
Old 06-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #1787
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Inserting myself into something that really is none of my business.
This. This is the entire summation of every post you've made on this subject and the only answer you need on the subject, which you knew before you asked.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:55 PM   #1788
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This. This is the entire summation of every post you've made on this subject and the only answer you need on the subject, which you knew before you asked.
Mmm-hmm. Nah, I think think I'll continue to look for ways to help people, but you do you.

Last edited by Sliver; 06-02-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:56 PM   #1789
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Do you think he is aware? Does he avoid showing his teeth when photos are taken, or is it like big toothy smiles?
I may be seeing a self-consciousness grow over the past several years as things have gotten worse, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:03 PM   #1790
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Being an e-girl is actually pretty dangerous. All of the successful ones hate their jobs, hate their fans, are constantly dealing with online weirdos trying to worm their way into their lives, have exit plans, and online nudes exist forever, which can be extremely damaging to their sense of privacy, their ability to find a partner, humiliating for their kids, etc.

That's a lot to risk for cheeseburger money.
better they get married young, push out a few kids, follow gods law, hate gays, and turn the other cheek when their youth pastor husband rapes kids.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #1791
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Mmm-hmm. Nah, I think think I'll continue to look for ways to help people, but you do you.
If someone offered to pay to improve my teeth I'd be flattered and quite thankfully accept the kind gesture.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 01:30 PM   #1792
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You need to sell a lot, it's going to cost more than that for a decent microscope and camera.
With all the AI stuff now why even bother taking pictures and investing in equipment?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #1793
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
better they get married young, push out a few kids, follow gods law, hate gays, and turn the other cheek when their youth pastor husband rapes kids.

I think there's some middle ground here that you're missing.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:59 PM   #1794
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bunch of Anti-Dentites in here!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 03:25 PM   #1795
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I think there's some middle ground here that you're missing.
There is a lot you're missing on this topic, too, so I went right to the hysterics that a right winger usually starts at.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #1796
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I may be seeing a self-consciousness grow over the past several years as things have gotten worse, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Have minty gum and mints to share on a more regular basis? (It's for me, I'm only offering to be polite)

or...

My kid/spouse is telling me to whiten my teeth for a photoshoot. There's extras in this box (make sure you buy a box with more than one). Wanna do one with me (together) while we shoot the ####? I don't want to be the only one sounding like a moron with this thing on my teeth.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:56 PM   #1797
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Icon48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Have minty gum and mints to share on a more regular basis? (It's for me, I'm only offering to be polite)

or...

My kid/spouse is telling me to whiten my teeth for a photoshoot. There's extras in this box (make sure you buy a box with more than one). Wanna do one with me (together) while we shoot the ####? I don't want to be the only one sounding like a moron with this thing on my teeth.
We already went over the adult trying to manipulate another adult with what they think is a subtle hint thing. It really isn't a thing, it's obvious as ****.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:55 PM   #1798
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Sliver I see two options here:

Option 1: You need to rig a contest of some sort in which the person you want to help wins a bunch of free dental care.

Be elaborate and public as possible.

Option 2: Call a dentist and speak with them? Perhaps they could provide some insight of how to have the conversation?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:18 PM   #1799
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I guess then I would only say if you notice an obvious moment of self-consciousness on their part, that would be the best opportunity to step in and raise your concerns about their health or opportunities for advancement.

My mom had a friend that got veneers to fix her lifelong smokers’ teeth and she was super proud of them. It was a huge difference in how she presented herself and there was a new confidence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 06:02 PM   #1800
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
There is a lot you're missing on this topic, too, so I went right to the hysterics that a right winger usually starts at.
Would you like to contribute to the discussion? Or are you limited to talking down to me while making vague assertions about your superior knowledge? I'd love to hear more about how this is a good and healthy for young women.