Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #12761
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Sabres and Eichel to have a meeting this week after a 12 week rest and recovery after his surgery.
Sabres and Eichel have discussed what their options are if there is still a disagreement about next steps.
Likely outcome is a trade.
Will be interesting too see how Eichel's value plays out over the summer. He pushed for the surgery and wants a trade. I wonder how teams will even really evaluate the potential effect on his play. Would be disastrous to give up big assets and find out his injury has severely affected his play.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 11:17 PM   #12762
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wonder about Barrett Hayton in AZ... could be an interesting guy to target. That organization has all kinds of problems with developing centres.
I've always liked Hayton-I think Sutter would be good for him. He looks like he's been neutered in PHX. Big, two-way playmaker with a good shot.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:27 PM   #12763
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've always liked Hayton-I think Sutter would be good for him. He looks like he's been neutered in PHX. Big, two-way playmaker with a good shot.
Why look at this guy, he hasn't scored or provided checking at any level he has played. He didn't even score in the minors.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:29 PM   #12764
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
key points from Friedman's 31 thoughts:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...-blue-jackets/

t
Sabres and Eichel to have a meeting this week after a 12 week rest and recovery after his surgery.
Sabres and Eichel have discussed what their options are if there is still a disagreement about next steps.
Likely outcome is a trade.
When did he have his surgery? I have read he wants the surgery never performed on a hockey player before and that the Sabres said no. I was just surprised to hear he had surgery.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:15 AM   #12765
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Why look at this guy, he hasn't scored or provided checking at any level he has played. He didn't even score in the minors.
He was pretty terrific in the OHL and at the WJC. Former top-5 pick in the NHL. Why not look at him?

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 04:54 AM   #12766
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1399547392656019458
Old 06-01-2021, 06:37 AM   #12767
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This is not correct, regardless if you go by salary paid or cap hit.
A number of TB players are on both lists, plus Stone and Rantanen. Wheleer is on the paid list.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 AM   #12768
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it’s pretty close. Stone is 18th on CF in cap hit. In Salary, only Aho is in there. Price is 20.

But they cut off there for a reason because after Stone then you get Rantanen, Kucherov, Vasilevsky, right ina row, and then, a few more down, Pietrangelo, Aho, Stamkos.

Wheeler is 35th in cap hit, 68th in salary.

Last edited by GioforPM; 06-01-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #12769
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think NHL GM's are very good in general but when it comes to the playoffs there so much randomness that it has to be pretty frustrating for owners and management. It's easily the hardest playoffs to predict of the 4 major sports as regular season success doesn't seem to have much correlation to playoff success. If you have a team like the Leafs that's going to make the playoffs annually I think you probably resist making knee jerk reactions in regards to the roster based off playoff failure. Matthews and Marner are only 23 and 24 so I feel it's a little early in the process to entertain changes of that magnitude.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #12770
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Ducks would be dumb to take a big swing at any big name player, they are not a Jack Eichel away from being a contender or possibly even a playoff team. They need to continue a rebuild through the draft.
The Ducks as a franchise does not believe in rebuilds.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #12771
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
This offseason more than ever would be a great one to attempt to make sweeping changes to the core... for laughs here’s my take.

Give Gio + 2nd if the Kraken select Backlund

Monahan for Tuch + 2nd

Tkachuk + Zary + 1st + Kylington for Eichel

Sign Hyman and Oleksiak to multi year deals

Sign Getzlaf, Stone and Ritchie to 1 year deals

Extend Gaudreau + Bridge Deal Dube, Valimaki and Mackey

Gaudreau - Eichel - Tuch
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Hyman
Lucic - Getzlaf - Dube
Pelletier - Ruzicka - Ritchie
Phillips

Hanifin - Tanev
Oleksiak - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone
Mackey

Markstrom
Backup

So give up 3 assets instead of one??????

What?
Old 06-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #12772
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

If there is one player the leafs are keeping, it’s Hyman.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #12773
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What?
That’s 12 some million in cap Seattle would be taking on and Backlunds contract is less than desirable which was my rationale to adding the 2nd alongside Gio which seems like to much, make it a 5th?? Is that more palatable?? 12 mill in flexibility and two aging vets who haven’t got it done here seems like it could have benefits to this team but I agree optically it seems crazy to give up 3 assets with no immediate pieces in return.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #12774
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No, it’s pretty close. Stone is 18th on CF in cap hit. In Salary, only Aho is in there. Price is 20.

But they cut off there for a reason because after Stone then you get Rantanen, Kucherov, Vasilevsky, right ina row, and then, a few more down, Pietrangelo, Aho, Stamkos.

Wheeler is 35th in cap hit, 68th in salary.
I was looking at a list in hockey reference that says 2020-2021, when its actually 2021-2022. Wheeler's salary is listed at $10M, when its actually that next year.

In any event, salary is not relevant, we should be looking at cap hit.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #12775
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
If there is one player the leafs are keeping, it’s Hyman.
Yeah. He was good despite not showing up on the points chart much. Isn’t he a ufa though? Some team will pay him close to $5M and Toronto will be forced to walk away, I’d think.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #12776
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What?
I agree. To get a bunch of salary off the books would be a win. Gio is probably a fourth dman at this stage of his career, and Backlund’s contract on this team at this moment doesn’t fit into the structure. Ideally you’d like an asset back for him but in the salary cap world who know if there are takers to take on the long contract. To me, a good off-season would be getting supporting cast money off the books. Trading Monahan and Gaudreau for picks and prospects for a full year tank could do wonders for a quick rebuild.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #12777
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Yeah. He was good despite not showing up on the points chart much. Isn’t he a ufa though? Some team will pay him close to $5M and Toronto will be forced to walk away, I’d think.
I don’t expect there to be an appetite from either party to leave. Money won’t be the reason Hyman leaves Toronto. I know it’s said too often, but it’s reality in this case.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #12778
Doc Hudson
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Why the rush?

All this trade everything for another terrible lineup doesn't make any sense to me. This year coming will be a great time to really gauge the team going forward, and if the team continues to play inconsistent hockey, then it is a deadline trades of some key pieces (JG, etc.) and commitment to a rebuild. Just swapping for a bunch of garbage for sake of change is not a good strategy.

I look at the lineup above and wonder how it is improvement over the terrible Buffalo team that Eichel was on????? Why would you expect this to work out well?

Oh right, emotional reaction to a terrible year, understood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #12779
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
That’s 12 some million in cap Seattle would be taking on and Backlunds contract is less than desirable which was my rationale to adding the 2nd alongside Gio which seems like to much, make it a 5th?? Is that more palatable?? 12 mill in flexibility and two aging vets who haven’t got it done here seems like it could have benefits to this team but I agree optically it seems crazy to give up 3 assets with no immediate pieces in return.
If you want to get rid of those players’ salaries, you trade them, you don’t pay to give them up.

That plus Gio is still the most productive Dman on the team and you’ll need to replace him, and Backlund still carries the heavy defensive centre assignments, which Lindholm is not going to take if he’s centring Gaudreau and Tkachuk, leaves you hanging. As for not getting it done, Backlund is the 48th highest paid centre in the league based on cap hit. He’s 41st in points, plus he’s a 2 way guy. Seems fair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #12780
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If you want to get rid of those players’ salaries, you trade them, you don’t pay to give them up.

That plus Gio is still the most productive Dman on the team and you’ll need to replace him, and Backlund still carries the heavy defensive centre assignments, which Lindholm is not going to take if he’s centring Gaudreau and Tkachuk, leaves you hanging. As for not getting it done, Backlund is the 48th highest paid centre in the league based on cap hit. He’s 41st in points, plus he’s a 2 way guy. Seems fair.
You know what I mean by getting it done; this leadership group just hasn’t and Backlunds late season surges are nice but are much nicer when we manage to get into the playoffs. Any trade of Backlund would involve us taking back a bad contract in return which defeats the purpose I was proposing as I think the 12 mill in flexibility is an advantage for this team to reset the core. Gio is replaced via the free agency pool and graduation of some of our youth; Oleksiak would be ideal, 6’7 LHD who plays with snarl and can manage 2nd pairing duties. Backlund is replaced by Getzlaf in my proposal as well and really that’s what I’m getting at, freeing up that much space would allow for replacements via the UFA pool which I get is risky given Tree’s track record there but there are some good options this year.
Closed Thread