Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #941
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Yep that was the night lol! I lived on 4k that year but spent all my time on 4R with you cats.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #942
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
For all the Calgary pilots /aviation enthusiasts.

-The powder blue & white control tower at YYC.
-The Lancaster pedestaled at the SW corner of the field adjacent to McKnight Blvd. Fortunately it has been dutifully put under cover at the museum.
And to add to that, remember the mural that was located in the old airport? It had old-timey cowboys looking upon the modern city. Probably terrible art, but I remember that vividly.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #943
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Murals: The technicolour cows on the side of the ALCB store on 17th Ave.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #944
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The Crazy Horse!!!!
Oh yeah, I worked with the head bartender at the time, it was awesome.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #945
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in Calgary Wednesday and drove down 17th Ave.

I had forgotten that the Lion's Den didn't survive the flood.

Sad, That was a great, great place to go for food and beer before games. The owner was a real character and seemed to be a great guy. I saw him give away lots of meals over the years to what appeared to be people down on their luck.

Calgary lost a gem.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #946
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The high diving board at the Village Square Leisure Center.

Many an hour was spent trying to soak the air vents above the dive tank with a cannon ball.

Was too bad when they made it more kid friendly and removed all the fun teenaged stuff, now the teens in the area have one less place to have fun at.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #947
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I was in Calgary Wednesday and drove down 17th Ave.

I had forgotten that the Lion's Den didn't survive the flood.

Sad, That was a great, great place to go for food and beer before games. The owner was a real character and seemed to be a great guy. I saw him give away lots of meals over the years to what appeared to be people down on their luck.

Calgary lost a gem.
I went there twice and both times he told homophobic and wife beating jokes.
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #948
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Night Gallery with $2.00 doubles, and pinball before 10.

Also, that brief period when the Taz had $0.25 highballs before 9:00 on Thursdays before the realized the insanity. We once showed up with about 50 of us from rez at 7:45 before they opened. They finally let us in and we promptly filled every table we could get with drinks. So much drunkening.
The Warehouse had the 2 for 1 highball thing going on, but like the TAZ, you had to consume 75-100 highballs to get any kind of buzz on. Giving a breathalizer sample after a night of drinking at those places was comical and gave people a false sense of boozing ability. Gee I had 35 rum and cokes over 3 hours and I only blew .03.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #949
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Just thought I'd mention it in case people here have fond memories, but Kartworld is currently being demolished today. It's been closed for a year or two now. I walk by it every day.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #950
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Just thought I'd mention it in case people here have fond memories, but Kartworld is currently being demolished today. It's been closed for a year or two now. I walk by it every day.
Holy crap! That place was my first job when I was 16 back in the 90s. I can't say I'll miss it though, that was such a garbage job.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #951
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that the one on McLeod?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #952
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I posted this in the skiing and snowboarding thread but thought I'd post it here too since it's relevant.

"Unless you know where to look, there’s little evidence of a once-bustling ski industry outside the Big Three at Banff. Where families clad in one-piece nylon suits once shushed down runs at Wintergreen, Turner Valley and Pigeon Mountain, hikers now benefit from the grassy slopes left in their wake. Most of the ski lifts, left abandoned and rusting for years, have been sold off and removed."

"Skiing got its start in Alberta about 1911 but it really took off in the 1940s and ’50s after the war years. Ski hills sprouted up in prairie gullies and ravines across the province with volunteers clearing brush and raising funds. The facilities were basic, but they introduced an entire generation to the sport. Over time, as money and snow disappeared, so did many of the little operations. Skiers moved on to bigger elevations at Banff and Kananaskis but for some longtime Calgarians, fond memories remain of the hills where many of us learned to ski."

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...lost-ski-hills
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #953
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Is that the one on McLeod?
Yeah, just off Macleod, by the train tracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #954
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I posted this in the skiing and snowboarding thread but thought I'd post it here too since it's relevant.

"Unless you know where to look, there’s little evidence of a once-bustling ski industry outside the Big Three at Banff. Where families clad in one-piece nylon suits once shushed down runs at Wintergreen, Turner Valley and Pigeon Mountain, hikers now benefit from the grassy slopes left in their wake. Most of the ski lifts, left abandoned and rusting for years, have been sold off and removed."

"Skiing got its start in Alberta about 1911 but it really took off in the 1940s and ’50s after the war years. Ski hills sprouted up in prairie gullies and ravines across the province with volunteers clearing brush and raising funds. The facilities were basic, but they introduced an entire generation to the sport. Over time, as money and snow disappeared, so did many of the little operations. Skiers moved on to bigger elevations at Banff and Kananaskis but for some longtime Calgarians, fond memories remain of the hills where many of us learned to ski."

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...lost-ski-hills
I loved Wintergreen, it was a great alternative to Paskapoo at the time.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #955
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have always been a huge fan of karting and racing and have long been disappointed with the options available for kids and families. Speeders is pretty decent but is adult only. Kartworld was such a dump. The karts at Shakers are awful. The only good place in Calgary was Kart Gardens (I think that is what it was called) which was just north of the airport where Airport Trail and Barlow meet. That place was awesome and I spent a lot of my time there as a kid. I'm always tempted to find a warehouse somewhere and open up an indoor facility for all ages but I have a feeling it is a tough business otherwise it would have already been done. Plus places like Ricky Bobbies (Balzac) closed not long after opening.

Electric karts have come along way in recent years and that could possibly make the operating side of the business much more attractive. It will always be a dream of mine.

I haven't been to the new Strathmore track yet but I'll probably go for one of their try a kart days this summer. Might let my kid try a kart.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 02-11-2016 at 07:52 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #956
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

what was the name of the sports store years ago on Macleod and Heritage near the Southern Music thats there now, they had the same store in the basement of the calgary tower back when they had movie theatres there. i can picture it but cant recall the name?
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #957
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think that it was call the "Sports Octagon", but the memory is not as good as it once was.
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #958
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh man, the Highlander...had a few...nights in that bar. What was it called? I seam to have blocked it out.
THE YARD
rock hard at the yard
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #959
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffeyb View Post
I think that it was call the "Sports Octagon", but the memory is not as good as it once was.
nope that isnt it. the sign if i recall was white and green? perhaps i am wrong but i think it was
Old 02-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #960
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i remember a few of us driving down 17th by club 17. a blonde runs across the street, i yell nice as*, she turns around and it is a dude with a blonde curly lid... good times
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time