Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #21
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Keep him, but build around him. It's not like he is making $10 mill a year. Chicago was able to win multiple Cups with Patty Kane as their best player because they put a great team around him with multiple scoring threats.

Trading a good players for multiple okay players didn't work out when we traded Phaneuf to the Leafs.
There is a big difference between Kane and Gaudreau.

Kane is at his very best when the games are more meaningful.

He showed that right from the get go.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #22
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I would wager huge that Gaudreau is not traded during the season.

Just not how BT operates and truthfully you will be able to make the best deal during the off season if you decide to trade him at all.

This season was washed out the second Lucic was acquired. It hand cuffed the club as far as cap purposes go and with a player that simply could not help them beyond laying the odd hit and punching wrong doers in the face...at times with a suspension attached.

So much work to do with this roster, yet again, that its a sad state of affairs. I get that sentiment is rising as to looking at coaching etc, but the bottom line is that BT has cobbled together the coaches, the personnel, and put himself/the team in a financial bind.

Team is unwatchable right now and for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it simply is not good enough to keep ones attention.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Keep him, but build around him. It's not like he is making $10 mill a year. Chicago was able to win multiple Cups with Patty Kane as their best player because they put a great team around him with multiple scoring threats.

Trading a good players for multiple okay players didn't work out when we traded Phaneuf to the Leafs.

Patrick Kane has the strength to battle through physical play and be an impact player in the playoffs. Gaudreau doesn't have that ability
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #24
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Treliving painted himself into a corner with the lack of cap space. Has to happen in the summer for the cap to be there, at which point he's being sold low coming off the back of a bad season. I expect it to happen, and I expect the return will not be what many here would like.

Probably doesn't help that the market for him will be limited to the northeastern teams.
Oh joy, another panic trade then. Can't wait for more plugs like Hagman, Mayers, White, and Stajan.

Why do some fans always think the cup winning formula involves trading the team's best player? Does this ever work?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Oh joy, another panic trade then. Can't wait for more plugs like Hagman, Mayers, White, and Stajan.

Why do some fans always think the cup winning formula involves trading the team's best player? Does this ever work?
No one is talking about trading Tkachuk. Or even Gio.

Seriously, those who are advocating trading Gaudreau clearly do not think he's Calgary's best player. And there's an argument that, while he may be the best, or at least, most skilled, offensive player, his style means he's never going to be a guy that leads the team to success.

I'm personally way up in the air over it, but I'd tend to say you'd never trade him for a package like you mentioned with Phaneuf (though that did 't work out the other way either, and in the long run Stajan contributed as much as Phaneuf would have IMO). I think Gaudreau would be traded for a high end piece and/or cap space, especially since he's on the back half of a contract and will be looking for some dough soon. The way his last negotiation went has to be in the back of Treliving's mind.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #26
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The time to trade Johnny was before he hit the skids.

At this stage, you need to hope he comes out of it or you are getting cents on the dollar.
This is such hyperbole; he's essentially a ppg through his career.
A 23 game "rough patch" (where he still has 18 points) isn't going to tank his value to "cents on the dollar".
Give me a break.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of sad in middle of November this thread exists. Johnny Gaudreau has been the sole reason to watch this team play for the last six seasons. He's made Monahan (a 2nd line center) at times actually look like a bonafide 1st line center and has been the catalyst for any success this team has had since he joined the team. He was a 4th round gift from the hockey gods and after a few months of struggling and the fanbase is saying stuff like you can't win with him (despite the fact they only win when he plays well) and can't get rid of him fast enough. It's just sad and people wonder why top players would rather play in the US than Canada and this is exhibit A.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #28
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep, changing the core of a team is an off season decision.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #29
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Can we stop referring this rough patch as a 23 game one? They have been on a steady decline since February last season. just after the break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #30
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He’s playing like he’s having girl problems. He’ll come out of it, people need to chill out
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #31
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
This is such hyperbole; he's essentially a ppg through his career.
A 23 game "rough patch" (where he still has 18 points) isn't going to tank his value to "cents on the dollar".
Give me a break.
Teams would question why a PPG player is being moved in the middle of the season.

His points aren't terrible, but he's basically a one dimensional player who's current dimension is non elite.

He's on a 64 point pace. That's not enough for a soft player to be considered elite.

BTW, when I say cents on the dollar, I don't mean 25 cents. More like 75 cents.

But in my view, you hold him to re-coop some of that trade value and, perhaps, move him at the end of the year,
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #32
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me this is an off-season move and likely this off-season if the year keeps going the way it is. The team has their franchise player in Tkachuk who could elevate to the first line but the return would have to improve the center ice position. The only way I do it in season is if a team offers a ridiculous overpay.

If this season continues to go off the rails I could see a Philly summer of 2011 thing happening by moving both Gaudreau and Monahan.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #33
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Could Tre be throwing Johnny's name out there to see what the market is like right now? Create a bidding war and someone overpays big time? The only way it makes sense is someone overpaying big time.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #34
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I would wager huge that Gaudreau is not traded during the season.

Just not how BT operates and truthfully you will be able to make the best deal during the off season if you decide to trade him at all.

This season was washed out the second Lucic was acquired. It hand cuffed the club as far as cap purposes go and with a player that simply could not help them beyond laying the odd hit and punching wrong doers in the face...at times with a suspension attached.

So much work to do with this roster, yet again, that its a sad state of affairs. I get that sentiment is rising as to looking at coaching etc, but the bottom line is that BT has cobbled together the coaches, the personnel, and put himself/the team in a financial bind.

Team is unwatchable right now and for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it simply is not good enough to keep ones attention.
"The season was washed out the second Lucic was acquired" is the stupidest thing I 've read on here in a while. Lucic wasn't minus 5 last game! Most of Lucic's passes are tape to tape unlike Johnny's blind passes and coughing it up because he might get hit.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rooster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #35
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
Can we stop referring this rough patch as a 23 game one? They have been on a steady decline since February last season. just after the break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean the stretch where he put up 17 points in 18 games?
Feb-March stats
I get that he had a rough playoff round, but so did the rest of the team; he was fine to finish the season.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #36
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For me it's hard to compute his value unless you have a good idea as to how interested he is in leaving when he becomes a FA. Such a big part of the equation is whether or not he wants to leave Calgary. A guy who is already sold on going to the East Coast (as many have been led to believe) is a guy that is going to be easier to extend once he's traded and will maximize his value. As others have alluded to, a career PPG guy in the prime age of his career who is willing to extend long-term is worth a LOT.

I'd move him, and soon. It pains me to say it because he is one of my favorite players in the league, but this team is not winning in the next couple of years with the current makeup. Your blue line is extremely young, talented, and set for a few years - I believe they will grow into a special unit. Your forward group is shallow and Gaudreau can help change that.

I think you've got your long-term answers at goalie and defense. It's time to find guys who can put the puck in the net and control possession. Gaudreau, with this cast of characters, just isn't meeting that need.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #37
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post

Don't think it'll be as disastrous as the Phaneuf trade, but in the same ballpark, yes. A couple of middle 6 players, a non-first round pick, and a minor league nobody.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #38
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

All this being said, my gut feel is that Treliving isn't the kind of guy to make a trade like this during the season. Doesn't strike me as a Darryl Sutter type in that regard.

I can however see him moving our 2020 1st or other picks. In that respect he's got a little Darryl in him (but its entirely likely ownership motivates those deals).
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #39
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keep Gaudreau, but trade Monahan
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #40
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the acquiring of Lucic is the reason for the team's problems this year, the Flames have bigger issues than we think. Lucic being the catalyst to the problems is simply untrue and is being said more due to spite and unhappiness with the trade.

The Flames will have a tough time winning any deal involving Gaudreau during the season. I'd prefer Treliving wait until the offseason or draft.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: