Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #121
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The good news is they'll likely recover a late 1st for Hamonic this spring.

You think? Way he has been playing I think he would get a second
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #122
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Johnny Gaudreau: Trade or Keep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The good news is they'll likely recover a late 1st for Hamonic this spring.

Does a few months of a broken-down Hamonic still hold that kind of value? I’m skeptical.

I think he might be worth a 2nd, maybe two 2nds at the very most if his play picks up. Any team but Winnipeg probably sees him as a pure rental, and in that context 1st rounders only typically go for premier players these days.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 11-18-2019 at 02:12 PM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #123
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The obvious reason for the lack of depth is bad UFA signings (which are on Treliving). But a more deep-rooted problem is trading away a wealth of picks to bolsters the depth, rather than drafting and developing it internally. My sense is the latter goes all the way to the top, to ownership. Murray Edwards is not a patient man.
Honestly, blaming Edwards here is a lazy argument meant to deny agency to Treliving for his decisions.

Most of our higher picks were lost to acquire a solid young player (Hamilton, Hamonic) or as part of our desperate search for a goalie (Elliott and Smith). But we also gained 2nd rounders in the Hudler, Baertschi and Russell trades so that ends up a net wash.

Beyond the two goalie deals, the only trade where we gave up a pick of value to bolster depth was the Lazar trade. And that one definitely stunk from day one.

Otherwise, we moved two firsts and four seconds for Hamonic, two seasons of Hamilton, Hanafin and Lindholm. Perhaps the lost picks in 2015 from the Hamilton trade would have been better than Hanafin and Lindholm are now. The Hamonic trade would represent draft picks that would not be contributing to the NHL roster at this point.

Also, you'd have to contemplate the fact that some of the picks Treliving has acquired also look to be major wins (Andersson, Kylington) or have significant potential (Dube, Parsons).

Ultimately Cliff, even if you want to bizarrely blame Murray Edwards for these deals, you're going to have to admit that we are at worst a wash on this front.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #124
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broken down?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #125
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
You think? Way he has been playing I think he would get a second
At the deadline? If the Flames are sellers? I genuinely believe he gets a 1st.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #126
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I really hope JG can have a statement game against COL to shut down this ridiculousness.
Holy ####, I did not notice the next game was against COL

Ahhhhh #### he damn well better, as that looks like another pending tragedy
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #127
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Monahan, Backlund, and Gaudreau are shooting at 4.4%, 5.0%, and 2.4% at ES.

Last 3 season's average ES shooting percentage is 12.8%, 11.6%, and 9.7%,

Like I said earlier, they are bound for some regression here. They aren't a perfect team and they have flaws in their roster, but they are also better than where they are right now.

Credit to Kent Wilson for that one.

Combine that with their travel heavy schedule to start and I think it's way too early to start panicking.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #128
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Makes sense to me

I think about 1% of his slappers and goal-line-near-corner attempts actually go in... and that accounts for about 90% of his shot attempts.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #129
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, Johnny really needs to stop that low percentage short side attempt.

Not using his linemates, and giving away the puck on something that has a stupidly low chance of being successful. It is selfish and counterproductive.

Peters should bench his ass for a few shifts / rest of the period when he does it again.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #130
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ultimately Cliff, even if you want to bizarrely blame Murray Edwards for these deals, you're going to have to admit that we are at worst a wash on this front.
Several insiders have commented the Flames have a hansd-on ownership, and that there has been a perception around the league of 'too many cooks in the kitchen' in Flames executive. I suppose people can interpret that how they like.

I don't think Edwards is telling Peters who to put on the power play. But I don't have any trouble imagining that he has a say in the overall direction of the club, and that he told Treliving in the 2017 off-season "Rebuild's over, Brad. We need playoff success and playoff revenue. Do what you need to get better fast."

If you look at Treliving's overall tenure, yes, the picks traded look close to wash. But he did take over during a full-bore rebuild. The question whether he abandoned it and went into Win Now mode prematurely.

I think he did. Moving a 1st and two 2nds for a #3-4 d-man is a move a team makes when it has emerged as a contender and sees its window closing imminently. It's not the move of a team still dedicated to building through the draft.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #131
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, Johnny really needs to stop that low percentage short side attempt.

Not using his linemates, and giving away the puck on something that has a stupidly low chance of being successful. It is selfish and counterproductive.

Peters should bench his ass for a few shifts / rest of the period when he does it again.
It's not taking that shot that is the problem - usually he has no option from where he is. It's low percentage but still the best option as opposed to a pass into the slot or the point which will get picked off and go the otehr way fast. It's where the shot goes (it should be on net and low, to create a rebound) and the fact he allowed himself to get funneled into the corner like that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #132
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I really hope JG can have a statement game against COL to shut down this ridiculousness.
Just tell him he's playing a team based around New Jersey every night and you'll get vintage gaudreau every time. He always plays his home clubs impressively, whether hes in a funk or not, which just goes to show hes capable of doing it and how much of a between the ears thing this is.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #133
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I think at some time in the future we will look back at this thread and say to ourselves, "What were we thinking?"
"Man, we held on to Gaudreau, didn't really contend and now he's announced he won't talk contract in his final year".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #134
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Trade him for a pro
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #135
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's not taking that shot that is the problem - usually he has no option from where he is. It's low percentage but still the best option as opposed to a pass into the slot or the point which will get picked off and go the otehr way fast. It's where the shot goes (it should be on net and low, to create a rebound) and the fact he allowed himself to get funneled into the corner like that.
I agree. It’s the fact that this situation happens all too frequently.

Coach needs to give him a better plan or bench him to give him time to think of a better plan
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #136
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Very surprising to see an article like this from Haynes.

A sign of internal temperatures changing? You don't often see this kind of article from the local guys out of the blue like this.
So many people talking about it, its come up at sportsnet, the athletic, nhl network

Have to think someone in management at least floated the possibility to some people, even if just to see the reaction of the fanbase
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #137
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would trade him. I think hes destined for Home no matter how he gets there. So move him, get something to build with and go from there.

Because from what I'm seeing on the ice, he is halfway out the door anyways. Hes frustrated more than usual, he gives up on so many plays. And he can't seem to even do the Johnny do it all thing hes been doing for two year now.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #138
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one out there that really entices me as a trade for Johnny. Who's available? Taylor Hall? William Nylander? Don't feel like upgrades. Lateral move at best.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #139
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I agree. It’s the fact that this situation happens all too frequently.

Coach needs to give him a better plan or bench him to give him time to think of a better plan
Part of the issue is he's not strong or fast enough to turn the corner to the net, like other top scorers do when busting off the wing. So he's now left with an outside shot, a pass to the middle, or a bump back to the point. And those lanes just don't seem to be there any more. He used to have a clear path for an area pass to Wideman for a huge shot, or all the way across to Lindholm for a one timer. They are really clogging him up.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #140
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
No one out there that really entices me as a trade for Johnny. Who's available? Taylor Hall? William Nylander? Don't feel like upgrades. Lateral move at best.
No, you go after cost controlled players. Like Konecny, Debrusk, Lias Andersen, get a package. Fill holes.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: