Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #4001
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah really is a shame that devs don't get the time needed to polish games anymore.
I understand that online games will almost always have some issues, and I don't really mind that. It's when they release single player games unfinished that I get annoyed. I'm at the point with Ubisoft where I refuse to buy any of their games on day one because they're pretty much never finished.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #4002
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

All the Ubisoft complaints strike me as somewhat unwarranted.

Coming from someone who finished watch dogs and is 60% done unity I really haven't noticed any issues unless I'm noticing a button out of place on a vest or small shadow inconsistency.

Story and gameplay are what I look foot and both I feel did/are doing a great job
Old 12-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #4003
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
All the Ubisoft complaints strike me as somewhat unwarranted.

Coming from someone who finished watch dogs and is 60% done unity I really haven't noticed any issues unless I'm noticing a button out of place on a vest or small shadow inconsistency.

Story and gameplay are what I look foot and both I feel did/are doing a great job
It's completely warranted. They've been releasing buggy garbage for a while now. Their games have a long list of well documented issues. I mean Totalbiscuit wouldn't even do a WTF is... for Unity because it was so bad. To put it bluntly, a company doesn't cancel it's season pass and offer a free game because they released a quality product. And in terms of gameplay, Ubisoft is the most formulaic developer out there right now. Hey you guys want to climb some more towers?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #4004
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
It's completely warranted. They've been releasing buggy garbage for a while now. Their games have a long list of well documented issues. I mean Totalbiscuit wouldn't even do a WTF is... for Unity because it was so bad. To put it bluntly, a company doesn't cancel it's season pass and offer a free game because they released a quality product. And in terms of gameplay, Ubisoft is the most formulaic developer out there right now. Hey you guys want to climb some more towers?
As long as they keep setting said towers in historically accurate cities, yes please. From what I've seen, the amount of accurate detail put into Notre Dame is staggering. I love nerding out free-roaming in these games, they're commitment to history is impressive (commitment to shipping a finished product is another matter...)

On that note, is the game still a mess, glitch-wise? Or have the updates more or less fixed that? Gonna pick up a PS4 on Boxing Day, starting to get fired up for Unity, which will be my introduction to current gen. Weirdly all the fallout hasn't ruined my excitement for the game.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #4005
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
As long as they keep setting said towers in historically accurate cities, yes please. From what I've seen, the amount of accurate detail put into Notre Dame is staggering. I love nerding out free-roaming in these games, they're commitment to history is impressive (commitment to shipping a finished product is another matter...)

On that note, is the game still a mess, glitch-wise? Or have the updates more or less fixed that? Gonna pick up a PS4 on Boxing Day, starting to get fired up for Unity, which will be my introduction to current gen. Weirdly all the fallout hasn't ruined my excitement for the game.
Except they shoe-horn the same features into every game. I am not talking about just AC games, I am talking about all of their games. Far Cry, Watchdogs, and even The Crew has some sort of tower that you need to get to in order to reveal a portion of the map. WTF does a racing game need that for? It's unnecessary busy work for the most part.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #4006
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough, AC is the only Ubisoft game I've ever played. The Far Cry series has always appealed to me (I'm a nerd for natural environments in games, when they're done well), but I can't stand FPV games so I've never played it.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #4007
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The game looks great and plays great in my opinion. Played co-op with 3 others from this board as we had zero issues. I can however only comment on the PS4 version as I haven't played the PC or XB1 version.

Most of the time the people complaining about the game have never even played it. I never listen to websites for reviews on a game. The goal of those sites is to get the most hits and to get attention you must report on dismay and destruction..........people balk at creation and marvel at destruction. As an example Halo MC was reviewed extremely well yet ask anyone who actually has the game how unbelievably terrible the online experience is. If any of those reviewers had actually played the game they would have realized the matchmaking is pretty damn bad.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions as I am sure I hate many games that people love, that's the great thing about opinions.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #4008
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So one of the features of Xbox One I was most looking forward to was their added support of DNLA and .mkv files, but that appears to be a lie. None of my .mkv movies appear in the Media Player, and there is no "Play To" option on my PC to stream videos directly to the Xbone like with other file formats. So does the system actually support .mkv's and I'm missing something, or did Microsoft jump the gun with their announcement?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #4009
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, AC is the only Ubisoft game I've ever played. The Far Cry series has always appealed to me (I'm a nerd for natural environments in games, when they're done well), but I can't stand FPV games so I've never played it.
Everyone has their own preference, of course, but I find this amusing because I was chatting with a friend today about how much I tend to hate newer games because of the belief that each version has to be bigger and with more convoluted controls. There is something to be said for sticking with a formula that works.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #4010
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://kotaku.com/the-new-nathan-dra...ps4-1669100924

The New Nathan Drake Shows Off The Power of the PS4

This panel, which comes from last week's PlayStation Experience show, has the Naughty Dog team talking about how they drafted the newest Nathan Drake model. In short, there was a lot of thought put into the new Nathan Drake. It's fascinating to hear them talk about how they chose his costume, how they obsess over details like folds and creases, his wrinkles, and even getting Drake's half-tuck juuust right.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #4011
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Things seem much better IMO after the patch. Although, I didn't really notice all that much bad with it before hand.

I'm enjoying the #### out of the game. Even when I was playing it I wasn't getting the "glitches" that were being reported. And the ones that I have seen have mostly been with the NPCs... given that there is hundreds upon hundreds on screen at certain times it doesn't really take away from the actual game. Only glitch I did have was in a church that is wall to wall stain glass, and the realistic lighting I think was just to much for the game. Odd frame rate drop here or there but nothing to cry about and write angry internet posts about it.

I enjoy the free roaming, I've got close to 50 hours or more on this game and I'm only 2/3rds through the actual story. 50% completion, but I'm doing a lot of the side quests, collecting chests and so on. And I'm still finding areas that I haven't been before in this game. Also, since the whole city loads there is no loading times between districts... you can pretty much run from one end of the city to the other without a loading screen. Which I actually really like.

The co op is pretty fun too, especially the heists because you have to do the whole thing stealth, the more attention you garner the lower your reward. Add me on psn, Diverce, and we'll do some co op. I'm sure Diemenz would be up for it as well.

Plus we're all getting the DLC for free, so can't go wrong with that

This game has been my introduction to Assassin's Creed, it's making me want to pick up Black Flag and Freedom Cry. As I'm having a blast with it. How I didn't know about this series earlier is beyond me, and I feel shame.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TjRhythmic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #4012
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
Things seem much better IMO after the patch. Although, I didn't really notice all that much bad with it before hand.

I'm enjoying the #### out of the game. Even when I was playing it I wasn't getting the "glitches" that were being reported. And the ones that I have seen have mostly been with the NPCs... given that there is hundreds upon hundreds on screen at certain times it doesn't really take away from the actual game. Only glitch I did have was in a church that is wall to wall stain glass, and the realistic lighting I think was just to much for the game. Odd frame rate drop here or there but nothing to cry about and write angry internet posts about it.

I enjoy the free roaming, I've got close to 50 hours or more on this game and I'm only 2/3rds through the actual story. 50% completion, but I'm doing a lot of the side quests, collecting chests and so on. And I'm still finding areas that I haven't been before in this game. Also, since the whole city loads there is no loading times between districts... you can pretty much run from one end of the city to the other without a loading screen. Which I actually really like.

The co op is pretty fun too, especially the heists because you have to do the whole thing stealth, the more attention you garner the lower your reward. Add me on psn, Diverce, and we'll do some co op. I'm sure Diemenz would be up for it as well.

Plus we're all getting the DLC for free, so can't go wrong with that

This game has been my introduction to Assassin's Creed, it's making me want to pick up Black Flag and Freedom Cry. As I'm having a blast with it. How I didn't know about this series earlier is beyond me, and I feel shame.
Black Flag is one of the best in the whole series. I really loved AC2, Revelations and Brotherhood as well. The first and 3rd games were awful though, and I haven't played Rogue or Unity yet.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #4013
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Black Flag is one of the best in the whole series. I really loved AC2, Revelations and Brotherhood as well. The first and 3rd games were awful though, and I haven't played Rogue or Unity yet.
That's what I've heard about black flag, and the add on freedom cry looks like a good story. Freedom cry is on sale right now in the ps store for $6, so I might grab it. And it's also selling as a stand alone game so I don't need black flag to play it which is nice.

Rogue seems cool, I like the idea that you leave the brotherhood and fight with the Templars, and you are getting hunted by Assassins. Seems like it takes on a revenge of the sith type of vibe.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #4014
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

AC1 and 3 are definitely the slower moving ones, but I liked em both. Re-playing through 3 right now to get my mind right for Unity, I still say it had its moments. I'll still never know why they removed ambient music from free roam in that one though, bizarre decision. Game reeks of being released too early, in the Ubi fashion lately.

AC1 almost feels like a beta testing for a game, but that's my all-time favourite setting for an AC game to date. The Medieval Holy Land is the most suiting setting for the Assassins, given thats where/when they actually existed. I'd love for AC to re-visit that area sometime.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-10-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #4015
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
AC1 and 3 are definitely the slower moving ones, but I liked em both. Re-playing through 3 right now to get my mind right for Unity, I still say it had its moments. I'll still never know why they removed ambient music from free roam in that one though, bizarre decision. Game reeks of being released too early, in the Ubi fashion lately.

AC1 almost feels like a beta testing for a game, but that's my all-time favourite setting for an AC game to date. The Medieval Holy Land is the most suiting setting for the Assassins, given thats where/when they actually existed. I'd love for AC to re-visit that area sometime.
Totally agree. AC1 was very rough but the setting was easily my favorite. I haven't played an AC game since Revelations but Black Flag is on my to-do list because I've heard so many good things.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #4016
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black Flag is the only AC game that I didn't lose interest in as I finished the main story and majority of side missions. The rest of the series for whatever reason I couldn't get into but sandbox games have always had a tough time holding my attention as only the best of the best like GTAV, Red Dead Redemption, Black Flag, etc have kept my attention.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #4017
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

November NPD numbers are out tonight. XBone over the PS4 for the previous month breaking Sony's streak:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/12/1...uk-in-november

Last edited by chemgear; 12-11-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Leaks still ongoing
Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #4018
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm, surprising that MCC charted at just at #10 in it's release month. Interesting to note that Sunset Overdrive didn't chart in October or November at all. Dumb that the two version of Pokémon show up as different games, lol.

EDIT: And no Dragon Age.

EDIT of the EDIT: Holy AC Unity didn't start well.

1.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
2.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
3.) Super Smash Bros. (NWU, 3DS)
4.) Madden NFL 15 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
5.) Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)
6.) Far Cry 4 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
7.) Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
8.) NBA 2K15 (PS4, 360, XBO, PS3, PC)
9.) Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4, XBO, PC)
10.) Halo: The Master Chief Collection (XBO)

Last edited by chemgear; 12-11-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #4019
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
November NPD numbers are out tonight. XBone over the PS4 for the previous month breaking Sony's streak:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/12/1...uk-in-november
Nice edit 400,000 is a bit of a difference
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #4020
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

$100 cheaper and giving away free games seems to have worked for one month but looking at the 2015 lineups I don't think Xbone is going to win many months