Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #2941
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Snyder is that his only real successes came as a frame by frame remake of Moore's Watchmen and Miller's 300. Slight alterations, sure. Generally, he doesn't have it in him to create anything original. It's what made him such a weird choice to run the DCEU. They saw him try Legend of the Guardians and Sucker Punch, so they knew that he had a ceiling to his ability, but they went with him anyway.

WB would have been better served handing the reins to Geoff Johns and just getting out of the way. He would have been fine at the Fiege job of just making sure the storylines made sense, and staying out of writing and directing. (I mean, he could moonlight as a comic writer.)
Old 01-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #2942
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The biggest problem is that Snyder always wanted to do a 5 movie epic but WB wanted a MCU style universe of films. They never ironed this out and hence we get 2 different time lines. Both Jenkins and Waan have said their movies will follow the Snyder Cut universe and not the Justice League released in theatres. I think if the Snyder films were part of their own universe they would have been more well recieved by fans and critics.

When you hire a director who doesn't share your vision and you can't convince him to, then you're doing something drastically wrong and your movie is probably doomed to fail.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #2943
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
When you hire a director who doesn't share your vision and you can't convince him to, then you're doing something drastically wrong and your movie is probably doomed to fail.
The question is why did WB give Snyder freedom to almost finish a very unique film, and then step in right near the end and try and turn it into a very generic film.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #2944
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #2945
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Box Office: ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Suffers Disastrous 67% Plunge
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=29e520d5345d

Quote:
Wonder Woman 1984 earned $5.5 million in domestic theaters this weekend, dropping a sharp (and almost unprecedented for a Christmas release, save for Justin Bieber’s Believe in 2013) 67% in its second Fri-Sun frame.

WW84 has earned $28.5 million in ten days, with the sharp drop likely ending any hope of getting past the $58 million domestic cume of Tenet. It’ll pass The Croods: A New Age ($34 million domestic) to be the second-biggest “post-pandemic” Hollywood flick thus far, but only by default.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #2946
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know it's bad when an article discussing ticket sales references a Justin Bieber movie.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #2947
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Box Office: ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Suffers Disastrous 67% Plunge
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=29e520d5345d
What a click baiting headline.....Geez I wonder what in the world is currently going on that could affect ticket sales
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #2948
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What a click baiting headline.....Geez I wonder what in the world is currently going on that could affect ticket sales

What's so click-baiting about it? I'm pretty sure the exact same pandemic was going during opening weekend too.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #2949
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
What's so click-baiting about it? I'm pretty sure the exact same pandemic was going during opening weekend too.
The headline is comparing a movie in the height of Covid to normal times, which is not a fair comparison. And according to the author of the article....
https://twitter.com/user/status/1345794876353302528
Old 01-03-2021, 09:16 PM   #2950
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its interesting, because of the view from home for 30 bucks thing. But it essentially to me has less to do with Covid then the fact that when the reviews started coming out people decided to wait until it came out for free to watch it.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 10:57 PM   #2951
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a curious question, considering there is practically no competition. If it was as strong a movie as the first Wonder Woman, would it be able to hold steady with it's draw for two weeks? Three weeks? More?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #2952
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its interesting, because of the view from home for 30 bucks thing. But it essentially to me has less to do with Covid then the fact that when the reviews started coming out people decided to wait until it came out for free to watch it.
The $30 price point is too high for me. It would have to be a movie with rave reviews that I also can't wait to see for me to pay that much to watch at home.

If the theaters open up again I'd see it there. Otherwise, I'm waiting until Netflix. Maybe I'll pay $6 to rent it in demand, if I get really bored one night.

I think they are still figuring out the whole price point thing, but at $15-20, they'd probably sell over twice as many rentals and increase profits.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #2953
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Australia is pretty much the only country where movie theatres are all open and it seems to be doing fine there

https://twitter.com/user/status/1345803844337463302
Old 01-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #2954
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Australia is pretty much the only country where movie theatres are all open and it seems to be doing fine there

https://twitter.com/user/status/1345803844337463302
Without any other competition though. It’s literally the only big budget movie in theatres right now. There’s nothing else to see.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #2955
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not exactly surprised a bad superhero movie isn't doing well at the box office.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #2956
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Without any other competition though. It’s literally the only big budget movie in theatres right now. There’s nothing else to see.
Croods: A New Age says hi!
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #2957
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The $30 price point is too high for me. It would have to be a movie with rave reviews that I also can't wait to see for me to pay that much to watch at home.

If the theaters open up again I'd see it there. Otherwise, I'm waiting until Netflix. Maybe I'll pay $6 to rent it in demand, if I get really bored one night.

I think they are still figuring out the whole price point thing, but at $15-20, they'd probably sell over twice as many rentals and increase profits.

I have zero interest in it at $30.00, I mean if I had a sig other or kids, it makes sense. But the first run movies on PPV are all in that 25 or 30 dollar range, so I'm not spending a bunch of money on movies right now.

I think this is a matter that when the movie came out and the freeze was lifted on the reviews the movie was savaged, and listening to some people here, and some friends, rightfully so. So you're always going to get that opening day surge, but those viewers killed the movie on review or social media, and everyone else looked at the costs and went narf.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #2958
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally understand people didn't enjoy WW84 but in terms of box office I feel like the narrative isn't fair. Tenet came out in summer and with no view at home options and after opening to $20 million the next weekend it dropped 67% to $6.7 million. I will fully admit BvS had a terrible 2nd weekend and if this were a normal year and it had a 67% 2nd weekend drop I would agree with you. But given what's going on in the world a 67% drop in North America is perfectly reasonable, especially as it's in line with the only other large release. In fact because it has an option to view at home makes its performance better than Tenet .
Old 01-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #2959
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I totally understand people didn't enjoy WW84 but in terms of box office I feel like the narrative isn't fair. Tenet came out in summer and with no view at home options and after opening to $20 million the next weekend it dropped 67% to $6.7 million. I will fully admit BvS had a terrible 2nd weekend and if this were a normal year and it had a 67% 2nd weekend drop I would agree with you. But given what's going on in the world a 67% drop in North America is perfectly reasonable, especially as it's in line with the only other large release. In fact because it has an option to view at home makes its performance better than Tenet .
Why do you care so much about being fair to a mediocre superhero movie?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #2960
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

I honestly wouldnt waste your money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: