Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #41
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
You're working off the assumption that Trotz would
A) Say yes to Calgary
B) Calgary would pay his price
B is the bigger point here. People around the team in the city here have said many times the team isn't willing to pay big dough for a coach. Its been all over 960, and I would be shocked if they were speculating. Especially with the GG hiring, now Peters, and never talking to Boudreau prior to GG.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #42
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Exactly. So anyone saying "why didn't we wait for Trotz?" needs to understand that.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Well if he was thrilled he’d be signed... Of course it’s speculation, but it’s a fair assumption that he isn’t 100% set on wanting to play there. I don’t see how a coach impacts your decision on an 8 year contract.
I don't think he is thrilled how things have gone in the past but he has said he likes playing for the Islanders, he likes the area, and he would prefer to stay. So if he wanted the organization to show him they were serious about winning I don't see how bringing in a coach that just won the SC doesn't help impact your decision.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #44
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
B is the bigger point here. People around the team in the city here have said many times the team isn't willing to pay big dough for a coach. Its been all over 960, and I would be shocked if they were speculating. Especially with the GG hiring, now Peters, and never talking to Boudreau prior to GG.
Why go all in with Hamonic trade etc and then skimp on meh coaches. I get why the Flames are doing it but doesn't make sense to me. Flames missed the boat without a winner and an unproven coach.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So funny - after the season there was a bunch of "Why is GG still here? Treliving needs to be in on any available coaches right now". Then after GG was let go there was a week of "why hasn't Treliving hried a new coach yet?" Now it's "Why didn't Treliving wait?" (on the chance that (a) Washington and Trotz parted ways and (b) Trotz considers Calgary a likley destination.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #46
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

There must be more to it than being willing to spend to the cap but not paying for a top coach. Sureloss, you most likely have the answer...

I would much rather the flames take 5m off the roster and pay a coach like Trotz or AV or Quenville should he have been available than fill to the cap and not pay a coach. Is it the optics of already stretching themselves to spend to the cap and then if they don't but bring in a good coach, everyone forgets about the good coach and pushes for the cap space to be filled?

You would think they would have tried it at least once over the last little while.

Also, good for Washington to let him explore other options. My understanding is that he was technically under contract for this coming season and the caps would have had the deal of a lifetime. They gave him permission to break the contract.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #47
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any idea what Brian Burke was making? He was a big name with a somewhat successful history. I imagine the Flames would pay $$$ for a superstar coach if the situation was right.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
There must be more to it than being willing to spend to the cap but not paying for a top coach. Sureloss, you most likely have the answer...

I would much rather the flames take 5m off the roster and pay a coach like Trotz or AV or Quenville should he have been available than fill to the cap and not pay a coach. Is it the optics of already stretching themselves to spend to the cap and then if they don't but bring in a good coach, everyone forgets about the good coach and pushes for the cap space to be filled?

You would think they would have tried it at least once over the last little while.

Also, good for Washington to let him explore other options. My understanding is that he was technically under contract for this coming season and the caps would have had the deal of a lifetime. They gave him permission to break the contract.
Montreal is paying the third highest coaching salary at the moment. How's that working for them? Edmonton is fourth (subject to a lot of teams that don't report it).

Babcock is first and Quenneville is second and they are both probably worth it, but Chicago missed this year and Toronto only made it in the POs this year (and didn't play particularly well against Boston except that Andersen was better than Tuuka).

ETA: Trotz was a pretty low paid coach and he just won the cup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #49
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Absolutely. But when you have time to wait and see, you wait and see.
No, not always. That was Jiri's point.

edit: Sorry, I think that's what you're re-iterating. That *if* you have the time, you wait and see.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #50
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames can still hire Trotz if he wants to come here.

Peters does not have a winning record with the team, and I have yet to see a rookie get a minute of ice time.
On the plus side for keeping Peters is that I have not seen Brouwer on the powerplay yet.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #51
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would rather have Trotz than Peters (who wouldn’t?) but free agent coaches are like free agent players. No reason to believe Trotz had any interest in being here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #52
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Rierden was hired as an associate (not assistant) coach on the understanding that the head coach job would be his at some point. He's McLellan's guy. It sounds like Trotz was never in the long-term plans.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #53
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Any idea what Brian Burke was making? He was a big name with a somewhat successful history. I imagine the Flames would pay $$$ for a superstar coach if the situation was right.

I don't have any concrete figures on Brian Burke other than that he signed a 6 year, $18 million contract with Toronto in 2008. He was the GM in the biggest market.

Fast forward to Calgary in 2013 and his role was President of Hockey Operations and I know that Calgary coveted others for the role. I would be shocked to learn he earned less than before in Toronto, so $2.75- 3 million a year sounds reasonable given the role, the market, the responsibilities.

I do think one of the reasons why there was a "mutual" parting of ways was the Flames might not have been getting the value they thought, some of the expensive errors in hockey operations needed to be dealt with and Treleving got a rasie in his last contract.

On Burke's end, he's made a boatload of money as an executive for 30+ years, the commute wasn't great, he's turning 63 years old and he could make a career change for the next 5 -10 years with a decent salary and role in broadcasting.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #54
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Everyone seems to think AV is a prime candidate when a coaching job becomes available but aren't the Rangers still on the hook for two more years at about $8 million. If they are, I don't see anyone willing to give AV that kind of money to coach. Has this changed... Am I missing something with regards to the contract? Oilers famous for paying coaches for not coaching the team.

Trotz was lucky that Holtby bailed him out in the first round after Barry's decision to start Grubauer the first two games against Columbus.

Last edited by tsquared1967; 06-18-2018 at 11:17 PM.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tsquared1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #55
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trotz wasn’t coming back to the Caps from the sounds of it no matter what. MacLellan apparently didn’t end up being Trotz’s biggest fan during the season. Makes it a bit more awkward when you win the Cup.

With that knowledge, I would be surprised if Treliving didn’t make back channel queries to gauge Trotz’s likelihood of coming here, back in early 2018 or earlier. Peters situation was a little more defined, and as I have said before, those queries from BT were more certainly most likely made before the change of the Canes ownership situation and Peters could basically start packing his bags back here when the Flames lost that Friday night game against Anaheim in early March because a wink and nod agreement were likely in place a full month before it was officially announced.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #56
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Any idea what Brian Burke was making?
$3 million
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
Everyone seems to think AV is a prime candidate when a coaching job becomes available but aren't the Rangers still on the hook for two more years at about $8 million. If they are, I don't see anyone willing to give AV that kind of money to coach. Has this changed... Am I missing something with regards to the contract? Oilers famous for paying coaches for not coaching the team.

Trotz was lucky that Holtby bailed him out in the first round after Barry's decision to start Grubauer the first two games against Columbus.
You're not missing anything. Either AV works for exactly the same dough because he loves coaching that much or someone has to pay significantly more than $4M per season to make it worth his while. Washington was paying Trotz something like $1.5. I don't think they're up for $5M per season.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #58
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trotz could take the year off. Go to Seattle.

AV still out of work is a bit of a surprise.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #59
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post

Uhhhhhh Grubauer was the starting goalie in Washington when the playoffs started. Posted 2 shutouts in March.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #60
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trotz probably gonna end up with nearly as much as Babcock
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post: