Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2022, 02:06 AM   #7401
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Yes, they might not be a powerhouse, but if Markstrom can get hot, they play a good defensive game..........an offensive forward or two and they may not be an easy out in the playoffs.

Life is too short. If you can potentially go on a bit of a run give the fans something to cheer for.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:51 AM   #7402
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many futures would you all be comfortable giving up for Miller?

Canucks likely would want Dube+1st+top prospect.

Would that many futures be worth 2 runs with Miller? Turning 29 in less than 2 months so not sure an extension would make sense at 31 so I see this as a 2 run rental
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:09 AM   #7403
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
How many futures would you all be comfortable giving up for Miller?

Canucks likely would want Dube+1st+top prospect.

Would that many futures be worth 2 runs with Miller? Turning 29 in less than 2 months so not sure an extension would make sense at 31 so I see this as a 2 run rental
I would do this. But still need to add some additional forward depth IMO. We need both quality and quantity up front. Miller is gigantic upgrade on Dube but still leaves you dangerously thin.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #7404
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miller would be awesome but probably not landing him. Get charged a premium for an in division move.

Dammit Brad as much as I want Pavelski and Tarasenko just get us Hot Dog Phil and old boys club Eberle and I'd still be happy haha. Get this team some scoring help. Push Richardson and Ritchie out of the lineup.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #7405
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Toffoli would be a great addition as would Miller.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund- Toffoli
Lucic - Monahan - Coleman
Lewis - Ruzicka - Pitlick

I think Dube is expendable. Dube+ for Toffoli would be a good starting point. Wouldn't mind dealing Dube and a 1st, in all honesty. Toffoli's contract is cap friendly too. Dealing a 1st.. meh. We have a few forwards ready to make the jump soon in Zary, Pelletier, and in the future, Coronato. Perhaps Coronato leaves after this season. That 1st is good to trade IMO.

Now, if we got Toffoli, not sure I would want him on the same line as Mang with both having shoot-first mentalities. However, Mang has slowed down considerably so having another legitimate scoring threat on the 2nd line does wonders.

Next season, move Monahan to the 2nd line, and have Zary and Backlund transition between 3rd and 4th lines. Hopefully Zary can have full-time 3rd line designation in his 2nd year, and move to the 2nd line in his 3rd year.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 01-25-2022 at 08:44 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #7406
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
team has a forward on pace for over 100 points and another on pace for over 90. They are one of the best defensive teams in the league are right around top 10 in scoring. Goal differential is near the top of the league.

if not now when would you ever trades futures to add? You could draft high for a decade and be lucky to get 2 100 point forwards.

####ing go for it
That's great and all, but someone mind reminding me last time Tre made an impact move during a season?? I don't think he ever has.

So I totally expect a 2nd for a Fantenberg and a 3rd for a 14th F, and both acquisitions will get playing time above younger Flames.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:46 AM   #7407
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
That's great and all, but someone mind reminding me last time Tre made an impact move during a season?? I don't think he ever has.

So I totally expect a 2nd for a Fantenberg and a 3rd for a 14th F, and both acquisitions will get playing time above younger Flames.
Treliving has never made an impact trade in season but he has also never traded a 2nd in season either. 3rd for Stone and Gustafson were his biggest prices I can remember him paying
Old 01-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #7408
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Lazar?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #7409
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Treliving has never made an impact trade in season but he has also never traded a 2nd in season either. 3rd for Stone and Gustafson were his biggest prices I can remember him paying
2017-Mar-01

2nd round pick traded from Calgary Flames with Jyrki Jokipakka to Ottawa Senators for Michael Kostka and Curtis Lazar

Ottawa used that pick to select Alex Formenton
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #7410
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Lazar?
I stand corrected.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #7411
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: Treliving and what he has or hasn't done in the past, IMO his job is on the line this year. Certainly more so than other years. I fully expect (should the team continue on this path) that he makes a bigger splash than normal.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #7412
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post

He’s no different from other NHL GMs. This isn’t the 90s anymore. There are one or two mid-season impact trades a year in the NHL these days, in a 32 team league. Then a flurry of depth moves at the deadline. In today’s NHL, teams remake their rosters at the draft and UFA window. The roster that takes the ice on opening night is the same roster that cleans out their lockers on garbage bag day.

This thread, along with whole ecosphere of NHL trade rumours, is a testament to the triumph of hope in defiance of reality.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-25-2022 at 09:09 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #7413
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
He’s no different from other NHL GMs. This isn’t the 90s anymore. There are one or two mid-season impact trades a year in the NHL these days, in a 32 team league. Then a flurry of depth moves at the deadline.

This thread, along with whole ecosphere of NHL trade rumours, is a testament to the triumph of hope in defiance of reality.
Yup.

It's also not a loss IMO if the Flames can upgrade on players such as Ritchie or Richardson-- a more capable heavy bottom-6 forward who can produce, without bringing up an experimental player such as Phillips. ex: Pat Maroon.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 01-25-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:59 AM   #7414
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

While cap flexibility is minimal the Flames likely have the most assets they can dangle at the deadline in some time. They have 4 1st rounders not playing on the big club, their upcoming 1st, and 2 2nds.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #7415
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Just a bit of fun my guy ..
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:26 AM   #7416
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giroux would be the best possible addition IMO. It would be pavelski but I don't think Dallas will throw in the towel until too late. Giroux, retained, would cost slightly less than Miller from divisional rival.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Gaudreau
Mangiapane-Giroux-Monahan
Lucic-Backlund-Coleman
Dube-Ruzika-Ritchie
Lewis
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:27 AM   #7417
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s no different from other NHL GMs. This isn’t the 90s anymore. There are one or two mid-season impact trades a year in the NHL these days, in a 32 team league. Then a flurry of depth moves at the deadline. In today’s NHL, teams remake their rosters at the draft and UFA window. The roster that takes the ice on opening night is the same roster that cleans out their lockers on garbage bag day.

I would broaden your definition of "impact trade". Deals like Laine, Hall, Palmieri, Savard, Foligno, Bennett, Mantha were all fairly big deals, involving key players and/or first round picks. I'm sure there's more.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:44 AM   #7418
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Giroux would be the best possible addition IMO. It would be pavelski but I don't think Dallas will throw in the towel until too late. Giroux, retained, would cost slightly less than Miller from divisional rival.

Lucic-Backlund-Coleman
Dube-Ruzika-Ritchie
Lewis
Great idea as well.

These would be my lines

Giroux-Monahan-Coleman
Mang-Backlund-Dube
Lucic-Ruzika-Ritchie
Lewis
Old 01-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #7419
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Lucic-Backlund-Coleman
Dube-Ruzika-Ritchie
Lewis
Miller you get for another year which to me is worth the slight overpay than getting Giroux for one run. 29 vs 34 years old.

I really do not want to give up a 1st for a mid 30’s guy who is gone in the summer
Old 01-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #7420
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are no quick fixes anymore as the roster that was good enough to be decided on in the offseason is the roster that's going to play out the season for better or worse. The trade deadline is the lone opportunity to bolster their lineup for the playoffs but even that has become more of a benefit of asset accumulation for bad or rebuilding teams who usually get the better of these deals. I personally don't want the Flames to make any moves between now and the end of the season that involves assets going out as most deadline acquisitions fail to make the desired impact.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: