Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 11:54 PM   #3321
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
In a city that has memorials every year to the 14 women that died in the Montreal Massacre, I don't know if Carey Price is:
A) Woefully uninformed to the point that nobody should take his opinions seriously
B) A complete liar to the point that nobody should take his opinions seriously
Really? Thats what you got out of that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 05:13 AM   #3322
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

If my company didn't have access to the tfw program, we would be shutting down the big car manufacturers. It costs us $10k per minute we shut them down.

They don't just get wages and benefits, they also pay into the CPP, which benefits us all. They could go back to their home country and still receive CPP payments throughout their retirement - and it would likely go further than it would here.

I quite often see them gain permanent residency, but I do think it needs to happen quicker and easier. We need to try to get ahead of the upcoming labour shortages in the next decade or two before the world steps up the recruitment campaign.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:02 AM   #3323
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Thats what you got out of that?
Yep. What do YOU get out of this:
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:24 AM   #3324
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't need to be so quick to assume the worst. I highly doubt Carey Price is pro-mass shooting of woman in a Quebec school.

If I saw a promo code for some place in Quebec and it said POLY - I wouldn't assume it was related to the shooting. I'd just assume it means something else.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #3325
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
In a city that has memorials every year to the 14 women that died in the Montreal Massacre, I don't know if Carey Price is:
A) Woefully uninformed to the point that nobody should take his opinions seriously
B) A complete liar to the point that nobody should take his opinions seriously
If we’re being honest with each other (and this applies to most hockey players especially and most people in general) it’s very obviously option A.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 08:57 AM   #3326
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep. What do YOU get out of this:
Honestly, these guys are standing on the ice for these kinds of things basically everyday...meanwhile they're trying to get ready for a professional hockey game. It's not exactly far-fetched to think that their focus is elsewhere?

And really...he was what 1-2 years of age when the shooting happened? Like for me, I remember this happening because I was young adult at that point and a news junkie at that age, just as I am now. But things that happened when I was a baby or or whatever just don't resonate to the same extent.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #3327
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
where do you live? I would like to park in front of your house, block your driveway, and honk my horn all night.

Don't call the cops unless you have something against my freedom
ummm he lives in a server in Siberia.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:55 AM   #3328
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Honestly, these guys are standing on the ice for these kinds of things basically everyday...meanwhile they're trying to get ready for a professional hockey game. It's not exactly far-fetched to think that their focus is elsewhere?

And really...he was what 1-2 years of age when the shooting happened? Like for me, I remember this happening because I was young adult at that point and a news junkie at that age, just as I am now. But things that happened when I was a baby or or whatever just don't resonate to the same extent.
I find it hard to believe that he was not aware. Not only because any pre game ceremony when he was on the ice, but everything online and in the media every year. (especially in Quebec)

It's still a pretty big deal here in Canada.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #3329
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
We don't need to be so quick to assume the worst. I highly doubt Carey Price is pro-mass shooting of woman in a Quebec school.

If I saw a promo code for some place in Quebec and it said POLY - I wouldn't assume it was related to the shooting. I'd just assume it means something else.
If that promo code is for the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights' online shop, around the date of the shooting, and they haven't defended it, that shifts the odds a bit. You are choosing "it's a mystery!" over the obvious explanation.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #3330
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s still a big deal after all these years because it’s the only mass shooting we’ve had. Equating it to a hunter who wants to legally keep his rifle is a convoluted stretch even for you guys.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #3331
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

take this for what it is worth; however, i read a comment on twitter that poly was short for something (unfortunately I do not remember what exactly though).

Anyways, one would think that a gun ownership advocacy group would have been a little more sensitive around this and aware of the timing of this. in my opinion stuff like this is important if you want to help get moderates over to your side a bit

As for Carey - i don't feel his post dishonors the memory of the event at all. He is living his life today. He seems to love outdoor activities like hunting, and he wants to be able to keep doing this. I'd assume he does not have a social media team to remind him of event like this

Unfortunately, we all cant always be aware of all these dates and events. Otherwise, we would get to a point of perpetual mourning
Old 12-06-2022, 10:14 AM   #3332
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
It’s still a big deal after all these years because it’s the only mass shooting we’ve had
You might want to walk that back.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DevilsAdvocate For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #3333
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The issue here is that some of you actually believe that this bill will stop gun violence when it is quite clear that the majority of gun crime is committed with illegal firearms brought in from the US.

Gotta love the state of Canadian politics these days. Even when your beloved party and their beloved leader makes a clear over reach with legislation, gotta support the brand and smear those who stand against it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #3334
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The issue here is that some of you actually believe that this bill will stop gun violence when it is quite clear that the majority of gun crime is committed with illegal firearms brought in from the US.

Gotta love the state of Canadian politics these days. Even when your beloved party and their beloved leader makes a clear over reach with legislation, gotta support the brand and smear those who stand against it.
Was there any discussion at all about the effectiveness of this law in this thread recently? Are you inventing people to argue with?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 11:08 AM   #3335
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

I mean I'm a year older than Carey Price and grew up in Calgary. There was enough mentioned and instilled in us out west here that I've always had an understanding of the shooting. Maybe not as much these days, but back in school it used to be a pretty big deal in the media on the anniversary, or at least to an extent that it was engrained in your memory as a big event in Canadian history.

Not really getting into the back and forth on this debate other than this post stuck out to me as weird. Especially considering he's now spent the better part of his adult life living in the city that it happened in.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #3336
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is much happening here around the the Price comment the many here are unaware of.

The timing of his statement is not in regards to or in anyway tied to the anniversary of the Poly shooting. His statement comes now as the liberals have added a amendment to bill C-21 in the very late stages that further restricts firearms that are commonly used for everyday hunting practices.
The firearm price is holding in his Instagram post is a Benelli Super black eagle Shotgun, a common shotgun for goose hunting. It is a semi Auto shotgun that is not out of the ordinary. This shotgun is specifically named under the amendment and will be a banned weapon. The Ruger #1 a single fire rifle, banned.

Now CCFR, The CCFR has been engaged in a long standing tiff with a organization titled PolySouvient. (polyremembers). Headed by a victim of the Poly attack and murders. Polysouvient pulls no punches when damming all firearm owners. In response to a recent spat CCFR used a promo Code POLY as a means of throwing shade at polysouvient after a recent campaign against the CCFR and Legal firearm owners. Was it in poor taste when taken out of context and given the time frame in relation to the Poly murders, Yes.

The amendment is being done in a underhand, Slimy method which is not democratic, many wish to be the white knight of democracy until its being used against something they don't agree with or oppose.

Further issue is the amendment has language which can easily be used to further classify many, many other hunting firearms.

I understand many here, and in Canada don't understand the precautions/restrictions we as Canadians must abide by to become Firearms owners. In person training, in depth background check, Full application process right now is more then 6 months. This is to own a Long gun if you will.

Price is standing up for everyday law abiding citizens, I commend him for it greatly.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #3337
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
In response to a recent spat CCFR used a promo Code POLY as a means of throwing shade at polysouvient after a recent campaign against the CCFR and Legal firearm owners. Was it in poor taste when taken out of context and given the time frame in relation to the Poly murders, Yes.

Taken in context and in a different time frame is it supposed to be any less in poor taste?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #3338
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
There is much happening here around the the Price comment the many here are unaware of.

The timing of his statement is not in regards to or in anyway tied to the anniversary of the Poly shooting. His statement comes now as the liberals have added a amendment to bill C-21 in the very late stages that further restricts firearms that are commonly used for everyday hunting practices.
I think you're a little confused as to the criticism. You seem to suggest that people think he made comments purposely towards or near the anniversary of the shooting.

The criticism was actually that he didn't know about the shooting at all despite living the city almost his entire adult life and being on the ice for tributes over the years.

Everyone knows what he's speaking up against, lol. It's you that's confused.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #3339
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Taken in context and in a different time frame is it supposed to be any less in poor taste?
Its not Poly technique, its Polysouvient. But I will not argue semantics with you on this matter.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #3340
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think you're a little confused as to the criticism. You seem to suggest that people think he made comments purposely towards or near the anniversary of the shooting.

The criticism was actually that he didn't know about the shooting at all despite living the city almost his entire adult life and being on the ice for tributes over the years.

Everyone knows what he's speaking up against, lol. It's you that's confused.
You clearly have only followed the discussion on this board, not the topic as a whole, which I get your argument. I am confused on a lot of things lately, this is not one of them.
Edit: The criticism was prevalent before his statement on not knowing about Polytechnique.