Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 01:06 PM   #19021
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Nenshi is literally nothing like Trump OR Trudeau. Absurd comment.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:11 PM   #19022
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trudeau...Trump...and Nenshi...

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:19 PM   #19023
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

No, he's literally HITLER.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 02:19 PM   #19024
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by corporatejay; 04-23-2024 at 02:28 PM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:13 PM   #19025
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

The desperation to attack Nenshi’s character at all costs to distract from the current governing party’s train wreck of a performance so far will only get worse over the next 3 years.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:24 PM   #19026
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Nenshi is literally nothing like Trump OR Trudeau. Absurd comment.

Of course we know Nenshi isn't like Trudeau, Trump or whomever. I am not comparing policy, that's not the point.

The point was brought up that he becomes insufferable as a person because he thinks he is the smartest person in the room, and he may very well be, but that also leads to serious mistakes and hubris, which is a negative trait.

Don't believe me? How do you go from Worlds Greatest Mayor to the lowest polling numbers in 40+ years over a short period of time? If you live in Calgary like I do, I guess we as Calgarian's must just be very stupid people.

Our current mayor Gondek thinks she's substantially smarter and better than Nenshi, what is the chance she wins another election?

Nenshi just recently commented on how big of a mistake Calgary made with the 2026 Olympics voting no. He still think's today that was a good idea despite it failing miserably then. I think 60% of votes said no.

He was pushing for a Calgary Olympics on the cheap, with some events being held in Vancouver/Whistler, with hopes of renovating really old facilities and more. He continues to push this despite Covid having happened, inflation, construction costs and the IOC literally struggling to find places who want to host these games these days because of costs. He knows better, others don't know ****

Where he becomes insufferable is how he would argue with YOU or ME about what our CP names are, despite having never been on the site. He would be smarter than you and, and we would be wrong.

I actually don't mind him as NDP Leader or his time as mayor but his schtick will get tiring provincially if he NEVER takes the LOSS on a single item.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:29 PM   #19027
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Of course we know Nenshi isn't like Trudeau, Trump or whomever. I am not comparing policy, that's not the point.

The point was brought up that he becomes insufferable as a person because he thinks he is the smartest person in the room, and he may very well be, but that also leads to serious mistakes and hubris, which is a negative trait.

Don't believe me? How do you go from Worlds Greatest Mayor to the lowest polling numbers in 40+ years over a short period of time? If you live in Calgary like I do, I guess we as Calgarian's must just be very stupid people.

Our current mayor Gondek thinks she's substantially smarter and better than Nenshi, what is the chance she wins another election?

Nenshi just recently commented on how big of a mistake Calgary made with the 2026 Olympics voting no. He still think's today that was a good idea despite it failing miserably then. I think 60% of votes said no.

He was pushing for a Calgary Olympics on the cheap, with some events being held in Vancouver/Whistler, with hopes of renovating really old facilities and more. He continues to push this despite Covid having happened, inflation, construction costs and the IOC literally struggling to find places who want to host these games these days because of costs. He knows better, others don't know ****

Where he becomes insufferable is how he would argue with YOU or ME about what our CP names are, despite having never been on the site. He would be smarter than you and, and we would be wrong.

I actually don't mind him as NDP Leader or his time as mayor but his schtick will get tiring provincially if he NEVER takes the LOSS on a single item.
When he does that, I will call him insufferable. Until then, you are just making stuff up.

Nenshi had good ideas and he had bad ones. The good far outweighed the bad in my opinion.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 03:34 PM   #19028
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He's right though. It wasn't communicated well at the time, but for every $1 the city invested, we would have seen $5 returned - from the Province, the Feds, the IOC, and private investment. This was a very unique opportunity to have had our badly-outdated municipal facilities/infrastructure repaired/built/paid for by the rest of Canada and others - including for the new arena. Now we have to figure out how to do it ourselves going forward (well not the arena, that's now costing even more and we all know the story there).

If you ever wanted the rest of Canada to help pay for stuff in Alberta, this was it.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 03:36 PM   #19029
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't really matter what Nenshi is like as a person or what his policy is.
The odds of a party that is not the a conservative party winning an election in Alberta is next to zero.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #19030
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

Poster criticizes Nenshi for overestimating Nenshi's own knowledge by poster overestimating poster's knowledge of Nenshi.

Classic.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 03:45 PM   #19031
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The odds of a party that is not the a conservative party winning an election in Alberta is next to zero.

Nenshi can and will be a political force if he wins the leadership in my opinion. Despite what others may think, he schtick won't play well in rural Alberta unless he changes his tune and the way he approaches working class people.

Ironically he came from working class immigrant parents, but sometimes hubris and ego take over and you forget where you came from.

He might be able to win an election with mostly Calgary and Edmonton but he won't be able to hold long term unless he brings on smaller cities and the rural vote as well. The Alberta NDP can win and hold Alberta for a while, but they need to be smarter about it, and I am speaking as someone who's a Conservative but isn't happy with the UCP.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:58 PM   #19032
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Good lord, Nenshi is insufferable. Such an arrogant guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
The desperation to attack Nenshi’s character at all costs to distract from the current governing party’s train wreck of a performance so far will only get worse over the next 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Gonna be awesome when he uses that arrogance to really undress Smith and here absolute incompetence.
UCP is absolutely going to try and use this against him, and it's going to be successful with their base.

Spendshi, Turdeau-Singh-Nenshi alliance etc. etc.

They will do everything they can to discredit him, lump him in with the federal parties, play him up as an intellectual elite etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:00 PM   #19033
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Nenshi can and will be a political force if he wins the leadership in my opinion. Despite what others may think, he schtick won't play well in rural Alberta unless he changes his tune and the way he approaches working class people.

Ironically he came from working class immigrant parents, but sometimes hubris and ego take over and you forget where you came from.

He might be able to win an election with mostly Calgary and Edmonton but he won't be able to hold long term unless he brings on smaller cities and the rural vote as well. The Alberta NDP can win and hold Alberta for a while, but they need to be smarter about it, and I am speaking as someone who's a Conservative but isn't happy with the UCP.
I watched his last meeting as mayor with whatever they called the group of mayors for all the municipalities in the Calgary/Southern Alberta region. He seemed respected and well liked by all of the rural small town leaders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:04 PM   #19034
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nenshi doesn’t have his reputation because he’s smart. Al Duerr was smart, and nobody called him arrogant. He has his reputation because he’s belligerent, and dismissive of anyone who has a different opinion. Which is great for dunking on opponents, not so great for persuading people and building consensus.

He’s Calgary’s first mayor who rode in on a social media wave, so maybe we shouldn’t be surprised at the snarky style. I just hope his comms people can manage his social media activity better. Getting drawn into twitter spats isn’t a great look if you’re campaigning as the serious candidate.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:08 PM   #19035
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think if an election was held today with Nenshi as its leader I think the NDP would win.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:09 PM   #19036
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Nenshi doesn’t have his reputation because he’s smart. Al Duerr was smart, and nobody called him arrogant. He has his reputation because he’s belligerent, and dismissive of anyone who has a different opinion. Which is great for dunking on opponents, not so great for persuading people and building consensus.

He’s Calgary’s first mayor who rode in on a social media wave, so maybe we shouldn’t be surprised at the snarky style. I just hope his comms people can manage his social media activity better. Getting drawn into twitter spats isn’t a great look if you’re campaigning as the serious candidate.
This comes across as someone who just emerged from a coma, missing how elections have been won over the last decade.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:16 PM   #19037
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
This comes across as someone who just emerged from a coma, missing how elections have been won over the last decade.
I don’t remember Notley being particularly antagonistic and getting into lengthy twitter spats with political opponents, reporters, etc. the way Nenshi has.

And the arrogant part isn’t just coming from butthurt conservatives who he pwned. Lots of intelligent people who he has worked closely with have remarked on it.

Quote:
As the publicly reported anecdotes accumulated about Nenshi’s spats with councillors or business figures—plus the occasional dash of Twitter cattiness—Nenshi’s image lost some lustre. In the public imagination, there’s a thin line between Harvard-educated visionary and know-it-all, between confidence and arrogance, says Stephen Carter, chief strategist on Nenshi’s first campaign. He recalls the 2010 election team drilling Nenshi out of his tendency to tilt his head back and close his eyelids before responding to questions—it gave off a subtle professorial haughtiness. He’s noticed it creeping back over the years. “When you kind of know Nenshi, his charm is pretty spectacular,” Carter says. “When you really know Nenshi, his arrogance overcomes his charm.”

https://macleans.ca/politics/naheed-...-back-to-earth
I know people who worked at City Hall during Nenshi’s tenure. They felt the same way.

From the same article:

Quote:
He is by no means the only public figure to reach this point, but few had invested so much of their personal brands in digital chitchat. “He’s advised all councillors: don’t get into conversations on social media,” says Carra. “It’s a waste of your time, and it’s not good for your mental health.”
So Nenshi himself recognizes his social media activity has been counterproductive.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-23-2024 at 04:33 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:18 PM   #19038
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't seen a political leader "build consensus" since the Montreal Protocols.

Nothing in Smith's leadership has sought to build consensus. In fact, it has been the opposite. Pushing through majority-opposed policies while agitating the Federal Government at every step.

I personally don't think there is any type of consensus that could be gained between a Nenshi led NDP and a Parker led UCP.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:19 PM   #19039
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t remember Notley being particularly antagonistic and getting into lengthy twitter spats with political opponents, reporters, etc.
But PP is praised for this schtick nowadays.

Somehow, if Nenshi does it, he is insufferable to all.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:21 PM   #19040
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t remember Notley being particularly antagonistic and getting into lengthy twitter spats with political opponents, reporters, etc.
Yes, nearly a decade ago. Smith made a meal out of her using the unfortunately prevalent current playbook of tactics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: