Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2022, 02:54 PM   #3601
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Find a new thread, this has nothing to do with Sam Bennett
Old 02-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #3602
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Find a new thread, this has nothing to do with Sam Bennett
But we don't have a Jankowski thread anymore. It has to go here!
Old 02-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #3603
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The only veto we have heard reported was the owners vetoed a buyout of Neal (thankfully).

IF the owners vetoed three trades that Treliving brought forward, it makes you wonder:

Why would they keep him around if he keeps proposing bad deals?

Or why would he want to stay here if has no latitude?

My guess is that if the owners did veto deals he brought forward, it's because they created future salary obligations for the club. But it just doesn't seem plausible. Treliving would be gone by now if true, one way or the other.
I suspect most owners have a list of players they'd want to be consulted about.

If the deals - multiple at that - were bad, then it's really just an indication of market value.

I think simple loyalty/hope that Monahan will rebound/belief that he is the best option to 'win-now' would be the more likely explanations than $$.

Presumably the idea would be to shed cap...it's hard to think of too many plausible guys that would be seen as a financial concern...Johansen? Tarasenko? Voracek? OEL? Schmaltz?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:02 PM   #3604
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I suspect most owners have a list of players they'd want to be consulted about.

If the deals - multiple at that - were bad, then it's really just an indication of market value.

I think simple loyalty/hope that Monahan will rebound/belief that he is the best option to 'win-now' would be the more likely explanations than $$.

Presumably the idea would be to shed cap...it's hard to think of too many plausible guys that would be seen as a financial concern...Johansen? Tarasenko? Voracek? OEL? Schmaltz?
If owners are vetoing trades based on hockey criteria as opposed to $ considerations, then it’s a horribly broken situation.

I really can’t imagine it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:06 AM   #3605
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If owners are vetoing trades based on hockey criteria as opposed to $ considerations, then it’s a horribly broken situation.

I really can’t imagine it.
Based on the rumour we are discussing, do you think Tre presented a deal that cost more real $$, was shot down on that basis, and then presented the same kind of deal twice more?
Old 02-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #3606
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Based on the rumour we are discussing, do you think Tre presented a deal that cost more real $$, was shot down on that basis, and then presented the same kind of deal twice more?
No. I don’t believe he presented three deals to his owners and was rejected. And is still employed.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #3607
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bèlieve if 3 trades including Mony were vetoed by ownership it was likely due to salary retention.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #3608
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I bèlieve if 3 trades including Mony were vetoed by ownership it was likely due to salary retention.

It still doesn’t make sense. After the first one Tre should have known the financial limits he was working with.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #3609
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Valid points. The context within which this information was given to me is that Treliving was frustrated about parts of his role and this was an example. The person providing this would be in the know on a personal level, rather than professional, and it could have been exaggerated.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 01:53 PM   #3610
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Is this your first year as a fan?

Do you think the five year outlook looks good or....
Yep. First year. My crystal ball isn’t working so well either. What’s yours saying? Let me guess, the Flames lose Gaudreau and Tkachuk for nothing and spend the next 10 years finishing as the 9th seeded team in the west. Am I doing it right?

Something intelligent to offer, or are you just going to carry on with the usual?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #3611
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Valid points. The context within which this information was given to me is that Treliving was frustrated about parts of his role and this was an example. The person providing this would be in the know on a personal level, rather than professional, and it could have been exaggerated.
Thanks for sharing and I can appreciate that you can’t verify accuracy. If true, it paints a rather dysfunctional picture.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #3612
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for sharing and I can appreciate that you can’t verify accuracy. If true, it paints a rather dysfunctional picture.
Does it though?

The company I work for a GM of a branch still needs to answer to a Regional manager. Unless you are an Owner/GM like Jerry Jones there will be someone that needs to approve these moves. Who knows how much money was involved in the swap?

Trelviing has bought out guys, retained salary on trades, handed out $54M in long term deals after the bubble and committed another $29M over 6 years to another player this summer.

Was one of those deals trading Monahan to the Jackets for 1 goal Josh Andersen and having to go 7x5.5M? I don’t blame owners for saying no to that one even though I think it would be a better fit for the team now it was a risky deal that would have been met with a lot of disdain at the time had it happened.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #3613
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Does it though?

The company I work for a GM of a branch still needs to answer to a Regional manager. Unless you are an Owner/GM like Jerry Jones there will be someone that needs to approve these moves. Who knows how much money was involved in the swap?

Trelviing has bought out guys, retained salary on trades, handed out $54M in long term deals after the bubble and committed another $29M over 6 years to another player this summer.

Was one of those deals trading Monahan to the Jackets for 1 goal Josh Andersen and having to go 7x5.5M? I don’t blame owners for saying no to that one even though I think it would be a better fit for the team now it was a risky deal that would have been met with a lot of disdain at the time had it happened.
I’m fine with the idea of getting approvals. But if on three occasions ownership has concluded that the trade Treliving wants to make is a bad deal, then you have a problem IMO. Hard to say where the problem lies without knowing the deals.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #3614
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cap really limits the financial angle unless a trade was going to involve a buyout (which makes no sense). It's a bit silly to speculate without much of a timeline (though he did say the last year)

The most extreme example is probably Nick Schmaltz - his 7x5.85 deal only paid $3M in each of the first 2 years, so the remaining 5 (including this one) work out to a smidge under $35M in remaining cash.

If cash were much of an issue, we probably wouldn't have seen all of Coleman/Zadorov/Gudbranson/Pitlick (backloaded deal worth $2.2M vs. his 1.75 AAV this year). If he attempted Monny trade that cost real money after all of those then maybe that's where ownership draws the line, but I'm sure budget plans were in place well before then.

I suspect most owners would want to be consulted on any deal involving a $5M+ player with as many years w/ the franchise.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:40 PM   #3615
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1497038143069073408
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 07:44 PM   #3616
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

He ####ing killed Sillinger.

Bennett is pound for pound the hardest hitter in the NHL in my opinion.

Absolute TANK

I love that man :')
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 07:45 PM   #3617
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sam is a frickin Beauty! Keep that game up….
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #3618
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

That has to be a penalty....but yikes did he lay Sillinger out.

LOL
Old 02-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #3619
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rightly given a charging penalty
Unnecessary
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #3620
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty dumb play IMO. Your team is down by three goals and you pull your goalie with more than four minutes left. I mean, big hit and I'm assuming it was shoulder to chest, but unless there was something else that happened earlier in the game it seems like a pointless hit when the game is already decided...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote