Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 08:52 PM   #61
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

My Fettuccine Alfredo is sex on a plate. 4 ingredients: Pasta, butter, pecorino romano, black pepper.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:57 PM   #62
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

I love chicken parm and I’ve never had one anywhere that’s better than what I make at home. Also shepherd’s pie. Also dry cottage cheese filled vareniky (perogies) from scratch with sour cream/bacon grease white sauce with grilled Mennonite sausage.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:58 PM   #63
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
My Fettuccine Alfredo is sex on a plate. 4 ingredients: Pasta, butter, pecorino romano, black pepper.
You’re missing the Alfredo part.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:18 AM   #64
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am obvoiusly a steak guy and I will put my my grilling skills against anybody, any restaurant, any high end chef. Haven't made a bad steak in decades. I also make a mean lasagna. I go all out with the high end ingredients and it's my go-to dish when we have people over.

If we are including cocktails, I have perfected how to make the perfect mojito. Spent months crafting it after coming back from a Cuba vacation last year. You can taste the shortcuts restaurants/bars make and I'll never buy one from a bar ever again.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:21 AM   #65
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

My go-to is Honey Hot Smoked Chicken Wings.

Made from scratch deep dish pizza and chicken enchiladas are a hit everytime, but I've been eating healthy for a while so they're off the menu.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:22 AM   #66
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Three meals I’ve made dozens of times and to what I’d consider restaurant quality.

Hash browns. Key is to parboil the diced potatoes before adding them to hot oil. Then I mix them with sauteed peppers and chorizo sausage.

Spaghetti carbonara, classic style. So only ingredients are guanciale, egg yolks, parmesan, and the spaghetti. Not a complex dish, but took some time before I could consistently make it to a silky texture.

Chilli. I’ve been working out variations on it for 30 years now. What began as a hearty bachelor meal is now all about the chilli paste blends and experimenting with things like coco powder and stout beers. The recipe will never be final.
Love chilli! Something I've always wanted to master, but always forget to try!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:39 AM   #67
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a few things I can do that will always be hits with most people - Beef Bourguignon, prawn linguine, rack of lamb, a few other things out of cookbooks that I just repeat. If I have guests I'm cooking for I have a bunch of those go-tos.

But I think especially during the summer I probably mostly do barbecued chicken thighs in a variety of rubs, sauces, marinades far more than anything else, second to which would be barbecued pork chop (always try for bone in rib chop) with some seasoning and apple cider vinegar. Done right those are as good as a steak for a lot less money. Sometimes I'll just break down a whole chicken and BBQ the pieces, juicer than buying it cut up.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:46 AM   #68
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I have lots but one of my "tried and true" staples is Indonesian peanut chicken. It's also one of the few meals I prepare that doesn't have me looking like a mad chef and my wife trying to stay away from the kitchen so she doesn't get in the way. Basically throw some chicken in the slow cooker with some sliced carrots and a sauce made with peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and ginger right before I leave for work and put some rice in the rice cooker with a timer. Get home from work, throw in some frozen peas and cook a few minutes more, then top with peanuts and green onions when serving.
Sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe you can share (at least for the peanut sauce)? What do you use for the chicken (breast, thigh, whole chicken)?
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:48 AM   #69
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
If you add Lemon you have Cacio Pepe, an infinitely better and tastier dish than alfredo.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:50 AM   #70
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been mastering my pasta w/ marinara for a while now. I started 100 years ago as a college student with boxed spaghetti and jarred sauce with additions. Now, everything is homemade including the pasta. I do use canned tomatoes for the homemade sauce so I guess there's still a can involved. But, homemade pasta is a game changer.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:53 AM   #71
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
I love chicken parm and I’ve never had one anywhere that’s better than what I make at home. Also shepherd’s pie. Also dry cottage cheese filled vareniky (perogies) from scratch with sour cream/bacon grease white sauce with grilled Mennonite sausage.
Would love your recipe for this if possible. Haven't had home made wareneki with dry cottage cheese since my mom passed almost 20 years ago. I have an old Mennonite cook book of hers but of course it has 5 wareneki recipes! It's compiled from Mennonites that submitted their recipes and a lot don't have amounts.

I've been lucky to occasionally get good Mennonite farmer sausage but love it to make it with these and a nice white sauce...mmmm.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 12:56 PM   #72
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Love chilli! Something I've always wanted to master, but always forget to try!
The great thing about chilli is even low-effort, basic chilli is pretty good. Ground beef, onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, chilli powder, and beef stock. Low and slow for a couple hours. Finish it off with a can of kidney beans. Once you’ve got the basics down, you can start playing around.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 01:20 PM   #73
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like BBQ, pretty happy to cook anything on a NG grill.

But also in the house I make a good teriyaki, usually stir fry, but I'm open to putting it on meatballs or roasted chicken breasts...

Chopped Onions and Sesame seeds seared in;
Sesame Oil
Minced Garlic
Minced Ginger

Add:
Rice Vinegar
Brown Sugar
Soy Sauce
Oyster Sauce

Usually lightly Seasoning Salt whatever I am going to put into the sauce, if not maybe add some red pepper to the sauce.

If you're measuring you're doing it wrong, you should just know.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 01:58 PM   #74
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to enjoy cooking a lot, but not so much in recent years. Skillet cornbread is always requested.

The secret literally nobody is interested in hearing when I tell them is it's just a Martha Stewart recipe, and I, y'know, follow the directions.

However, one modification is I brush the cornbread with warm honey right after it comes out of the oven to give it a shine. Sometimes I put 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes in the batter, or chopped pimento if I have any.

Ah, found a picture on IG. Edit: wow, that's a huge image. Nevermind!

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 05-05-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 03:54 PM   #75
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A lot of hungarian dishes but always get requests to make Cabbage Rolls for Christmas dinners, so probably that is my signature dish.

Last edited by BlAcKNoVa; 04-22-2024 at 04:06 PM.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:36 PM   #76
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Would love your recipe for this if possible. Haven't had home made wareneki with dry cottage cheese since my mom passed almost 20 years ago. I have an old Mennonite cook book of hers but of course it has 5 wareneki recipes! It's compiled from Mennonites that submitted their recipes and a lot don't have amounts.

I've been lucky to occasionally get good Mennonite farmer sausage but love it to make it with these and a nice white sauce...mmmm.
When I get a chance, I will try to find the recipe I use and PM you
Old 04-22-2024, 04:44 PM   #77
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I tried many recipes and finally found a butter chicken instant pot recipe that my boys love.

I also learned a good Tarte Tartin at a french cooking class. Cherries jubilee. Cheese fondue.

Last edited by troutman; 04-22-2024 at 04:47 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:45 PM   #78
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So at what point does meatloaf become a burger? What's the differentiator?

You can literally take a meatloaf receipe and make it into a really heavily flavored hamburger.

But taking a hamburger and baking it in a meatloaf plan is basically a boring meatloaf.

The difference is in the flavouring that goes into the mix.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:38 PM   #79
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a recipe for a really good goulash. I ####ing love goulash. Help me Hungarian CP!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:46 PM   #80
terryclancy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Seafood paella FTW.
terryclancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking , skillz