Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #1041
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
I don't think he has a say in it, there's no NTC or NMC in his contract for 21-22, those don't kick in until the year after.
Yup, probably works in favour of the Flames if Eichel doesn't want to come here, since that's where Buffalo will want to send him as that relationship is so toxic.

Eichel: Don't trade me to Calgary, I want to go to LA or NY.

Adams: Calgary it is.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #1042
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Because, even if he doesn't have contractual control, he can tell the GM of the Canadian team he will request another trade, etc.

I think people clinging onto this very slim chance he is coming to calgary are seriously deluding themselves.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #1043
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I’m not so sure about that. Vegas is for sure. I think Edmonton also improved their team enough to comfortably get in. Vancouver got better but it’s a question of how much better. LA also improved and if Anaheim goes out and lands Eichel that’s an immediate boost as well. I’d say any one of Vancouver, LA, and Calgary could make it and it’s a tossup of how much you like their respective cores.
I think Edmonton got worse. Their D is in shambles and they won't get better goaltending from Smith.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #1044
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah if the relationship is that toxic I would cheerfully send the American born player to Canada, haha.

You don't want to be here in the spotlight? That means being compared with Connor every single night and paying them sweet, sweet Canadian tax dollars, good luck kiddo.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #1045
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Because, even if he doesn't have contractual control, he can tell the GM of the Canadian team he will request another trade, etc.

I think people clinging onto this very slim chance he is coming to calgary are seriously deluding themselves.
I think the chances he comes to Calgary are slim, but not for the reason you mention.

People seem to love talking about what a player or GM could do, in uniquely spiteful situations, but that very very rarely seems to occur.

How many players do you know of that have requested a trade, gotten their request, and then immediately requested another trade?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #1046
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's Chicago going to do with their cap? Hoping Fleury retires? They have Nylander and Hagel still to sign.

I'd gladly take Nylander off their hands...
Old 07-29-2021, 11:10 AM   #1047
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think the chances he comes to Calgary are slim, but not for the reason you mention.

People seem to love talking about what a player or GM could do, in uniquely spiteful situations, but that very very rarely seems to occur.

How many players do you know of that have requested a trade, gotten their request, and then immediately requested another trade?
I think it's even more rare a GM trades for a player that doesn't want to be there. Especially if they are making 10+ Mill.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #1048
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Eichel doesn't want to play in Calgary, why would Treliving be pursuing a trade for him?

This is such a weird take. Do some of you actually believe that to be a plausible scenario?

Adams: Hey Brad, I hate this Eichel kid, what will you give me for him?
Treliving: Don't know, what would you like?
Adams: A couple of your top prospects and your next two 1st over all picks.
Treliving: Hahaha done deal, #### Jack Eichel.
Adams: Straight up, #### that guy. Lol.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #1049
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
If Eichel doesn't want to play in Calgary, why would Treliving be pursuing a trade for him?

This is such a weird take. Do some of you actually believe that to be a plausible scenario?

Adams: Hey Brad, I hate this Eichel kid, what will you give me for him?
Treliving: Don't know, what would you like?
Adams: A couple of your top prospects and your next two 1st over all picks.
Treliving: Hahaha done deal, #### Jack Eichel.
Adams: Straight up, #### that guy. Lol.
Is he pursuing a trade? Or is this just a fan-tasy?
Old 07-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #1050
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, it's just me imagining a Beavis & Butthead like exchange in my head.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #1051
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel has a contract. He can't break that contract and risk injury. He's not going to sit out 5 years to not play in the NHL.

I don't think he's dictating where he's going at this point, just that he's no longer playing in Buffalo. Right now that's seen as amenable; the realtionship with the team has degraded and it's not like Jack didn't try. But if he were to sit out automatically on a newly acquiring team that narrative would change overnight.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #1052
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyceman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #1053
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's even more rare a GM trades for a player that doesn't want to be there. Especially if they are making 10+ Mill.
The only thing we know is that he doesn't want to be in Buffalo, and not simply because of the location.

So it seems foolish to assume where else he does and doesn't want to go.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #1054
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's hilarious anyone thinks Eichel is coming here.

He's not coming to a Canadian team.

You are clueless

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #1055
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Eichel has a contract. He can't break that contract and risk injury. He's not going to sit out 5 years to not play in the NHL.

I don't think he's dictating where he's going at this point, just that he's no longer playing in Buffalo. Right now that's seen as amenable; the realtionship with the team has degraded and it's not like Jack didn't try. But if he were to sit out automatically on a newly acquiring team that narrative would change overnight.
You're right, but at the same time, I would think a GM that is looking to acquire Eichel (especially at the assumed cost) is going to want him to be okay coming to their city.
You don't want to pay an enormous cost and have him pull a Jeff Carter in Columbus.
If he's adamant that he does not want to play in Calgary (for example), he's probably not going to perform to his maximum abilities (even if it's not intentional).
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #1056
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
You're right, but at the same time, I would think a GM that is looking to acquire Eichel (especially at the assumed cost) is going to want him to be okay coming to their city.
You don't want to pay an enormous cost and have him pull a Jeff Carter in Columbus.
Carter is exhibit A in the "I will pout about this trade and force another" case. I'd bet there are plenty of less obvious examples behind the scenes. There's always the Pronger route as well.

ETA: Of course, Carter didn't request a trade like Eichel. It's a bit unseemly to say "I want a trade - get me out of here" and then say "oh, hey, not to there!!".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #1057
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin and Eichel are close friends. Grew up playing together, same draft class and have been on vacations together since playing in the NHL. They both made the NHL All Star game in 2018 together in their 20 year old seasons

We have Gaudreau, Hanifin, Tkachuk, Coleman, Lewis and Mackey who are all American players
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #1058
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
If he's adamant that he does not want to play in Calgary (for example), he's probably not going to perform to his maximum abilities (even if it's not intentional).
Then look at it from Eichel's point of view. I don't think he's going to care overly about the team he's going to under a few conditions:
- they want him, and the team has a good reputation respecting player's and their health decisions
- there are players in the same age range as him on the team for competitive windows
- his contract structure can fit the team while remaining competitive

then he probably has a few extra wants:
- some player familiarity
- nice place to live (maybe american preference comes in here.)

but at this point Eichel has stayed loyal to BUFFALO of all cities until the health decision soiled the relationship. As a competitive guy (well documented) I don't think he wants his reputation or future potential legend to be too tarnished by all of this. Money wise, his contract already has him set for life.

I think Calgary largely fits these criteria.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #1059
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess what I am getting at is he would have to REALLY hate Canada to completely deny a potential trade here because it would really jeopardize his future earning potential, and marketability as a player. We've heard nothing about him not liking Canada, so why conjure up that as a huge reason we can't acquire him?
Old 07-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #1060
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Hanifin and Eichel are close friends. Grew up playing together, same draft class and have been on vacations together since playing in the NHL. They both made the NHL All Star game in 2018 together in their 20 year old seasons

We have Gaudreau, Hanifin, Tkachuk, Coleman, Lewis and Mackey who are all American players

https://www.nhl.com/video/hanifin-an...912/c-57071203
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post: