Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 08:41 PM   #2041
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt the other 30 GMs have been watching Lindholm with the same creepy ex vibes as we do. They'll look at his wider body of work and talk themselves into it (if he even makes July 1).

Top 6 C's hardly ever hit UFA and it's a really difficult position to bolster. Even if you have 1-2C punch covered he would still be a nice luxury at 2RW or 3C that could slot up when needed. But of course it all depends on who has the cap space
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:52 PM   #2042
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I doubt the other 30 GMs have been watching Lindholm with the same creepy ex vibes as we do. They'll look at his wider body of work and talk themselves into it (if he even makes July 1).

Top 6 C's hardly ever hit UFA and it's a really difficult position to bolster. Even if you have 1-2C punch covered he would still be a nice luxury at 2RW or 3C that could slot up when needed. But of course it all depends on who has the cap space
I'm not sure why you'd think other teams aren't paying attention to a multi year sample size that keeps getting worse?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:57 PM   #2043
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm not sure why you'd think other teams aren't paying attention to a multi year sample size that keeps getting worse?
His wider body of work is the reason for saying he’s going to have trouble.

Not only have his stats declined he’s going to have his worst season since Carolina in a contract year. He’s only gotten worse in Vancouver.

Last edited by Paulie Walnuts; 03-26-2024 at 09:17 PM.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 09:08 PM   #2044
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Only thing that can save Lindholm is if he has a great playoffs and canucks go far. Then he will get a long term deal.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 06:34 AM   #2045
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

That would probably explain why so many terrible contracts are handed out annually in free agency. When a player is in his late 20's his body of work matters less then where the player is currently trending when long term contracts are being looked at. Looking at body of work and dismissing trends is how you end up with guys like Brouwer and Neal on long term contracts in their 30's. I think Lindholm is going to age better than a lot of the typical UFA busts but he's a guy a team would ideally sign on a value contract because there's a high probability that he rounds into a 40-50 point center which warrants Backlund type of money. That said July 1st is the silly season after all and one can not discount the desperation of some GM's.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 07:49 AM   #2046
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That would probably explain why so many terrible contracts are handed out annually in free agency. When a player is in his late 20's his body of work matters less then where the player is currently trending when long term contracts are being looked at. Looking at body of work and dismissing trends is how you end up with guys like Brouwer and Neal on long term contracts in their 30's. I think Lindholm is going to age better than a lot of the typical UFA busts but he's a guy a team would ideally sign on a value contract because there's a high probability that he rounds into a 40-50 point center which warrants Backlund type of money. That said July 1st is the silly season after all and one can not discount the desperation of some GM's.
I think it was Boomer on Barn Burner who said that NHL GM's are not idiots, but they are not a bunch of geniuses either. I thought that was pretty accurate.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 08:20 AM   #2047
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I still think Lindholm will get a 7x7ish contract from the Bruins
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:58 AM   #2048
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he'll sign in Boston and fit in seamlessly to whatever it is that they do there, and they'll finish the season with well over 100 points again.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:23 AM   #2049
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think it was Boomer on Barn Burner who said that NHL GM's are not idiots, but they are not a bunch of geniuses either. I thought that was pretty accurate.
Moneyball hasn't ever caught hold in the NHL.

At least half of the GMs are ex-players, meaning they are generally not highly educated but are familiar with the players they've seen over the years and maybe more apt to be impressed by past stats. I'm not really sure if analytics has been paid much attention to.

The other thing is that owners want to sell tickets. A big UFA signing sells tickets. Or so they think anyway.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:27 AM   #2050
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah he'll sign in Boston and fit in seamlessly to whatever it is that they do there, and they'll finish the season with well over 100 points again.
Bergeron carved out a career there as someone considered an elite centre who was almost never PPG.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:39 AM   #2051
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Moneyball hasn't ever caught hold in the NHL.

At least half of the GMs are ex-players, meaning they are generally not highly educated but are familiar with the players they've seen over the years and maybe more apt to be impressed by past stats. I'm not really sure if analytics has been paid much attention to.

The other thing is that owners want to sell tickets. A big UFA signing sells tickets. Or so they think anyway.
NHL Gm's may not be dumb, but they allow things you can't track to pull them to players. They should really rely on a combination of the eye test and analytics.

You probably don't end up with that 2016 free agent class which is one of the worst of all time.

Even with Lindholm you look at the analytics they are poor, you watch the player and it matches the analytics.

Same thing with a Rasmus Andersson, he will be 30 when its time for a new contract. A player who isn't the best skater, and has had fitness issues shouldn't be getting a long term big money deal.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:26 AM   #2052
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
NHL Gm's may not be dumb, but they allow things you can't track to pull them to players. They should really rely on a combination of the eye test and analytics.

You probably don't end up with that 2016 free agent class which is one of the worst of all time.

Even with Lindholm you look at the analytics they are poor, you watch the player and it matches the analytics.

Same thing with a Rasmus Andersson, he will be 30 when its time for a new contract. A player who isn't the best skater, and has had fitness issues shouldn't be getting a long term big money deal.
Not entirely disagreeing, but it’s kind of funny you went from “GMs allow things they can’t track to pull them to players” to “You can’t sign this player long term because his skating doesn’t look good and he used to be fat” in like 4 sentences.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:31 AM   #2053
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yeah, I still think Lindholm will get a 7x7ish contract from the Bruins
That's probably a good fit for him as they play a tight defensive style that he can operate in and may be able to find a spot on the powerplay to bolster his stats. Zacha was a bust with the Devils but has thrived in Boston.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:02 PM   #2054
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is there a chance he re-signs here? Long shot I think but if he came crawling back for a 7x6.5 million I would do it.

Cap going up and think thats the rate for a defensively responsible 2nd line 55 point center.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:04 PM   #2055
Lewis_D
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Is there a chance he re-signs here? Long shot I think but if he came crawling back for a 7x6.5 million I would do it.

Cap going up and think thats the rate for a defensively responsible 2nd line 55 point center.
I hope not.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lewis_D For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:07 PM   #2056
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
GMs know UFA deals that take players to 34+ are likely going to look bad in the back half of the term. But they’ve decided that the short-term matters more than the long-term.

And sometimes they’re right. It’s like GMs trading 1st or 2nd round picks at the deadline. They know they’re probably getting only 6-12 playoff games out the player. But they’re pushing their chips in.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-28-2024 at 01:09 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #2057
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I wonder if there's other issues at play, it just seems odd that he's dropped off this much.. Just a shell of the player we saw on one of the top lines in the league.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:14 PM   #2058
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
I hope not.
I hope so. Kuzmenko is pure skill and full of positive vibes. He will be the guy with 2 goals in a 5-4 loss next year.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:15 PM   #2059
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I hope so. Kuzmenko is pure skill and full of positive vibes. He will be the guy with 2 goals in a 5-4 loss next year.
I think they were talking about Lindholm. Kuz is already signed for next year.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:15 PM   #2060
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

But will he get 55 points playing on the 2nd line with defensive responsibilities?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote