Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2022, 07:40 AM   #3621
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Dallas Stars are the NHL's version of watching paint dry. I would think most Flames fans would have realized that this was probably not going to be one of the more exciting first round series. I imagine the TV ratings for this series are going to be less than half of what the Leafs and Oilers series bring as nobody out east is going to stay up to watch this type of hockey.
That's true about Dallas. Would be nice to see our players rise above it and score a few. Just cause Dallas wants to play this style doesn't mean the Flames have to let them. Anyway I guess 960 has to laugh or just talk baseball..
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #3622
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me the frustrating part of the two games is that there seemed to be potential for the intensity to get ramped right up - take the fighting at the end of period one in G1 - and then nothing.

yesterday there was a sequence of back and fourth and then it got locked down again.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:18 AM   #3623
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Dallas Stars are the NHL's version of watching paint dry. I would think most Flames fans would have realized that this was probably not going to be one of the more exciting first round series. I imagine the TV ratings for this series are going to be less than half of what the Leafs and Oilers series bring as nobody out east is going to stay up to watch this type of hockey and I can't blame them as Dallas is just not an exciting team to watch.
And in all honesty, as much as this is sacrilege, the dome didn't seem that amazing last night. It wasn't a pure mausoleum, but aside from a few main points it was pretty quiet. It's just hard to get super excited about that style of hockey, which I suppose is exactly how the Stars wanted it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:28 AM   #3624
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And in all honesty, as much as this is sacrilege, the dome didn't seem that amazing last night. It wasn't a pure mausoleum, but aside from a few main points it was pretty quiet. It's just hard to get super excited about that style of hockey, which I suppose is exactly how the Stars wanted it.
The air went out of the building when Pavelski scored and with the Flames not able to muster the tying goal, the building just never had a chance to get going again. It was still considerably louder in the building than the regular season IMO but this low event hockey is kind of buzzkill.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:29 AM   #3625
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darryl Reaugh on the Fan right now. Probably my favorite color commentator, would love to see him on more national broadcasts.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:58 AM   #3626
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers isn't sending the PBP crew on the road in the playoffs. Is this a restrictions thing or just Rogers cost cutting?
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #3627
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Rogers isn't sending the PBP crew on the road in the playoffs. Is this a restrictions thing or just Rogers cost cutting?
Was wondering the same.

Its really odd to me and especially when they send Ball and Millen.

Pretty cheap by 960 and if thats how they want to conduct business....should lose the rights to do the games IMO.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:07 AM   #3628
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Was wondering the same.

Pretty cheap by 960 and if thats how they want to conduct business....should lose the rights to do the games IMO.
I think it’s telling that the Fan is still using Peter Maher calls to hype these games and contests they’re running.

Despite Derek Wills being here for eight years, two division titles, a trip to the 2nd round and one 1st place finish, he has produced almost no memorable calls.

Other people may love listening to him. I know I haven’t regularly tuned into Flames games on the radio for years, and I know I’m not alone in that regard. And I suspect that’s a large part of the reason Kirsch no longer has his gig.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 05-11-2022 at 08:11 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:36 AM   #3629
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Was wondering the same.

Yeah that's awful. Totally amateurish move. there's a huge difference in calling the game off a video monitor.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #3630
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah that's awful. Totally amateurish move. there's a huge difference in calling the game off a video monitor.
It took them an embarrassingly long time to recognize that the Stars had pulled their goalie late in the last game when they had the power play and were playing 6 skaters to 4. So Mickey Mouse (I'm not blaming Ball and Millen).
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #3631
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
They found out that the product was 90% as good during COVID, and cost 90% less. Therefore, why send them. I dont think is ever changing back. Wills has made back-handed comments about it during his afternoon segment all year, and you can tell his is very pissy about it.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:18 AM   #3632
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

As he should be.... it is bushleague
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #3633
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When part of the job, and one of the big perks is travelling and being compensated to do so, and experiencing the different buildings, cities and fans..

Yeah, I'd be effin pissed if I was doing pbp for an NHL club and calling all away games from a dank boardroom in the Rogers building downtown.

I'd say more than being cheap, that's just being disrespectful to the guys that worked their tails off to be those positions, only to let them experience half of the job to save some cash.

I don't have much respect for Rogers and how they operate. Been bush league for some time now.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #3634
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think there's language in the contract signed with the Flames where it's expected the crew will travel with the team. Rogers may be stretching COVID concerns as far as they can but I would imagine the Flames would eventually have to serve notice. You can definitely tell there's a difference when they are calling on monitors as they are often oblivious to what's happening on the ice outside of the cameras.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #3635
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
It took them an embarrassingly long time to recognize that the Stars had pulled their goalie late in the last game when they had the power play and were playing 6 skaters to 4. So Mickey Mouse (I'm not blaming Ball and Millen).
Is Rogers not sending Ball and Millen on the road as well? I also noticed that neither of them commented that there was an empty net which was kind of strange.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:52 AM   #3636
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Rogers not sending Ball and Millen on the road as well? I also noticed that neither of them commented that there was an empty net which was kind of strange.
not positive. I guess its clear Ryan Leslie is on the road, and there are pictures (I think?) of Leslie, Millen and Ball together in Nashville at the end of the regular season but can I say for sure the other 2 were in Dallas? I want to hope so
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:55 AM   #3637
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I thought they had gone back on the road but there have been some moments (like this, for example) that have made me believe they have either reverted to remote or never had gone back to travelling with the team.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #3638
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
They found out that the product was 90% as good during COVID, and cost 90% less. Therefore, why send them. I dont think is ever changing back. Wills has made back-handed comments about it during his afternoon segment all year, and you can tell his is very pissy about it.
The main reason he's not happy with it, is it's much harder to do a good job. I'm just a fan, but I can see it being impossible. The screen gives you such a limited view, and then you factor in the lack of atmosphere and everything else that you have sitting there in the building, and I just can't believe that they're sticking to it.

I know there are things people dislike about Wills, but this particular position is brutal. The guy is a professional and I'm sure he knows that things could be so much better, but for the cheapness of Rogers.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #3639
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure about post season, but during the last road games in the season, Ball did mention on air how they were calling the game off a monitor. It's such a bush league move by Rogers. I would imagine it's way harder to call a game when you can't see the whole ice area with all the players. You'd miss so many developing plays.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #3640
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Not sure about post season, but during the last road games in the season, Ball did mention on air how they were calling the game off a monitor. It's such a bush league move by Rogers. I would imagine it's way harder to call a game when you can't see the whole ice area with all the players. You'd miss so many developing plays.
they were definitely in Nashville (and that was a great game and great game call btw)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote