Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #2761
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's all really a moot point when you consider that for 90% of games, a gamepad or motion controls are inferior to a keyboard+mouse or HOTAS setup.
Your point is moot since,

1) Enough people see value and are willing to purchase a console/gamepad - and actually use it regularly (Unlike kinect).

2) Keyboard+mouse being superior is your opinion. I don't enjoy gaming that way, and know many people who would rather not game at all, than game on a keyboard+mouse set-up.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #2762
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
Your point is moot since,

1) Enough people see value and are willing to purchase a console/gamepad - and actually use it regularly (Unlike kinect).

2) Keyboard+mouse being superior is your opinion. I don't enjoy gaming that way, and know many people who would rather not game at all, than game on a keyboard+mouse set-up.
I'm one of those people that can't stand playing with a keyboard and mouse...
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #2763
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
I'm one of those people that can't stand playing with a keyboard and mouse...
Yep -- it's only good for RTS games. But that makes up about 90% of the PC game market, so you can see where he got that from.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #2764
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

After sitting at a computer all day at work, I would much rather kick back on the couch and play a game over sitting at a computer again.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #2765
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gamepads are good if you're driving or playing a 3rd person game that doesn't involve aiming at something.

Also you guys are bad at this thunderdome thing. To be expected from console peasants however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #2766
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Gamepads are good if you're driving or playing a 3rd person game that doesn't involve aiming at something.

Also you guys are bad at this thunderdome thing. To be expected from console peasants however.
Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #2767
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

console peasants have more sex...
Old 04-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #2768
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
console peasants have more sex...
...with their consoles! Amirite, guys? Guys?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #2769
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #2770
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of motion controls. This is a neat title game coming out as part of a 'bundle' for PS4 and PS3.

Edit: Derp, forgot link http://jsjoust.com/

Last edited by Anduril; 04-25-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:37 AM   #2771
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
and that's why the Xbox one is outselling the competition
...oh wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It really doesn't matter how totally awesome the Kinect is -- hardcore gamers have moved on from motion controls (and it's arguable how much they ever really cared in the first place) while casual gamers have left the console scene almost entirely.
None of this matters. Zero. Zilch. This is a lot bigger than just hardcore gamers. This is a lot bigger than gaming in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I have no idea?

that is what microsoft is pushing HARD right now, are you trying to tell me that is not a wii sports clone? it doesn't matter if they are using a different technology (thats why I said Wii 2.0) its what they are doing with it and they are doing sports minigames

xbox is gonna survive on bro shooters like always and none of them will have kinect as a main feature. It will be a glorious day when I bump this thread with news of the kinect free bundle
Correct, you haven't a sweet clue. Even drawing a comparison to a Wii demonstrates a complete lack of understanding. That you think both having a motion control sports game makes it a reasonable comparison is... well I'm not about to get myself banned for calling it what it really is, so choose your favourite negative, vulgar adjective and that's what the comparison is. Again, this technology, while it will be used and will mature over the lifecycle of the console to enable new, unique gaming experiences, is much bigger than just gaming. It will be a glorious day when you can see the forest for the trees.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #2772
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Remember we all thought that Playstation move was dumb, and now it's evolving into Sony's VR solution. IMO VR is where this generation will explode. I could see kinect doing the same sort of thing. It felt stupid at launch, but it's likely one part of a long gameplan.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #2773
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Again, this technology, while it will be used and will mature over the lifecycle of the console to enable new, unique gaming experiences, is much bigger than just gaming. It will be a glorious day when you can see the forest for the trees.
They should get you on stage at E3 to present all this magical PR.

"Trust me guys, one day, Xbox will change EVERYTHING."

Meanwhile Microsoft makes more same-same versions of Halo and Gears and third parties make waggle and sports. They were pushing the same revolutionary ideas with the original Kinect and have failed to do anything interesting with it in 3+ years, and now 1 year after the introduction of this new, improved, measure-the-sweat-on-your-eyelids version of Kinect have nothing interesting to show off either. It's all smoke and mirrors.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #2774
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Remember we all thought that Playstation move was dumb, and now it's evolving into Sony's VR solution. IMO VR is where this generation will explode. I could see kinect doing the same sort of thing. It felt stupid at launch, but it's likely one part of a long gameplan.
Ding ding ding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
They should get you on stage at E3 to present all this magical PR.

"Trust me guys, one day, Xbox will change EVERYTHING."

Meanwhile Microsoft makes more same-same versions of Halo and Gears and third parties make waggle and sports. They were pushing the same revolutionary ideas with the original Kinect and have failed to do anything interesting with it in 3+ years, and now 1 year after the introduction of this new, improved, measure-the-sweat-on-your-eyelids version of Kinect have nothing interesting to show off either. It's all smoke and mirrors.
Yeah, nothing interesting has been accomplished with the Kinect.

http://www.psfk.com/2010/11/top-ten-kinect-hacks.html
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/6/2616242/kinect-hacks
http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/kinectaccelerator/
http://mashable.com/2012/06/29/entre...gy-innovative/
http://www.networkworld.com/communit...tion-worldwide
http://www.kinecthacks.com/top-10-best-kinect-hacks/

You should stop talking now.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #2775
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, the Xbox is a gaming device and you are in the video game politics thread. None of those things have been practically implemented in a gaming product so it's really not relevant.

Show me a game now or on the horizon that could not have been done without Kinect and utilizes it's abilities to make an exciting and innovative product. There aren't any.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #2776
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could see kinect doing the same sort of thing. It felt stupid at launch, but it's likely one part of a long gameplan.
Of course, I'd imagine most everything Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo does is based on a long term gameplan. Well, maybe not Nintendo. And if you can get customers to pay $100+ to test it and before you can polished games and experiences out there, why not?

I'm sure the Kinect has tons of future potential. I'm just surprised that Microsoft didn't get that much lined up with the Xbone launch for it. Like you said, they had a business plan that stretches out for YEARS, and knew Kinect was going to be part into their new console.

But even Major Nelson doesn't use/disconnects Kinect.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #2777
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've never in my life seen someone as into videogame tech as Torquedog is into Kinect.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #2778
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
None of this matters. Zero. Zilch. This is a lot bigger than just hardcore gamers. This is a lot bigger than gaming in general.

Correct, you haven't a sweet clue. Even drawing a comparison to a Wii demonstrates a complete lack of understanding. That you think both having a motion control sports game makes it a reasonable comparison is... well I'm not about to get myself banned for calling it what it really is, so choose your favourite negative, vulgar adjective and that's what the comparison is. Again, this technology, while it will be used and will mature over the lifecycle of the console to enable new, unique gaming experiences, is much bigger than just gaming. It will be a glorious day when you can see the forest for the trees.
lack of understanding? sports minigames with big head avatars, most of the same sports as well...yeah they are nothing alike

and really you need to settle the #### down its a video game peripheral you are "almost getting banned" over get a grip. Really I'm not sure what you are so mad about. I just think its stupid to force people to buy something they don't want especially when there isn't currently any software that utilizes it other than a re-hash of a 8 year old fad
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #2779
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah but sony didn't force you to buy it a launch if you wanted it or not...I want to play Halo 5 and Gears so why are they forcing me to buy a kinect when I can't stand motion controls and will never use it

Last edited by dino7c; 04-26-2014 at 09:21 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #2780
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Someone is almost getting banned?