Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #2741
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got around to pairing my spare DS4 to my PC.
In other news, this describes my PS4 pretty well.

I'm a happy camper so far.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #2742
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
In the last weeks/months of my Xbox 360 use, I might have wanted to fire it up for 45 mins to play a game. Inevitably I had to download a system update. Restart. Then I launch the game, and it needs an update. Then I need to restart the game. 25 minutes later, I don't really feel like getting into a game for 20 minutes, so I give up. Repeat 2 months later.
Joke video Mega64 put up for the 13 GB Dead Rising update when it came out.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #2743
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
In the last weeks/months of my Xbox 360 use, I might have wanted to fire it up for 45 mins to play a game. Inevitably I had to download a system update. Restart. Then I launch the game, and it needs an update. Then I need to restart the game. 25 minutes later, I don't really feel like getting into a game for 20 minutes, so I give up. Repeat 2 months later.

I understand that PS3 users didn't have it much different.

Glad that they are addressing this in the new console generation.
Odd, I've owned my 360 for over five years and can't remember ever having a 25 minute wait because of updates.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #2744
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
As of the April update (the most recent one), the Xbox One does this.

I have to chuckle a little bit at lamenting the constant system updates. If the experience is as broken as you say, wouldn't a lack of constant updates be worse? 'Cause, y'know, at least this way they get fixed?
I'm only lamenting the issue because their competitor did not make suffer this grave injustice.

It was a small enough problem, but a problem I did not encounter with my ps4.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #2745
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft should stop trying to make wii sports 2.0, that ship has sailed and the motion controls fad is over

that commercial is on every 5 minutes, casuals have moved on to ipods/phones and are not buying $500 gaming systems
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #2746
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Microsoft should stop trying to make wii sports 2.0, that ship has sailed and the motion controls fad is over

that commercial is on every 5 minutes, casuals have moved on to ipods/phones and are not buying $500 gaming systems
Agreed. You aren't selling any xbones with a kinect sports game. Bring out something involving kinect that blows away the average gamer, or admit defeat and sell a lesser version without it. Six months in, and it's still just a glorified webcam.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #2747
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Agreed. You aren't selling any xbones with a kinect sports game. Bring out something involving kinect that blows away the average gamer, or admit defeat and sell a lesser version without it. Six months in, and it's still just a glorified webcam.

I don't think MS is necesarily trying to push kinect as a gaming revolution here (although I suspect they probably make a healthy profit with Kinect Sports, which is why they keep making them). But who knows, maybe some developer will do something great with it.

I think the real reason for Kinect is to keep the platform competetive with voice control technology. Every other tech company is implementing this stuff - Apple, Google, and Amazon. 2-3 years from now voice activated tech will be pretty standard stuff. Xbox would look pretty silly as a home entertainment device when Apple, Google and Amazon set top boxes all have amazing voice controls and MS doesn't. They are thinking beyond the scope of gaming.

I suppose whether that's going to work for them long term is debatable.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #2748
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If the tech industry was full of like-minded luddites, we'd still have phones with physical keyboards. Thankfully, it isn't.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #2749
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Finally got around to pairing my spare DS4 to my PC.
In other news, this describes my PS4 pretty well.

I'm a happy camper so far.
Pretty much. I have three other games (Killzone, Madden, BF4) and have hardly touched any of them, but god damn do I love me some FIFA.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #2750
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been really enjoying infamous. I am not a huge gamer but have logged some serious hours on it the past couple weeks. Gets repetitive but it is fun to smash a bunch of things
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #2751
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the tech industry was full of like-minded luddites, we'd still have phones with physical keyboards. Thankfully, it isn't.
trying to copy something the wii did 8 years ago is not innovative

they want to make money off a fad with this thing, again ship has sailed and casuals have iphones now

if you have to have voice controls for some reason put a mic on the controller

Last edited by dino7c; 04-24-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #2752
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
trying to copy something the wii did 8 years ago is not innovative
*sigh* Look. As someone who is running the internal beta builds, I have access to the actual diagnostic utilities right on the console that the public beta/preview users don't get.

Using the NUI diagnostic tools, I can go in and go through what the Kinect sees, motion/image detection method, and have the Kinect use spatial information to determine the depth of the room, the shape of my head, coffee table, etc. The amount of information it gathers and what it can do with it is huge. On top of recreating the room with accurate depth giving me the ability to virtually rotate around the player using only the single perspective, it can tell if your eyes are closed, open, if they're open and you're engaged, if you're smiling, neutral, frowning, even paying attention to the screen. Are your hands open or closed, etc. If it wouldn't result in me hitting unemployment in short order due to the NDA, I'd post screenshots / video because it is REALLY cool what it can do.

The Wii uses controllers with accelerometers and infrared to determine where the user is aiming the controller, how it's being twisted, and the angle it is being pointed and sends it to the console using Bluetooth. That's it. End of capabilities. These are not even remotely the same technology.

The underlined text says, if nothing else, that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and should keep your mouth shut until you do.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 04-25-2014 at 12:06 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #2753
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

^^ That is really why I have a hard time believing that MS would release a version of the One without a Kinect (as I've heard several game journalists predict). While many are pointing to it as being a prime contributor to the One being outsold by the PS4, it seems like an all or nothing sort of thing to me. My guess is by the end of this generation we'll see the Kinect doing some very cool things.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #2754
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
*sigh* Look. As someone who is running the internal beta builds, I have access to the actual diagnostic utilities right on the console that the public beta/preview users don't get.

Using the NUI diagnostic tools, I can go in and go through what the Kinect sees, motion/image detection method, and have the Kinect use spatial information to determine the depth of the room, the shape of my head, coffee table, etc. The amount of information it gathers and what it can do with it is huge. On top of recreating the room with accurate depth giving me the ability to virtually rotate around the player using only the single perspective, it can tell if your eyes are closed, open, if they're open and you're engaged, if you're smiling, neutral, frowning, even paying attention to the screen. Are your hands open or closed, etc. If it wouldn't result in me hitting unemployment in short order due to the NDA, I'd post screenshots / video because it is REALLY cool what it can do.

The Wii uses controllers with accelerometers and infrared to determine where the user is aiming the controller, how it's being twisted, and the angle it is being pointed and sends it to the console using Bluetooth. That's it. End of capabilities. These are not even remotely the same technology.

The underlined text says, if nothing else, that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and should keep your mouth shut until you do.
i agree that its capabilities do appear to have some very interesting potential gaming revolutions.

It will all depend on how MS and the game makers leverage this and take it to the next level, or if just becomes the WII 2.0 - controllerless.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #2755
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
So why hasn't Microsoft released a bunch of cool tech demos for gamers to try showcasing exactly what the Kinect can do? A dance party game and some voice commands are not making it a must-have feature for people looking at the system. Why do you need to have diagnostic tools to know the extent of the Kinect's abilities? Seems like backwards marketing.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #2756
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

and that's why the Xbox one is outselling the competition

...oh wait
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbecue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #2757
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really doesn't matter how totally awesome the Kinect is -- hardcore gamers have moved on from motion controls (and it's arguable how much they ever really cared in the first place) while casual gamers have left the console scene almost entirely.

Couple that with the fact that no third party developers will bother to make an exclusive game that leverages these capabilities (as they'd then be excluding their game from a huge amount of sales on the market leader) and that Microsoft themselves don't seem interested in trying anything unique and it's basically just Wii 2.0 -- developers trying to leverage a dwindling casual audience with sports games and dance games where we spin around and waggle.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #2758
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have no idea?

that is what microsoft is pushing HARD right now, are you trying to tell me that is not a wii sports clone? it doesn't matter if they are using a different technology (thats why I said Wii 2.0) its what they are doing with it and they are doing sports minigames

xbox is gonna survive on bro shooters like always and none of them will have kinect as a main feature. It will be a glorious day when I bump this thread with news of the kinect free bundle

Last edited by dino7c; 04-25-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #2759
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Developers can hardly bother with incorporating the ds4 touchpad into games.

The only way I see Kinect being useful for me is by it being utilized by a VR headset.

I don't care how good the game is and how well Kinect is used, I just don't want to stand up while i'm gaming. Not because I'm lazy - but because I don't see the value in doing it compared to using a controller.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #2760
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all really a moot point when you consider that for 90% of games, a gamepad or motion controls are inferior to a keyboard+mouse or HOTAS setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote