Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #221
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I mean maybe the players are part of the problem but it really sucks identifying who really needs to be moved when you have Ward behind the bench dragging everyone's value down.
If your car is broken do you take it to Canadian Tire and ask them what's wrong with it? Or do you go to a real mechanic?

Ward is the Canadian Tire automotive centre of coaches. Step one to fixing the Flames is to get a real coach and see what the team can do. Making decisions based on performance under Ward is like ordering a new engine because Carl at CTire told you your piston jelly froze and cracked the muffler bearings.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #222
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Very different players, I see his point though...Gaudreau would absolutely dominate playing with the right players but he can't carry a line on his back.
He’s better than Kessel was, IMO, but it’s sorta like when Kessel was the star of Toronto. Hyped in Toronto but just not someone you build around.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #223
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Johnny ain’t no Iggy
No, he's Johnny Gaudreau.
I think the point is still valid.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 PM   #224
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I still don’t get Trelivings logic on this offseason.

I get that it would have been tough to make core changes and trades with the pandemic, there was very little player movement this offseason.

Then I get in that case you want to add the core and try to take one last shot with this group by adding Markstrom and Tanev to this roster.

But then you don’t even interview a coach like Boudreau or Gallant that’s available and instead give Ward an extension. Not even being really confident in that hiring and you give what’s almost a lame duck head coaching deal with a 2 year $900k contract.

Like it just doesn’t make any sense to do those other things, and then stick with the guy that was badly outcoached in the playoffs and didn’t really have the team playing well at all.
He didn't interview anyone when he hired Peters too. I think Tre doesn't like interviewing coaches.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 PM   #225
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Also not elite, obviously, but at least he’s worked on things they have asked this year. I’ll give him that.

Name an elite player in this league who is not a great skater. The Flames don’t have one.
no he hasn't still gives the puck away like a bum, and isn't scoring at all worth a top line guy. What a low bar he has.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #226
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
If your car is broken do you take it to Canadian Tire and ask them what's wrong with it? Or do you go to a real mechanic?

Ward is the Canadian Tire automotive centre of coaches. Step one to fixing the Flames is to get a real coach and see what the team can do. Making decisions based on performance under Ward is like ordering a new engine because Carl at CTire told you your piston jelly froze and cracked the muffler bearings.
This is the greatest analogy
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #227
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
You would build around 31 year old Markstrom and 31 year old Tanev?
There are no top line players in the system. Next season Giordano, gaudreau and tkachuk are in contract years NEXT year.

You cannot re-tweak this thing. You need to get value for these guys if you don't intend to sign these guys (or if they don't want to be here). Value will be in the form of lottery balls. 31 year old core members is a terrible idea.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #228
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Who still has Game 6 on PVR? How do you watch that transpire and promote the interim coach to head coach?

Old 02-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #229
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You really think those are elite players? They aren’t. No a one of them.
3 of them (Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm) are almost certainly Olympians next year. Disagree with you here. They can give a lot more.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #230
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
He didn't interview anyone when he hired Peters too. I think Tre doesn't like interviewing coaches.
He did a ton of interviews for the GG hire, and Ward was part of it. I think his thinking was he’d interviewed everyone back then. Plus the players wanted Ward, and Treliving liked how he kept the team together after Peters.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #231
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

As long as we play music during practice tomorrow, we will be fine
-Geoff Ward
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #232
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I get that it would have been tough to make core changes and trades with the pandemic, there was very little player movement this offseason.

Then I get in that case you want to add the core and try to take one last shot with this group by adding Markstrom and Tanev to this roster.

But then you don’t even interview a coach like Boudreau or Gallant that’s available and instead give Ward an extension. Not even being really confident in that hiring and you give what’s almost a lame duck head coaching deal with a 2 year $900k contract.

Like it just doesn’t make any sense to do those other things, and then stick with the guy that was badly outcoached in the playoffs and didn’t really have the team playing well at all.
Yep.

Putting old 87 grade gas in the luxury vehicle.

Made no sense whatsoever, and out of line with the rest of his decisions.

And how do you not change your hiring approach after GG and Peters - aka interview more than one person, be thorough and factor in experience.

Last edited by djsFlames; 02-25-2021 at 09:00 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #233
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post

Ran out of thanks, but thanks. Actually lol'd.
Also, 100% agree.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #234
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's absolutely baffling.

I thought, what the hell is going on here? The dummy put an ice cold goalie into an elimination game with the team floundering and he got lit up.

But hey, Treliving must know what he's doing right? Let's see how it plays out.

Well it looks even worse in hindsight.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #235
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
.. the clowns?
Well maybe, next yearrrrrrrrrr
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #236
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's absolutely baffling.

I thought, what the hell is going on here? The dummy put an ice cold goalie into an elimination game with the team floundering and he got lit up.

But hey, Treliving must know what he's doing right? Let's see how it plays out.

Well it looks even worse in hindsight.
Let's face it, 90% of the people here knew it was a bad decision the day it was announced. Treliving deserves to be in a predicament here now. His coaching decisions have been idiotic.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #237
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
He did a ton of interviews for the GG hire, and Ward was part of it. I think his thinking was he’d interviewed everyone back then. Plus the players wanted Ward, and Treliving liked how he kept the team together after Peters.
That may be true, he's going to pay for it though.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:02 PM   #238
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
3 of them (Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm) are almost certainly Olympians next year. Disagree with you here. They can give a lot more.
They can give more. But Olympics = elite? Can’t agree. do you think Patrick Sharp, Dan Hamhius, Chris Kunitz, MIKE SMITH were elite or just really good players? They all made Team Canada arguably the hardest team to make. The US had Derek Stephan, JVR, Faulk... I mean, Sweden routinely has non NHLers.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #239
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Who still has Game 6 on PVR? How do you watch that transpire and promote the interim coach to head coach?
Because the guy they had before almost made Lucic quit and the players were worried they’d bring in another guy to take them to task and get the most out of their abilities. They lobbied Treliving hard in the offseason to keep him and were successful. Now they don’t trust the coach and the abysmal play shows the complete clown show the roster has created for itself by having him stay as ring leader.

Speaking of which, Rittich is also still on the team this year after that fiasco in Game 6. He’s paid to be a backup and ready to go at a moments notice but was not mentally even at 5% that game 6, letting in 3 goals on 7 shots and handled every other shot like a grenade, and that lack of respect for teammates couldn’t have been great.
And tonight, below AHL level. His mental makeup is nowhere ready to be an NHL goalie full time and it seems, as a backup, and that’s been clear now over 3 seasons. Two very good performances over the weekend and gets way too high on himself and then a absolute terrible one where he’s letting shots in from eveywhere. We saw this at this time last year too when he was pulled multiple times after his “all star game by default” selection.

Last edited by browna; 02-25-2021 at 09:05 PM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #240
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
There are no top line players in the system. Next season Giordano, gaudreau and tkachuk are in contract years NEXT year.

You cannot re-tweak this thing. You need to get value for these guys if you don't intend to sign these guys (or if they don't want to be here). Value will be in the form of lottery balls. 31 year old core members is a terrible idea.
Gio isn’t really in a contract year. Unless it’s as a fitness coach.