Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2023, 12:05 PM   #5961
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool. I didn't know that range had them.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:00 AM   #5962
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone been in the St George, Utah area? Any course recommendations?

Already have wolf creek booked.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #5963
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
What tech are they using? Trackman or something else?
I don't know what they're called. I've used a couple places, but mostly riverside golf. They have some really old ones and some newer ones but I don't know what the technology is called.

Anyone have any views about Launchpad? Was thinking it might be a good evening plan.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:54 AM   #5964
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't know what they're called. I've used a couple places, but mostly riverside golf. They have some really old ones and some newer ones but I don't know what the technology is called.

Anyone have any views about Launchpad? Was thinking it might be a good evening plan.
Launchpad is fun. Can get out and play a round. If it’s snowing the trackers suck. The service is alright and the food sucks. Sort of expensive too. But not terrible for an off season venue.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:20 AM   #5965
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Launchpad is fun. Can get out and play a round. If it’s snowing the trackers suck. The service is alright and the food sucks. Sort of expensive too. But not terrible for an off season venue.
Yeah, I would describe it as "OK". I basically agree with everything you say there, and it kind of depends on why you're going. If you're going with people who don't really golf and just want to have a few drinks and have fun...it's good. If you want to actually play a course or whatever there are plenty of sim places around that are better value.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:21 AM   #5966
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, I would describe it as "OK". I basically agree with everything you say there, and it kind of depends on why you're going. If you're going with people who don't really golf and just want to have a few drinks and have fun...it's good. If you want to actually play a course or whatever there are plenty of sim places around that are better value.
For sure. I sometimes prefer full shots vs sim though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 10:22 AM   #5967
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
For sure. I sometimes prefer full shots vs sim though.
yeah, hitting into a screen is kind of terrible. That's what I don't love about the golf dome.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:10 PM   #5968
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Looking to go for a few deals this year for bulk rounds/discount cards. I'm aware of the Easy Gold card for City of Calgary courses and the Play Golf card for Heatherglen/Blue Devil/Serenity/Glen Eagles.

Anyone know of any other bulk round/discount options out there in the Calgary area?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #5969
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Looking to go for a few deals this year for bulk rounds/discount cards. I'm aware of the Easy Gold card for City of Calgary courses and the Play Golf card for Heatherglen/Blue Devil/Serenity/Glen Eagles.

Anyone know of any other bulk round/discount options out there in the Calgary area?
I received this one for Christmas. I've never used it before so cannot comment on it.

https://www.canadagolfcard.com/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:39 AM   #5970
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still on VIP Golf.

It's not as good as it was back in the day, but there are still some decent deals to be had.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:49 AM   #5971
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Alberta have anything similar to the BC Red Book? https://www.golfersredbook.ca/
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #5972
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

in having a quick look a this card, it looks likie the only course in town you can get some kind of discount at is inglewood and valley ridge.

seems like more discounts at courses outside of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I received this one for Christmas. I've never used it before so cannot comment on it.

https://www.canadagolfcard.com/
Old 01-27-2023, 11:00 AM   #5973
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue with the PGC card is that the only options are the 2 course option for Heatherglen and Serenity, and then the 4 course option for those two plus Gleneagles and Blue Devil... the 2 course option needs to include Gleneagles, because unless you happen to live in the SE the 2 course option is pretty useless, and the 4 course option is paying for courses you probably won't use very much. Or just have it be "pick 2 courses of the 4", maybe.

I'd absolutely get that flex pass if I could use it at Gleneagles, that's about 20 minutes from my door. The others are 45+.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:13 AM   #5974
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so two or so weeks ago i went to 365 Golf and had a lesson with Josh Fleming. My golf goal for 2023 is to shoot for a score of around 100 on most rounds

the tech at 365 is amazing (he had video of monty and the cmputer turned him into a leftie). josh had me working on an inside to out swing path

Yesterday i went to the golf dome to hit for a little while and i left the dome feeling somewhat optimistic as in the dome i was actually able to hit some legitimate looking shots with my 5-iron - which is a club that was only seeing action for me when i needed to punch out from under some tree cover. and i felt good as i was mostly using an "old man" type swing where i was taking the club back about 70% as i wanted to focus on the swing path

still had lots of shots that were leaking a little too far left, but this is a process

obviously a long way to go from the hitting some shots in the dome to finishing a round outside, but as andy said to red in shawshank - hope, is a good thing.....
Old 02-01-2023, 01:10 AM   #5975
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm still on VIP Golf.

It's not as good as it was back in the day, but there are still some decent deals to be had.
$600 to join as a new member? They won't give much info on their website beyond the standard "This is amazing, you want to be part of this!!!" throw away statements.

Does any of that $600 go towards rounds or do you need to claw that back through savings through your rounds? If so that seems like a huge uphill battle just to get your money back unless you're out constantly.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:16 AM   #5976
jayswin

Exp:

I played with a guy a couple times that had that at my course last year, he paid $45 instead of $65. So using that (maybe it's more savings at other places), he'd pay his membership back after 30 rounds before starting to capture savings from being a member?

If that's the case, it seems that you'd just throw a bunch of twilight rounds in between April and July/early August and come out waaaaay ahead? And even if not, without a membership I'd probably play 40ish rounds, maybe 50 tops, seems like a huge price and pressure to be out all the time saving money.

Is it at least a membership that gets you to most of Calgary area courses?

Last edited by jayswin; 02-01-2023 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:58 AM   #5977
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

had my second lesson last night at 365Golf last night. Seemed it was harder than the fist as we added in a couple of new things
Old 02-01-2023, 07:52 AM   #5978
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
$600 to join as a new member? They won't give much info on their website beyond the standard "This is amazing, you want to be part of this!!!" throw away statements.

Does any of that $600 go towards rounds or do you need to claw that back through savings through your rounds? If so that seems like a huge uphill battle just to get your money back unless you're out constantly.
You can look on the website at what the savings were last year.

Majority of good savings are during the day. If you play twilight savings won’t be as good. Also what they quote as an actual round at a course isn’t always the case. Certain courses like inglewood are basically impossible to get on according to some buddies with vip.

It’s tough to make value if you don’t get one of the huge days like Banff for $80.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:05 AM   #5979
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I played with a guy a couple times that had that at my course last year, he paid $45 instead of $65. So using that (maybe it's more savings at other places), he'd pay his membership back after 30 rounds before starting to capture savings from being a member?

If that's the case, it seems that you'd just throw a bunch of twilight rounds in between April and July/early August and come out waaaaay ahead? And even if not, without a membership I'd probably play 40ish rounds, maybe 50 tops, seems like a huge price and pressure to be out all the time saving money.

Is it at least a membership that gets you to most of Calgary area courses?

https://vipgolf.ca/calgary-south/

Don't know what the preferred tee times are (if any), but it does give some variety if that's what you're looking for, but it does take more 'work' to get the value out of it. If you're anticipating 40-50 rounds you'll hit that value whatever you choose be it VIP or an annual pass (most annual pass setups are in the 35-40 round break-even range IIRC).

So if you're looking to check out a lot of different courses and are willing to drive a bit, or are spending some time out in BC, VIP is a great option. But if you are sticking around and don't care about playing different courses (or would rather play the same place and get the member feel), the annual pass at a course you like is the way to go.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:57 AM   #5980
jayswin

Exp:

Oh, I didn't see rates were available. I take that back, those are some excellent rates. Looking at where I'd like to play I could probably make that back in 15 - 20 rounds, and it has a bunch of courses I really like.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow