Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #61
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Subban makes $10M

How is that going to work here? And why would the Flames pay a guy $10M to be on the 2nd pair?
If they take Neal, Brodie, and a good prospect/pick, I think it would be a good trade to grab Subban.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #62
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

-Stone's value dropped because he missed nearly the entire season with serious blood clot issues. That's the primary reason he dropped down the depth chart. He started the season playing regularly and was just fine.
Stone was healthy scratched before he got hurt and competing with Prout for the #7 defenseman spot.

If we want a clue at what Stone will fetch/cost in a trade, I'd look at the Fantenberg trade first. A better player on a significantly better contract ($650K for $3.5 million) fetched a 4th rounder for LA.

Guys with bad contracts don't get moved for value anymore in the NHL. No one wants a $3.5 million guy on the bottom pair, much less in the press box.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #63
brew
Backup Goalie

Exp:

brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #64
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If they take Neal, Brodie, and a good prospect/pick, I think it would be a good trade to grab Subban.
Poile could have signed Neal to an extension or protected him 2 years ago. Instead they chose to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft, which speaks volumes to how they saw his game devolving. Why would the Predators now want him back, on a pretty inflated long term deal? Poile is far to shrewd of a GM to go for something like that. I'm sure he would also realize they already have far better options at D in house than that of what Brodie could provide them with as well. There's just no value to that team to make this kind of a move. I even question the value to Calgary given the plethora of young, talented D that are ready for prime time.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #65
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Just because it appears that a large segment of people here are unaware..

TJ Brodie is actually OLDER than Hamonic

Noah Hanifin is actually YOUNGER than Rasmus Andersson and is only 4 months older than Oliver Kylington.

All by mere months in both cases but it seems I'm reading this sentiment about turning 30 and falling off a cliff stuff in Hamonics case. He is 28. And the one thing that goes when any of these guys hit the ledge? Skating. Who relies more on skating between the two? I'm not suggesting eiether guy needs to worry about a large fall-off at this point but if that is the parameter, you should be wanting to run away from TJ as fast as you can.

I think I saw that someone suggested that Kylington could replace Hanifin right now.

What?

Kylington played very limited and sheltered minutes in less than half the season, and almost none down the stretch. Hanifin has played well over 300 NHL games and as a key member of whatever blueline he was on and in all situations, and just agreed to a lengthy extension at good $$ to be in Calgary. He is going no where.

Brodie, Stone, and Kylington are the pool of dmen that moves will come from this summer.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #66
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Poile could have signed Neal to an extension or protected him 2 years ago. Instead they chose to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft, which speaks volumes to how they saw his game devolving. Why would the Predators now want him back, on a pretty inflated long term deal? Poile is far to shrewd of a GM to go for something like that. I'm sure he would also realize they already have far better options at D in house than that of what Brodie could provide them with as well. There's just no value to that team to make this kind of a move. I even question the value to Calgary given the plethora of young, talented D that are ready for prime time.
Every team had to leave guys unprotected that they would have preferred not too, that argument means little, particularly when you consider they went the 4-4-1 route and could only cover 4 Forwards.

I agree its unlikely, after this year, that Poile or many GM's want Neal on his current deal, but it has nothing to do with who was protected or not 2 summers ago.

Who would you have left out of this group over Neal?

Viktor Arvidsson (F)
Filip Forsberg (F)
Calle Jarnkrok (F)
Ryan Johansen (F)
Mattias Ekholm (D)
Ryan Ellis (D)
Roman Josi (D)
P.K. Subban (D)
Pekka Rinne (G)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #67
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope to see:

Brodie traded
Stone traded
Frolik traded

Stock up on picks and/or improve the top 6 forward core.

Smith let go

Bring in a younger platoon option to split duties with Rittich

Giordano - Hamonic
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington / Yelesin
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #68
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Something that makes this thread (and all upcoming Hamonic/Brodie debate threads) tolerable is to picture Don Cherry playing invisible desk piano while reading the posts.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #69
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Smith back on a 1 year cheapish contract if the brain trust think Rittch is ready to play a bigger role and if they think Parsons/Gillies will be ready with that additional year of development.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #70
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm betting this is our defense on opening night:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone
Kylington
You're forgetting about Yelesin and Fantenberg. Stone was healthy at the end of the season and the coaches went with Fantenberg instead of him. Pretty clear to me that he passed Stone on the depth chart.

I see something more like:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Yelesin
Fantenberg

Stone gets moved. Better to sit Fantenberg in the press box than Kylington, who will be the first call-up from the Heat.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #71
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You're forgetting about Yelesin and Fantenberg. Stone was healthy at the end of the season and the coaches went with Fantenberg instead of him. Pretty clear to me that he passed Stone on the depth chart.

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Yelesin
Fantenberg

Stone gets moved. Better to sit Fantenberg in the press box than Kylington, who will be the first call-up from the Heat.
With Stone a righty and Fantenberg a lefty I'm not sure we can claim that.

I was surprised that they didn't try Brodie on the left with Stone on the right as a third pairing down the stretch though.

Bottom line from past endeavours, I'm not pencilling Yelesin into anything until after training camp. Such an unknown.

They may have changed their mind on Fantenberg, but one of the reasons they acquired him was the expiring contract and not blocking the way for Valimaki and I would guess Kylington next year.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #72
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Yelesin
Fantenberg

They play opposite sides though. So I dont know that one was preferred over the other except that Stone didnt play hockey for 3 months or whatever it was, and was very likely unable to get up to game speed after getting medical clearance.

That being said, I think Stone will have some value to other teams simply because of his playing style and being a RH shot and playing the right side...and having an expiring contract.

Also, Fantenberg is UFA and may not be back at all.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #73
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Yelesin
Fantenberg

The difference is that Yelesin has shown nothing to prove that he's a NHL defenceman. Fantenberg is UFA and would need to be signed. Stone is under contract so it should be assumed that unless he's traded, he will be suiting up to play the right side on the third pair.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #74
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My expectation is that Treliving sees what the return for Brodie is this offseason, and if it doesn't bring back enough (first rounder or as part of getting another top 6 forward) we keep him for another run at the cup. When he plays with Gio, the captain's game is elevated to Norris trophy contention level, and I think we would be ill advised to give that up for "asset management" in one of our Gio + Johnny window years. If we keep Brodie, I expect Stone is moved for a mid pick or perhaps to get a backup goalie to a team where he would be an everyday player.

I think the Yelesin signing was to help the AHL team with all of our recent graduations, but perhaps I'm wrong and he was enticed to sign here by indication he'd be up with the NHL team.

As for bringing Smith back, it's not a terrible idea for continuity if he is back at a reasonable salary and is satisfied being Rittich's backup and mentor. I personally would see what else is out there and see Smith being back as a good plan B.
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CN10 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Yelesin
Fantenberg

I doubt Fantenberg will be back. Apparently the Kings tried to re-sign him and he wanted to test free agency. He's probably looking for a good situation and opportunity to play more and I don't think that opportunity is here in Calgary.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #76
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Every team had to leave guys unprotected that they would have preferred not too, that argument means little, particularly when you consider they went the 4-4-1 route and could only cover 4 Forwards.

I agree its unlikely, after this year, that Poile or many GM's want Neal on his current deal, but it has nothing to do with who was protected or not 2 summers ago.

Who would you have left out of this group over Neal?

Viktor Arvidsson (F)
Filip Forsberg (F)
Calle Jarnkrok (F)
Ryan Johansen (F)
Mattias Ekholm (D)
Ryan Ellis (D)
Roman Josi (D)
P.K. Subban (D)
Pekka Rinne (G)
It means everything. Every good GM in the league found a way to protect a player they felt they couldn't part with by way of a trade or arrangement with Vegas beforehand. It's not like each team was hamstrung by only protecting 9 players. They absolutely COULD have done something to protect him and many teams did with their own players.

The fact Poile didn't make any attempts to save Neal makes it pretty obvious they were content to see him go either way. He's certainly not a bad GM, he just knew that Neal was not going to be part of the team beyond his current deal and valued others far more than him.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-01-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It means everything. Every good GM in the league found a way to protect a player they felt they couldn't part with by way of a trade or arrangement with Vegas beforehand. It's not like each team was hamstrung by only protecting 9 players. They absolutely COULD have done something to protect him and many teams did with their own players.

The fact Poile didn't make any attempts to save Neal makes it pretty obvious they were content to see him go either way. He's certainly not a bad GM, he just knew that Neal was not going to be part of the team beyond his current deal and valued others far more than him.
I think more than a few teams were forced to make players available that they were not content losing but that is the nature of the expansion draft. If every team was able to protect every single player they wanted to keep I have a feeling the Knights don't make the playoffs let alone get to the SCF last season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #78
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
By protecting his top four defensemen, Poile could only protect four others skaters. Filip Forsberg, Viktor Arvidsson and Ryan Johansen were obvious choices. The final spot came down to Calle Jarnkrok or Neal, and Poile opted to keep his young center with an enviable contract.

“The rules are the rules, and it didn’t line up correctly for us. The strength of our team in on defense,” he said.

“That hurts. This expansion process was painful for the Nashville Predators. There’s no way of getting out of it.”

But Poile tried. He called McPhee every day, trying to find a scenario in which the Knights would lay off Neal. “I tried, like a lot of people did who were more successful with it, to make a deal with George. But the price was just too high in my estimation,” he said.
Yeah he couldn't wait to get Neal out of town ...
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #79
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Sounds like he misses him. Get on it BT!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #80
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

Well that is just flat out BS.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/los...133737096.html

Last edited by transplant99; 05-01-2019 at 03:38 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post: