Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2024, 09:10 AM   #19601
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ I'd still sit him, wrap him in bubble wrap, etc.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:14 AM   #19602
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Definitely feels like the media is trying to drive the price DOWN for Tanev, given how connected Toronto is to TSN/Sportsnet its rather comical.

Conroy is already on record saying he didn't include Tanev in the VAN deal because he can get a 1st in a separate deal.
Yet we've got duds like Johnson clamoring we'll be lucky to get a 2nd and a low prospect etc...

Meanwhile we all know how bad Toronto has been trying to get Tanev, yet doesnt want to give up anything worthwhile in doing so.
Sure sure guys, we all believe you.
He said this?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:17 AM   #19603
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
He said this?
He didn't say he could get a first in another trade, no.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:20 AM   #19604
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Definitely feels like the media is trying to drive the price DOWN for Tanev, given how connected Toronto is to TSN/Sportsnet its rather comical.

Conroy is already on record saying he didn't include Tanev in the VAN deal because he can get a 1st in a separate deal. Yet we've got duds like Johnson clamoring we'll be lucky to get a 2nd and a low prospect etc...

Meanwhile we all know how bad Toronto has been trying to get Tanev, yet doesnt want to give up anything worthwhile in doing so.
Sure sure guys, we all believe you.
I don't think that's on record.

We heard rumblings that the Canucks and Flames were talking about Tanev in the deal, but the Flames decided they'd get more value to trade them separately.

And even that isn't on record is it?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:22 AM   #19605
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
which is funny because the Leafs don't have a 2nd in the next three drafts. But yeah, the thought has also crossed my mind ... talking heads really seem eager to downplay Tanevs value. Have to wonder why.
Yup, which is why the original poster who suggested that the media is downplaying Tanev's value so the "media darlings" in Vancouver and Toronto can get him for a 2nd doesn't make sense. NEITHER Vancouver OR Toronto have their 2nd round picks, so that allegation makes no sense. I think it comes down to people who don't watch the Flames don't realize Tanev's tremendous value defensively and exiting the puck out of their defensive zone. A bit similar to how we saw Tanev's value when the Flames signed him and how many compared Tanev to Brodie (it's not close, even at the time, but some believe they were, including me).

As for Hanifin, I'm not so certain no signing announcement now means Hanifin is leaving. Contracts take a while and while they had a number, there are other things to be ironed out. I'm still not sure if he stays or goes, but an absence of an announcement the day after the All Star break doesn't mean anything to me.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:22 AM   #19606
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

From LeBrun at The Athletic this morning:

"Again, as I reported last week, the sense is the Flames want a second-round pick plus another asset for Tanev, although if you’re a team like the Maple Leafs without a second-round pick for the next three years, I’m confident still in saying Toronto’s price to pay on Tanev is a first-round pick. I just don’t know if that’s a price Leafs GM Brad Treliving will want to pay or not. And if he does, I would imagine he would have some level of confidence he can re-sign Tanev before July 1."
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 09:23 AM   #19607
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm pretty sure an interview shortly after the Lindholm trade he said he left Tanev out because he could get more value (than a 2nd which is what Vancouver offered) in a separate deal.

So maybe not worded as "we'll get a 1st guaranteed" but more so implied, my error there.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:24 AM   #19608
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And even that isn't on record is it?

Dhaliwal said it. His exact words were that the Canucks feel like the Flames think they can get a 1st for Tanev,

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 09:39 AM   #19609
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yup, which is why the original poster who suggested that the media is downplaying Tanev's value so the "media darlings" in Vancouver and Toronto can get him for a 2nd doesn't make sense. NEITHER Vancouver OR Toronto have their 2nd round picks, so that allegation makes no sense. I think it comes down to people who don't watch the Flames don't realize Tanev's tremendous value defensively and exiting the puck out of their defensive zone. A bit similar to how we saw Tanev's value when the Flames signed him and how many compared Tanev to Brodie (it's not close, even at the time, but some believe they were, including me).

As for Hanifin, I'm not so certain no signing announcement now means Hanifin is leaving. Contracts take a while and while they had a number, there are other things to be ironed out. I'm still not sure if he stays or goes, but an absence of an announcement the day after the All Star break doesn't mean anything to me.
even if they don't have a 2nd, I don't think it's inconceivable. Toronto probably just doesn't want a) to pay that 1st themselves and b) someone else to pay that 1st.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 09:54 AM   #19610
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 2nd and another asset would be fine, if the other asset was high risk high reward. A breakout player in a European league would be great, something in the chelmevksi (sp) vein, or gritsyuk out of jersey.

A player with a lot of promise, but nit as many eyes on them.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:54 AM   #19611
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
From LeBrun at The Athletic this morning:

"Again, as I reported last week, the sense is the Flames want a second-round pick plus another asset for Tanev, although if you’re a team like the Maple Leafs without a second-round pick for the next three years, I’m confident still in saying Toronto’s price to pay on Tanev is a first-round pick. I just don’t know if that’s a price Leafs GM Brad Treliving will want to pay or not. And if he does, I would imagine he would have some level of confidence he can re-sign Tanev before July 1."
I think it's a no-brainer for Treliving. He CAN'T miss the playoffs in his first year as GM of the Leafs and not with the talent of the team. The fans and media would rip him apart. He should be able to convince Tanev to sign long term as Toronto is home and they have a good roster. Just pay the first and get it done Treliving before you lose out on a player that your team desperately needs.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:59 AM   #19612
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Dhaliwal said it. His exact words were that the Canucks feel like the Flames think they can get a 1st for Tanev,
And that makes sense. Vancouver got Lindholm right now because they paid a high price. They weren't willing to do the same for Tanev. All it takes is a serious injury to a top 3 Dman for a solid playoff team to pull the trigger instantly.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:00 AM   #19613
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friedman on yesterday's 32 Thoughts:

- What Pachal claim says to him is Calgary has some decisions to make on their blueline as they might need some extra defencemen soon.
- Earlier in the season Hanifin was offered 8 x $7.5 M which he was close to taking until the Flames' losing streak when he got cold feet. The Flames and Hanifin started talking again but the Flames want an answer now (All-Star break). The Flames' first game back is in Boston which is where Hanifin's family lives and Friedman assumes the Flames will receive an answer from Hanifin one way or another (stay or go).
- On Tanev, Friedman doesn't expect Ottawa remains interested but the Flames have been getting calls from "teams" including Toronto who were re-engaged over the All-Star weekend. Names Tampa Bay as one who people suspect have called; speculates New Jersey may be interested but perhaps a rental isn't the right fit; wonders if Winnipeg may be interested but notes they already acquired one rental (Monahan).

Last edited by united; 02-06-2024 at 04:21 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 10:08 AM   #19614
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
And that makes sense. Vancouver got Lindholm right now because they paid a high price. They weren't willing to do the same for Tanev. All it takes is a serious injury to a top 3 Dman for a solid playoff team to pull the trigger instantly.
"High price" is relative. This is what Lindholm was going to cost at a minimum. He wasn't getting cheaper if the Canucks waited. He could possibly get more expensive.

The same is true for Tanev, but I think the Canucks decided that there were other positional options out there. The only forward option that checked every box was Lindholm.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:30 AM   #19615
Pekkerhead
Backup Goalie

Exp:

On Capfriendly it looks like the Canucks have 9 ufa’s and 2 rfa’s this summer. Maybe I’m reading it wrong? Yikes.
Pekkerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:31 AM   #19616
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekkerhead View Post
On Capfriendly it looks like the Canucks have 9 ufa’s and 2 rfa’s this summer. Maybe I’m reading it wrong? Yikes.
and one of the RFAs is a biggie.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:39 AM   #19617
Pekkerhead
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hronek too. Plus their second line and most of their D-Corps. All having career years, except Z and Lindholm. Suddenly I feel better about this season. ��
Pekkerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:42 AM   #19618
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
A 2nd and another asset would be fine, if the other asset was high risk high reward. A breakout player in a European league would be great, something in the chelmevksi (sp) vein, or gritsyuk out of jersey.

A player with a lot of promise, but nit as many eyes on them.
Agree with this. No point in being sour that it's a 2nd and not a 1st until you know what the second asset would be. If it's a Cole Schwindt-type prospect plus a second, then yeah be disappointed. But if it's a known quality asset then that's incrementally worth more than the 2nd->1st round delta.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #19619
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can always take the Brian Burke approach, if you don't get what you want for Tanev.. you hold and let him walk into free agency.

Realistically though, you sell to the highest bidder and you have a month for these teams to ante up the best offer.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:49 AM   #19620
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Man, if I am a GM of a team that will likely be picking in that 24 to 32 range, I don't even hesitate to give up a 1st for Tanev. The only thing I may do, is put it conditional on him playing 4 playoff games to protect myself against injury in which case it drops to a 2nd rounder. Tanev is the type of pickup to put you over the top in the playoffs, can slot in anywhere from 4 to 6 with no problem, plus he tends to elevate whoever he plays with.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote