Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 08:55 AM   #18541
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Look for the Socially Regressive bigots to try and pigeonhole Nenshi to fire up their base with red meat.

They won't go to the mat about economic policy or environmental concerns, they're going to have some useful idiot like Baby Bexte ambush him outside a Subway and ask him a loaded question about Transing The Children or something. Then they'll say he's part of the WEF Adrenochrome harvesting pedo cabal for 3 years and get a staggering amount of mileage out of it.
I'm already seeing posts on Linkedin about that - how he's a WEF puppet and is going to take all our rights and freedoms away. Coming from supporters of a party that is taking away freedoms of vulnerable populations and telling people they aren't allowed to build renewable energy projects on their own private property.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:09 AM   #18542
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I'm already seeing posts on Linkedin about that - how he's a WEF puppet and is going to take all our rights and freedoms away. Coming from supporters of a party that is taking away freedoms of vulnerable populations and telling people they aren't allowed to build renewable energy projects on their own private property.
LinkedIn?

That's the last place I'd be posting that crap. Now they're mixing their ####ty politics and conspiracy theories with their professional lives.

I saw a few of those come through during the Clown Convoy. They were immediately removed and I don't do business with them. Hard stop.

Unless you're a politician, keep your politics out of your professional profile.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:16 AM   #18543
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the flip side, I love it when that #### gets posted on LinkedIn. It immediately alerts me to who NOT to work with in the future, and right after drop from my connection list.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:23 AM   #18544
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of the only good things that came out of the pandemic was that I was able to identify LinkedIn contacts that were anti-vaxxers, convoy supporters or general dicks and drop them from my connections. Elections are pretty good for that too, but if I dropped all of my LinkedIn contacts that I disagree with politically I'd have a handful left.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 09:28 AM   #18545
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I have a rule of thumb - people can have ####ty politics, just don't shove it in my face. LinkedIn is shoving it in my face. Gone.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:28 AM   #18546
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After deleting Facebook, LinkedIn is the only way for me to find out if acquaintances are insane.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:45 AM   #18547
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
LinkedIn?

That's the last place I'd be posting that crap. Now they're mixing their ####ty politics and conspiracy theories with their professional lives.

I saw a few of those come through during the Clown Convoy. They were immediately removed and I don't do business with them. Hard stop.

Unless you're a politician, keep your politics out of your professional profile.
Yeah I'd never post anything political, ideological or really anything not related to my professional work there, anymore than I'd go on a rant about politics in an in-person meeting with one of my clients. That's just asking to lose business.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:00 AM   #18548
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I'm amazed when sales guys post stuff like that on LinkedIn - I mean if you are in sales, that feels like a way to tank your number, unless your clientele is only Without Papers and TBA...
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 11:05 AM   #18549
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I'm amazed when sales guys post stuff like that on LinkedIn - I mean if you are in sales, that feels like a way to tank your number, unless your clientele is only Without Papers and TBA...
This is anecdotal, but based on my (unfortunately not-by-choice) interactions with a few far-right Freedumb Convoy types at work and online, they're so delusional that they think almost everyone else thinks just like they do. They have absolutely no shame spouting their idiotic beliefs to anyone they can corner for a conversation because they don't even see what they're saying as moronic or controversial.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 11:05 AM   #18550
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So are the CP people hiring, or are the crazies hiring? Because for a better job I will go full nutbar in any direction you want.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:20 AM   #18551
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

David Staples writing a column in opposition of Nenshi’s leadership bid should be enough to convince anyone who is still on the fence to purchase an NDP membership immediately
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 11:27 AM   #18552
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m acquainted with a guy who routinely posts WEF conspiracy stuff on LinkedIn. And he’s a financial advisor affiliated with a major bank.

MarchHare is right - I think a lot of these people think what they’re saying is widely-acknowledged truth. Since almost all of the responses to his tirades express enthusiastic agreement, I suppose I can see why he’d believe that. It’s hard to recognize an echo-chamber when you’re in it.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:05 PM   #18553
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s probably a reason why 75% of the comments on Rick Bells’ articles are self-employed or “looking for work”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:07 PM   #18554
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
There’s probably a reason why 75% of the comments on Rick Bells’ articles are self-employed or “looking for work”.
There's definitely some George Carlin material in here, I can feel it
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 12:32 PM   #18555
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
There's definitely some George Carlin material in here, I can feel it

“President of <person’s initials> Industries, Inc.”
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:54 PM   #18556
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
This is anecdotal, but based on my (unfortunately not-by-choice) interactions with a few far-right Freedumb Convoy types at work and online, they're so delusional that they think almost everyone else thinks just like they do. They have absolutely no shame spouting their idiotic beliefs to anyone they can corner for a conversation because they don't even see what they're saying as moronic or controversial.
Agree 100%. I work with a few conspiracy believing, antivaxxer nutjobs who also love Danielle Smith and Donald Trump. A few of them were actually surprised when confronted with an opposing view. It doesn't cross their mind that this stuff it just too illogical and irrational to believe in, they're way down the rabbit hole.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:14 PM   #18557
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am always amazed at how enthusiastically people will show their colours on LinkedIn. Clearly too many view it as simply social media, rather than a tool for employers/companies to vet potential employees.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:19 PM   #18558
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I am always amazed at how enthusiastically people will show their colours on LinkedIn. Clearly too many view it as simply social media, rather than a tool for employers/companies to vet potential employees.
It is funny how LinkedIn gained traction as a "serious" site. Like, nothing really differentiated it from classmates.com, facebook and all the other crap out around that time. I remember at first people putting things like: "City of Calgary Garbageman...I take out the TRASH" or "President at The Ministry of Awesomeness".

I bailed shortly after it started becoming serious and old colleagues were friend requesting me or whatever you call it on there. It's all so lame...I don't like marketing myself, but I realize I'm fortunate in that I don't have to with how my career has gone. If I stayed in the office life I'm sure I'd be on there with a little headshot and all the other BS people have to do.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:41 PM   #18559
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Rumours circulating about former PC MLA Thomas Lukaszuk entering the NDP leadership race.... according to online show The Breakdown.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 02:42 PM   #18560
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Rumours circulating about former PC MLA Thomas Lukaszuk entering the NDP leadership race.... according to online show The Breakdown.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote