Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #1821
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Yes and no. The streaming media stuff works, the OneGuide works except for the one thing everyone really wants it to work for, which is your local TV guide.

It's coming, but wasn't enabled in Canada for Day One.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #1822
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
^Yes and no. The streaming media stuff works, the OneGuide works except for the one thing everyone really wants it to work for, which is your local TV guide.

It's coming, but wasn't enabled in Canada for Day One.
Not surprising considering how the XB1 was rushed for release but it does kind of suck that we can't use it the way Americans can. Hopefully Microsoft gets this going sooner than later as I'm looking forward to ditching the clunky Shaw interface.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #1823
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried to cowboy it by forcing my region over from Canada to United States, but of course there's no guide information for Canadian providers so it doesn't matter.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #1824
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm didn't think I'd like the voice commands for Fifa so I'de been ignoring them. I was wrong.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #1825
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

So are we in agreement that AC4 is currently the best PS4/XB1 title available?

Remember when Twilight Princess launched with the Wii?
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #1826
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Shut up, I haven't bought AC4 yet, I'm a province away from my X1, and it's killing me to be away from it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #1827
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Remember when Twilight Princess launched with the Wii?
that or NBA 2K14, graphics are jaw dropping my wife wasn't sure if it was a video game or a live game on tv at first
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #1828
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can see the online purchase and download of games being expensive for me.
Where I used to think I wanted a game, but never had time to go to a store and buy it, let alone play it, now you can make quick purchases.
Got home from the bar last night and decided I wanted to play AC4 this weekend. Bought game and had it downloading within 2 minutes.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #1829
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Where I used to think I wanted a game, but never had time to go to a store and buy it, let alone play it, now you can make quick purchases.
Got home from the bar last night and decided I wanted to play AC4 this weekend. Bought game and had it downloading within 2 minutes.
It's just like the world of PC gaming! The difference being, I only finish 1/3 games I buy off Steam (but at least they were on sale!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #1830
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's just like the world of PC gaming! The difference being, I only finish 1/3 games I buy off Steam (but at least they were on sale!).
At least the Playstation Store often has sales that rival those on Steam (not to mention the free games on PS+). Between that and the yearly E3 sales for new games, I'm doing very good on not paying full price for anything
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1831
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
yeah I end up buying more games...although I must say its very convenient especially for someone who lives pretty far from any major stores
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #1832
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants an Xbox One Best Buy has 24 online as I post this. Probably no way you'll get it delivered before Xmas though.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...878712e9b3en02
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #1833
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There are about 5-10 xbox ones at EB Games, North Hill mall, right now. Ask at the desk.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #1834
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I spoke to a sales guy at Future Shop this morning (take it for what it's worth) and he said they are expecting up to 50 xbox One's at each location in the city over the weekend. He was hoping to get a bunch today.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #1835
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox One's seem to be fairly readily available. I've been keeping an eye on the best buy website and they have had them in stock (on and off) for the last few days. I was in futureshop on Tuesday night and they had some in stock (I almost pulled the trigger).

It's the PS4 that is very hard to come across.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #1836
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've been down in the U.S. the last few days and PS4s are scarce but there are loads of XB1s available.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #1837
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I've been down in the U.S. the last few days and PS4s are scarce but there are loads of XB1s available.
Seems to line up with what is being reported anecdotally online. The US version of that stock tracking website shows a lot of green(http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/xboxone/). Probably just a matter of time before we'll see the same in Canada.

Microsoft is keeping stock high.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #1838
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Seems to line up with what is being reported anecdotally online. The US version of that stock tracking website shows a lot of green(http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/xboxone/). Probably just a matter of time before we'll see the same in Canada.

Microsoft is keeping stock high.
That's a good site; thanks for that.

Not specifically to chemgear's post, but we aren't seeing any preference battles yet. We are in the middle of a supply chain battle and we won't be out of it until sites like the linked are all available for one console or the other, and even then we may not know for sure as 1 console supplied and sold with attached software and peripherals is more than none.

It makes me chuckle when something is sold out and something else isn't and a winner is declared, when in fact it may be supply chain related. Don't believe me? check out when either console is posted for sale; they are snapped up quickly. Supply chain.

My problem is the tacit agreement not to put either next generation games on sale.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #1839
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Not me. I'm playing the PS4 version that looks like a last gen game and it's nothing you can't already play in the 360 or PS3. Nothing next gen about it and its not a reason to buy one of the new systems. Right now I'm not sure if I will even finish it as the ship battles are really fun but the city missions are repetitive and boring.

Best game available is Dead Rising 3. More accessible than the original 360 game and lot more fun. I ended up with over 25,000 zombie kills when I finished the game and it never gets old killing zombies with all the inventive weapon combinations. Maybe the flat out funnest (The Last of Us was best overall IMO) game of the year as it doesn't take itself seriously and there are some really goofy characters. The sheer amount of zombies on screen at once is something we have never seen before on any platform and its one of the best showcases of what's in store next gen.

Ryse isn't the greatest game ever but it's the best overall showcase of next gen graphics as its just stunning. The actual story is pretty good as well as the combat is repetitive but it's timing based and always challenging. It's a short game but fun and worth a look. Much better game than the reviews give it credit for.

Killzone Shadow Fall isn't a great FPS game and the story in particular is terrible but at times its fun and there are some "wow" moments as the graphics are almost as good as Ryse. It's probably the best bet for a next gen FPS right now.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #1840
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

what are the sports games like? are they iterative or are they genuinely next gen?

fifa seems to get the best reviews...and some in this thread like the nba 14, but there are so many opinions out there...

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?