Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #1721
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Tre gave Derek Ryan a raise from a 1 year 1.425 in Carolina to 3.125 x 3 coming off of 38 points. That was a pretty appropriate contract in hindsight. He is truly a guy that can play up and down the lineup and is very dependable.

Florida has a pretty good structure, both Barkov and Huberdeau make 5.9

If Sam ended up around 4 ish over 3 years, a bit more or less depending how things go the rest of the year, that may be mutually palatable for both parties
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #1722
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Tre gave Derek Ryan a raise from a 1 year 1.425 in Carolina to 3.125 x 3 coming off of 38 points. That was a pretty appropriate contract in hindsight. He is truly a guy that can play up and down the lineup and is very dependable.

If Sam ended up around 4 ish over 3 years, a bit more or less depending how things go the rest of the year, that may be mutually palatable for both parties
What's most likely, is Bennett signs an RFA deal similar to what William Karlsson signed with Vegas in 2018 after his breakout year: 1Y @ $5,250,000

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #1723
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What's most likely, is Bennett signs an RFA deal similar to what William Karlsson signed with Vegas in 2018 after his breakout year: 1Y @ $5,250,000
But that walks him to UFA correct? I would think he is more in line for a 3x3 deal
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #1724
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it is so much how Bennett played in Calgary compared to how he is now playing in Florida.

He had asked for a trade. However, when Sutter was hired, he said he was happy and wanted to remain a Flame. The Flames have to make a decision. What if it does not work out with Sutter as well and he then changes his mind again? This is yet another reason why Ward should never have been given the head coach job to start the year, another bad management decision.

It is hard when a player asks for a trade and it is hard to get value at the best of times. Most were pretty happy with our return...but say it does not look as good now. Such is life.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #1725
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The one thing we can be sure of is that with this trade, Tre just made Bennett a whole lot more money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #1726
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
But that walks him to UFA correct?
maybe, but I have to think both Bennett and the Panthers see a long term fit, so it's not the same as if, for instance, Calgary walked him to UFA. It's really just about getting a good sample size for a long term deal, even if it's a UFA signing. Does Bennett really want to sign a massive contract only to be "Sam Bennett'd" somewhere else when he's having fun in South Beach playing with Jonathan Huberdeau for Joel Quennville? As far as the UFA market is concerned, the Panthers are likely confident that they'd be the frontrunners for a mutually agreeable signing. Maybe even an extension halfway into his second year as a Panther, once they get a few more games.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-30-2021 at 02:57 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #1727
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
"amazing return for Brad"

2 weeks later

"he should be fired for this deal alone"

ah CP
I still think the return was great and this is coming from someone who's been very critical of Brad Treliving. Actually, I thought Brad did very well at the deadline.

What he got for Bennett is not really the problem here, it's more so about why he had to trade Bennett in the first place. Bennett was not going to work with the pieces on this team and he ultimately would've been exposed to Seattle likely anyways, so probably good to get something rather than nothing.

Maybe if Treliving could do it again, maybe he doesn't ask for so much for Monahan and is able to facilitate a trade with Columbus or whoever else. My concern now regarding Monahan's ever dropping value is do the Flames even bother to look at moving him? Perhaps everyone's value will be so low that Treliving doesn't make a big change at all and we're right back to mediocrity again next season due to pure stubbornness.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #1728
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
maybe, but I have to think both Bennett and the Panthers see a long term fit, so it's not the same as if, for instance, Calgary walked him to UFA. It's really just about getting a good sample size for a long term deal, even if it's a UFA signing. Does Bennett really want to sign a massive contract only to be "Sam Bennett'd" somewhere else when he's having fun in south beach playing with Jonathan Huberdeau for Joel Quennville?

If they like him they will pay him, Sam doesn't seem to be about money. He seems happy, the guys seem to like him. Bet the guys will take him out fishing and make him feel at home! I know a lot of us Flames fans will now have a second team to watch in the playoffs and i'll be cheering Sam on!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:03 PM   #1729
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

This is true, ClassicSniper. Bennett’s value at the trade deadline was what it was. It was a result of years of bungling, but that was the value. Not a bad trade given the valuation

The failure to get value from the player, develop him, leverage him, etc. is the greater disappointment

Building a roster with 6 middle 6 centres and one RW wasn’t optimal it seems. How about that
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #1730
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I still think the return was great and this is coming from someone who's been very critical of Brad Treliving. Actually, I thought Brad did very well at the deadline.

What he got for Bennett is not really the problem here, it's more so about why he had to trade Bennett in the first place. Bennett was not going to work with the pieces on this team and he ultimately would've been exposed to Seattle likely anyways, so probably good to get something rather than nothing.

Maybe if Treliving could do it again, maybe he doesn't ask for so much for Monahan and is able to facilitate a trade with Columbus or whoever else. My concern now regarding Monahan's ever dropping value is do the Flames even bother to look at moving him? Perhaps everyone's value will be so low that Treliving doesn't make a big change at all and we're right back to mediocrity again next season due to pure stubbornness.

I think the Flames under Sutter will do a retool. They should go all out for an elite center, maybe Jack Eichel, then slot Elias on the second line, this way you have 2 strong centers and maybe Backs as a third.

We need a GM who is not afraid to make trades to improve the team, hanging onto the same pieces with the same results over and over has us regressing. Maddening!
Old 04-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #1731
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something but not sure what Derek Ryan has to do with anything. He was a UFA. Agreed his contract has been a solid signing by Treliving.

The Panthers need to be careful with Sam's contract, when you look at their structure every single forward is a RFA or UFA within the next 3 years. Barkov is a UFA after next season, Huberdeau a UFA the season after that. They will get big raises. I'd be very careful handing out a long term deal to Sam near the 4 mil mark because of a hot streak after being traded. Maybe they sign him to a short term deal around the 3 mark or less for him to prove himself, that's what I would do.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:00 PM   #1732
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Just wait until the summer, when Brad trades the 104th pick from 2011 for two 1sts.
Lazar + BOS 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
A bunch of people are now talking about putting Bennett with Gaudreau instead of Monahan, like that was ever a discussion in the past. That’s top line insertion.

And exaggeration doesn’t help. Bennett was never on the 4th line (with Stajan) not counting this year. He was always second line with Backlund or 3rd line with Jankowski or the Lucic/Dube versions. He’s played with hardly any “AHL plugs” either. Just not the best guys on the team. Last year his most common linemates were Janko, Reider, Lucic, Ryan, Mangiapane, Dube. Not AHL plugs. The year before: Backlund, Tkachuk (24%). The year before that, you might have an argument because he played with Hathaway a lot. But only after Jagr left. Before that, Versteeg and Brouwer. Again, not top talent, but not AHL. Veterans who had scored in the past. The year before that, Backlund and Frolik.

Theo Fleury started on the 3rd/4th line. Earned his way up.
Bennett 10th EV TOI last year (11th if you include Buddy Robinson). He was on the 4th line last year, too.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:01 PM   #1733
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This is true, ClassicSniper. Bennett’s value at the trade deadline was what it was. It was a result of years of bungling, but that was the value. Not a bad trade given the valuation

The failure to get value from the player, develop him, leverage him, etc. is the greater disappointment

Building a roster with 6 middle 6 centres and one RW wasn’t optimal it seems. How about that
I suspect when Brad Treliving looks over his time with Calgary Flames from 2014-2021, he will not look too fondly at his attempt to fill the RW position. It is by far the biggest failure throughout his time here. At least in regards to the center position, he's found Elias Lindholm and has managed to create some depth up the middle even if it is still a weakness.

But his history with the RW position looks UGLY. He's tried to patch it up with expensive UFAs that blew up in his face, middling guys and replacement parts and it all turned into dung. Conversely, in goal and on defense, he has spared no expense. We've had a "top 5 defense" how many times under Treliving and it's helped the Flames win what? 3 first round games. Game plan right from the get go was no good.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:12 PM   #1734
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I think the Flames under Sutter will do a retool. They should go all out for an elite center, maybe Jack Eichel, then slot Elias on the second line, this way you have 2 strong centers and maybe Backs as a third.

We need a GM who is not afraid to make trades to improve the team, hanging onto the same pieces with the same results over and over has us regressing. Maddening!
I'd be for a Jack Eichel depending on what has to be given up. I wouldn't demolish the roster to add Jack though, otherwise the Flames would just end up as Buffalo East. But there's no doubt in my mind the Flames need 2 reliable scoring lines to win those tight games which they've failed to do so often this season, simply due to lack of scoring. Right now it's "please score every game top line" or "Markstrom needs to be perfect." Absolutely unsustainable way to win.

Personally, I think Treliving is very brave when it comes to trades and he's always looking to "improve" the team. But I feel like he's come out swinging in a lot of trades attempts and has missed. Probably a good thing he whiffed on the Jason Zucker deal though because that would not have aged well.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #1735
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I'd be for a Jack Eichel depending on what has to be given up. I wouldn't demolish the roster to add Jack though, otherwise the Flames would just end up as Buffalo East. But there's no doubt in my mind the Flames need 2 reliable scoring lines to win those tight games which they've failed to do so often this season, simply due to lack of scoring. Right now it's "please score every game top line" or "Markstrom needs to be perfect." Absolutely unsustainable way to win.

Personally, I think Treliving is very brave when it comes to trades and he's always looking to "improve" the team. But I feel like he's come out swinging in a lot of trades attempts and has missed. Probably a good thing he whiffed on the Jason Zucker deal though because that would not have aged well.

I didn't word that well. I meant we need a GM not afraid to trade pieces such as Johnny or Monahan, Matt, a defensman, or prospect. We need to trade a good piece or 2 to get Jack. Once we have him finding some scoring wingers will be an easier route. We don't have to mortgage the house but we need an elite center in worst way if we are to have a chance to compete in the near future.

He may not be the only center available, I think this type of approach would extend our window and give us better options.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #1736
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Right now Bennett is the 4th highest paid forward in Florida in terms of AAV. Which is pretty surprising to me. I would think they might look at something like a two year deal at similar money to what he's making now. If he can do half of what he's done in the last 10 games for two years, he'll get paid big time.

He's probably playing this well because he's paying no state income tax now. I look at Evgeny Dadonov had two really productive years playing with Barkov and Huberdeau and how's he doing this year? So it would seem those two have a big impact on the production of who they play with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #1737
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Right now Bennett is the 4th highest paid forward in Florida in terms of AAV. Which is pretty surprising to me. I would think they might look at something like a two year deal at similar money to what he's making now. If he can do half of what he's done in the last 10 games for two years, he'll get paid big time.

He's probably playing this well because he's paying no state income tax now. I look at Evgeny Dadonov had two really productive years playing with Barkov and Huberdeau and how's he doing this year? So it would seem those two have a big impact on the production of who they play with.
What? That's crazy!

Where are their $5M wingers on their 3rd line?! Where's their $3M 4th line centre?

How are they winning without spending money on players like James Neal and Troy Brouwer?

...!@#$ing Treliving...
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:46 PM   #1738
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Florida is another example of how the game is increasingly becoming about having the best elite talent. The Panthers have two elite offensive players that elevate the team.
That's what you need.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #1739
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

Not sure if serious?

Anyway he pays non-resident state income tax whenever he travels to a state like Michigan, Illinois or Carolina for a game. I notice that players in that division did hit the lotto for playing most games in tax free states (TX, Florida and Tennessee)
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:02 PM   #1740
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^Florida is another example of how the game is increasingly becoming about having the best elite talent. The Panthers have two elite offensive players that elevate the team.
That's what you need.
Yes, and a stud d-man in Ekblad. I know they have some good underrated players, but the Panthers don’t have a particularly strong roster outside those three players. It just shows if you get an elite core (and a #1 two-way centre has to be part of it), and good coaching, the rest follows.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote