Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #16441
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
No worry about rebuild

It’s automatic after Johnny then Tkachuk walked. What’s left?
Are you Eric Francis?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:32 PM   #16442
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No worry about rebuild

Only thing left will be you on here complaining in every single thread.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #16443
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If the Flames win the SC half of this board won't know what to do with themselves and disappear.
The problem is the odds of that happening are butting up against zero. This franchise is living the definition of insanity and half of this board thinks that’s A-OK!
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:44 PM   #16444
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
The problem is the odds of that happening are butting up against zero. This franchise is living the definition of insanity and half of this board thinks that’s A-OK!
I’m willing to give this coach a full season before I get on the blow it up train. The core is still young.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #16445
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

@Vinny01 you’re right we can agree to disagree on rebuild. I’m fully aware of the pandemic situation and the struggles of Alberta. There are 32 ownership groups in the league that have been affected by this. I guess I’d hope that you continue business as usual and that the quest for a Stanley cup is the end goal, and that winning and business interests don’t need to be mutually exclusive. If I was an owner I’d like to see a business plan that looked 3-5 years down the road in these circumstances. Perhaps when the market and disposable income for ticket sales is down it’s the right time to rebuild, if there is one.

Out of curiosity, what more do you need to see from this group to say a cup just isn’t in the cards? If this is your last kick at the can - you honestly see a cup out of this group? I’m not even sure I see a playoff appearance unless you mortgage the future to help win now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #16446
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Spectors hockey speculating that Vegas could be taking offers on Jonathan Marchessault and are also looking to flip Ryan Reaves as they look to balance their roster. Could their be a fit here with Monahan? Having two nuclear deterrents as options could prove to be valuable as the league opens back up and Reaves as the 13th fwd would fit that bill.

Marchessault + Reaves for Monahan?

We would have to go out and find some Center depth to shore up the middle no doubt. What does Vegas have to add to that for us giving up the better younger player and taking on Reaves?
Heavy Jack, thanks for posting some trade speculation, sucks that it gets ignored in this thread and you get bickering posts instead.

I don't know if there'd be any adding at all in that trade. Marchessault and Monahan are probably even, some might even argue Marchessault has more value as his contract has a lower cap hit.

Also, he's listed as a centre on many sites, is he though? If he is, wouldn't he just replace Monahan? I like that Marchessault is a faster player but Sutter does like size; he'd have to pick between speed versus size in this deal.

Marchessault would be a pretty good add, only 3 years remaining at a $5 million cap hit. He has an 8 team no trade clause though and the Flames are likely on it. Vegas might be desperate to unload him if they land Eichel or Landeskog (just because that's what Vegas does). I'd see if maybe that happens and try and acquire him for a 2nd or prospect that Vegas can sit on for a bit.

Marchessault on Monahan's RW with Mangiapane on the left side would be a pretty good second line.

Last edited by 868904; 07-24-2021 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #16447
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spectors hockey speculating that Vegas could be taking offers on Jonathan Marchessault and are also looking to flip Ryan Reaves as they look to balance their roster. Could their be a fit here with Monahan? Having two nuclear deterrents as options could prove to be valuable as the league opens back up and Reaves as the 13th fwd would fit that bill.

We would have to go out and find some Center depth to shore up the middle no doubt. What does Vegas have to add to that for us giving up the better younger player and taking on Reaves?

Vegas is trying to cut their cap. Monny won’t do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #16448
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think a Monahan-Tuch swap could help both teams. Vegas makes sense for Monahan in my opinion but they have limited pieces I would realistically want back. Marchessault is not one of them.

I would take Reaves for cheap and see he and Lucic run around together
Old 07-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #16449
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think a Monahan-Tuch swap could help both teams. Vegas makes sense for Monahan in my opinion but they have limited pieces I would realistically want back. Marchessault is not one of them.

I love tough hockey, but we already have Ritchie who is much cheaper than Reaves. Seems like overkill to have 3 guys like that.

Gotta disagree with you here, I think Marchessault is the bigger need for the Flames.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #16450
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Vegas is trying to move some cap to sign some dmen.

If they move Tuch, it will be for futures or a cheaper cap hit.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #16451
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
We can say what we want about prices, etc. Bottom line, adding OEL and Garland makes Vancouver better, adding Hyman makes Edmonton slightly better even though they have other holes to fill. What have we done to improve? Pitlick….. really? Reality is we will be staring at the bottom of the Pacific with the Sharks.
I'll take that bet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #16452
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Heavy Jack, thanks for posting some trade speculation, sucks that it gets ignored in this thread and you get bickering posts instead.

I don't know if there'd be any adding at all in that trade. Marchessault and Monahan are probably even, some might even argue Marchessault has more value as his contract has a lower cap hit.

Also, he's listed as a centre on many sites, is he though? If he is, wouldn't he just replace Monahan? I like that Marchessault is a faster player but Sutter does like size; he'd have to pick between speed versus size in this deal.

Marchessault would be a pretty good add, only 3 years remaining at a $5 million cap hit. He has an 8 team no trade clause though and the Flames are likely on it. Vegas might be desperate to unload him if they land Eichel or Landeskog (just because that's what Vegas does). I'd see if maybe that happens and try and acquire him for a 2nd or prospect that Vegas can sit on for a bit.

Marchessault on Monahan's RW with Mangiapane on the left side would be a pretty good second line.
Thanks! Best time of the year so why bicker about the team?? Why not dream of what could be!

I had seen the Center listings for JM but looking at hockey reference he really hasn’t taken lots of faceoffs for a few years now and when he had taken a few 100 in prior years he had a mid 40’s percentage so definitely not a Center. If we could hang on to Monahan and figure out a deal for JM and Reaves it would fit the Sutter window and the cap hit of Gio is the exact cap hit of JM + Reaves so we could still go out and find a replacement in the top 4 D for Gio.

Maybe Dube + Kylington and a late pick for Marchessault + Reaves?

Off-season picks up of Coleman, Sutter and Martinez

That would be quite the shake up while still keeping the main talent of the core intact but I guess ultimately it’s contingent on Johnny’s contract situation and also leaving enough room for Tkachuk and Mangiapane extensions the following year.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Monahan - Marchessault
Pelletier - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Sutter - Pitlick
Reaves, Ritchie

Hanifin - Tanev
Martinez - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone
Kinvall

Markstrom
Riemer
Old 07-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #16453
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe switch the late pick coming from Calgary to coming from Vegas?? Admittedly have never been great at guessing value in trade speculation.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #16454
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
@Vinny01 you’re right we can agree to disagree on rebuild. I’m fully aware of the pandemic situation and the struggles of Alberta. There are 32 ownership groups in the league that have been affected by this. I guess I’d hope that you continue business as usual and that the quest for a Stanley cup is the end goal, and that winning and business interests don’t need to be mutually exclusive. If I was an owner I’d like to see a business plan that looked 3-5 years down the road in these circumstances. Perhaps when the market and disposable income for ticket sales is down it’s the right time to rebuild, if there is one.

Out of curiosity, what more do you need to see from this group to say a cup just isn’t in the cards? If this is your last kick at the can - you honestly see a cup out of this group? I’m not even sure I see a playoff appearance unless you mortgage the future to help win now.

I want to see what this team does with a full season under Sutter with everything back to normal before I pull the plug.

I think a lot went wrong for this team last year and I don’t think they are as bad as their record. People like to talk about how they got pumped by the 8th seed Colorado but that was an emerging superpower who added one of the best young Dman in the game during that series. Flames didn’t deserve to win but end of the day that team coughed up 2 late 3rd period leads and also missed on chances in both overtimes in games that ended as losses.

The Flames were the 7th best team in the league after Peters left the bench in 2019/2020. They had the Stars 12 seconds away from being up 3-1 but choked.

Last year just went poorly from the get go. Ward was in over his head and seemed to lose all control early in the season. The way he handled the Bennett situation, the multiple players only meetings, the Tkachuk situation. He just couldn’t manage it. Sutter came in and the team was in the dumps for a 9 game stretch that ended their season. Towards the end of the year positives could be viewed as the new top line started to look pretty dynamic at times.

I think Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk are exceptional players. I think Mangiapane is going to emerge as an equally valuable piece this year. I like some of the youth on the back end but there is a hole to fill there. This team needs another scoring winger as well. I am optimistic that Markstrom will have a superior season next year as he plays in front of the C or Red.

I just want to see what this team does under normal circumstances with Sutter behind the bench. If they are brutal than I have seen enough but I am sorry losing to Colorado, the Peters/bubble, and the CFL style season are not convincing me this needs to start from scratch. I am not convinced it doesn’t go down that path I am just not ready to do it yet.

Last edited by Vinny01; 07-24-2021 at 08:23 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #16455
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Vegas is trying to move some cap to sign some dmen.

If they move Tuch, it will be for futures or a cheaper cap hit.

They are reportedly also in the market for a top 6 center. Vegas is likely one of the only teams and likely the only contender where I think Monahan would be the number 1 C
Old 07-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #16456
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No worry about rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
You make it sound like they just won’t show up one day and the organization won’t know why and… it’s a foregone conclusion.
Notice how Flamesfan05 said walked, in the past tense? Apparently it already happened and both those players are out the door for nothing. When did I miss that?
Old 07-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #16457
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Notice how Flamesfan05 said walked, in the past tense? Apparently it already happened and both those players are out the door for nothing. When did I miss that?
Which is why i asked....what?

I read it 4 times trying to figure it out and still cant.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #16458
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Getting immediately worse while adding long term assrts and increasing your chances at Shane Wright is better than standing pat.
Nope. Unless they completely tear it down, they are not going to challenge the 4 or 5 basement dwellers. Moving out Monahan for long term assets (for example) might increase their changes of Wright from 1% to 2 or 3%.

Some people seem to forget that some fans actually pay to watch. And with 2 seasons in a row ruined, the Flames better be either fighting to work their way back into the playoffs, or tearing it down completely.

And they aren't tearing it down completely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #16459
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
They are reportedly also in the market for a top 6 center. Vegas is likely one of the only teams and likely the only contender where I think Monahan would be the number 1 C
I still think they go hard after Eichel. They have all the pieces to do so, that's for sure.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:40 PM   #16460
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I want to see what this team does with a full season under Sutter with everything back to normal before I pull the plug.

I think a lot went wrong for this team last year and I don’t think they are as bad as their record. People like to talk about how they got pumped by the 8th seed Colorado but that was an emerging superpower who added one of the best young Dman in the game during that series. Flames didn’t deserve to win but end of the day that team coughed up 2 late 3rd period leads and also missed on chances in both overtimes in games that ended as losses.

The Flames were the 7th best team in the league after Peters left the bench in 2019/2020. They had the Stars 12 seconds away from being up 3-1 but choked.

Last year just went poorly from the get go. Ward was in over his head and seemed to lose all control early in the season. The way he handled the Bennett situation, the multiple players only meetings, the Tkachuk situation. He just couldn’t manage it. Sutter came in and the team was in the dumps for a 9 game stretch that ended their season. Towards the end of the year positives could be viewed as the new top line started to look pretty dynamic at times.

I think Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk are exceptional players. I think Mangiapane is going to emerge as an equally valuable piece this year. I like some of the youth on the back end but there is a hole to fill there. This team needs another scoring winger as well. I am optimistic that Markstrom will have a superior season next year as he plays in front of the C or Red.

I just want to see what this team does under normal circumstances with Sutter behind the bench. If they are brutal than I have seen enough but I am sorry losing to Colorado, the Peters/bubble, and the CFL style season are not convincing me this needs to start from scratch. I am not convinced it doesn’t go down that path I am just not ready to do it yet.
Yup and that's fair.

I still believe though, that Sutter and BT have agreed that at least one large change has to happen after DS got those 20 or so games to evaluate what guys do what on the ice and how they practice etc.

I cant believe that even he thinks he can do damage with the roster that has shown it cannot do anything of consequence year after year.

Still need a major shke up and it will still happen before UFA IMO.

Or I am completely reading the tea leaves wrong which would not be a first.