Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #141
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Giordano's hit was knee-on-knee and Koivu is injured so I'm not surprised he has a hearing scheduled. It was a dirty play. He is not a dirty player, but that was dirty.

Big loss.
Have you seen a video where it is conclusive knee on knee. Only thing I have seen is from the potato camera from the far end of the rink. To me it look like Gio is moving laterally and the shin makes contact. The ref that called the penalty was right there and it wasn't kneeing.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #142
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Have you seen a video where it is conclusive knee on knee. Only thing I have seen is from the potato camera from the far end of the rink. To me it look like Gio is moving laterally and the shin makes contact. The ref that called the penalty was right there and it wasn't kneeing.
As I said above, the collision appears to be just below the knee for both players.

And Kneeing is usually when a play sticks out his knee - which Giordano doesn’t do. Gio sticks out his leg, but his knee does not move relative to Koivu.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
He sticks his leg out. When he does this his leg collides with the other players leg. It could end up being nothing more than a trip without injury or in worse case knee on knee and an injury and it doesn't' have to be pin point knee on knee for one of the players to suffer an injury. Gio just as well could have been injured as a result and it's just not an ideal way for two men to collide.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-07-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #144
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
As I said above, the collision appears to be just below the knee for both players.

And Kneeing is usually when a play sticks out his knee - which Giordano doesn’t do. Gio sticks out his leg, but his knee does not move relative to Koivu.
Exactly, I don't see anything that shows him leading with a knee.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #145
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He sticks his leg out. When he does this his leg collides with the other players leg. It could end up being a trip without injury or in worse case knee on knee and an injury. Gio just as well could have been injured as well as it's just not an ideal way for two men to collide.
The way Gio stuck out his leg, and Koivu fell over - it seems to me that Gio would have been more likely to get injured from that play.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #146
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

It’s like leaving your leg out in soccer and going shin on shin, ya it’s not nice and it can cause an injury but it’s not suspendable. Considering what other players have got away with I cannot believe Gio is about to be suspend for this. Wilson, Reeves, Kunitz, all way way worse. It’s bush league from a league with zero conisstency when it comes to suspensions and refereeing.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #147
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Game was not over. Two goal game with the puck in the offensive zone and that’s the proper defensive play.

In fact IF he doesn’t make that play THEN the game actually would have been over for his team.

Backlund did a terrible job of defending himself. Head down and reaching forward for a 50/50 puck.
You're right, the Wild had them right where they wanted them...

The game was all but over (is that better?) he was headhunting, and wouldn't answer for it.

And really? you're going to call out me saying that the game was over when the Flames had a 2-0 lead with less than a minute left and then you follow it up by saying that the game is only over if they go up 3-0 about 2 seconds later?
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #148
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
...If this was done against flames players, the board would be up in arms. CP use to be way more level headed, really starting to follow HF boards for blind homerism
It is one thing to log in after five weeks of hilariously terrible Canucks hockey and offer your opinion on physical play in a Flames game. It is entirely another to use your only post in 37-days to complain about the Board. If you are unhappy about the quality of discussion on CP, then you know where the door is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #149
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post

And really? you're going to call out me saying that the game was over when the Flames had a 2-0 lead with less than a minute left and then you follow it up by saying that the game is only over if they go up 3-0 about 2 seconds later?
Yes

3>2
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #150
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Here's the sequence of events of the Dumbass hit.

His skates lose contact with the ice in the 5th frame of the hit (at 30fps, that's 1/6th of a second into the hit). By the standard the league uses, that means his feet were on the ice for the hit.
Yes, his feet were on the ice at point of contact.

It also clearly shows that the head was the initial, and principal point of contact
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #151
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Everyone calling this hit dirty is the reason it's called the No Hitting League now. Backlund had his head down and was in an unfortunate spot, Dumba didn't do anything wrong
But if Backlund has his head turned, it's a blindside hit and it would have been viewed as dirty.
I don't get why a head down means its not dirty, but a head turned means it is.
In both cases, the player can't see the hit coming.

I mean, I know you shouldn't skate through the middle of the ice with your head down, but come on.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #152
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

DOPS is a joke.

It's a tool that is there to give certain teams protection and advantage.

There were at least 2 incidents against Flames players recently. Zero discipline handed out.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #153
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
Lomberg came on the ice with the only intention of jumping Dumba, whether Dumba previously did something wrong...does not give any player a pass to simply jump somebody, further to that Dumba did not even engage with Lomberg, or accept the fight in any way.

Giordano knee'd Koivu, he intentionally stuck his leg out, whether he meant to hit his knee or not, is irrelevant

If this was done against flames players, the board would be up in arms. CP use to be way more level headed, really starting to follow HF boards for blind homerism
I agree that Lomberg was in the wrong. But I am fine with the Flames bullying a team they are going to play in a week. Lomberg shouldn't get the pass, and he wont. All the same if he makes Dumba think twice next game it worked.

Gio stuck out his leg but I think that intent is important. Not a clean play. He will likely get a game.

I think its a classic case of a few out raged posters repeating themselves, and everyone else making their point and tuning out.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #154
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
But if Backlund has his head turned, it's a blindside hit and it would have been viewed as dirty.
I don't get why a head down means its not dirty, but a head turned means it is.
In both cases, the player can't see the hit coming.

I mean, I know you shouldn't skate through the middle of the ice with your head down, but come on.

A hit where the head is the initial and main point of contact is still dirty regardless of where his head was. The mentality of keep your head up or you're fair game for a headshot is from another era. I get how people who have watched hockey for a long time have a hard time wrapping their head around it but the league has a rule against head hits - granted they only enforce it selectively.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #155
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kassian and Lucic got praised for doing what Lomberg did recently...the narrative was the big tough Oilers came to play and the Flames lacked toughness...until they won.

Now the Flames are big goons or some BS
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #156
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio at most is a two minute penalty and it should be Dumbass that is having the hearing.

No surprise the NHL gets it wrong on both accounts.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #157
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the people arguing that Backlund had his head down, and therefore it was a clean hit...

That is no longer true in today's rules. Think about the situation where a player has their face towards the boards - they have put themselves in a very vulnerable position. However, in order to reduce head injuries, the league has (correctly, IMO) placed an onus of responsibility on the person making contact to be aware of a player's vulnerability, and it is a suspendable offense to hit him into the boards head first, regardless of the fact that the person being hit put themselves into that position.

The same is true with a player in backlund's position. Even though he has put himself in a vulnerable position, the other person has a responsibility to consider that, and not exploit the vulnerability. Watching the slow-mo that Getbak posted, there is clear evidence that he made initial and principal contact with the head, and that he carried through in a full and aggressive manner, despite Backlund's vulnerability.

If the league wants to protect the health of its players, it has not choice to put the onus on the attacking player, when another player is vulnerable. And the league has done this. However, they didn't support that in this case.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #158
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Here's another angle of the Gio trip.

Link

He doesn't stick his knee out last moment as he's set for a hit, but instead kicks his foot out and trips Koivu at the last moment.

Unfortunate, and definitely a 2 minute tripping penalty. It shouldn't be anything more than that though IMO.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #159
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not even knee on knee...it's a trip
Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #160
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah it's hard to argue Giordano wasn't in the wrong there. Still surprised there is a suspension incoming... didn't look terrible to me and even some of his own hits in the past have been worse. Hard to understand how the league will deal with stuff, feels like a completely different approach every time.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote