Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #141
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This makes no sense. Why release a PTO before you have to?
Also, if they released Stone, he wouldn't be able to play in the scrimmage tonight. I wouldn't be surprised to see him released tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Did some quick and dirty math. The season is about 116 days (assuming it ends May 8th, but I am not sure on that).

Ryan on the taxi squad saves roughly $2.1M. That means about $18K/day. So that first 11days would save the team about $200K in cap space, which is quite a bit of wiggle room, compared to the current situation.
The maximum cap savings for burying a player is $1,075,000 this season. If Ryan spends the full season on the taxi squad, he'll still have a cap hit of $2.05 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
huh? what does that have to do with anything? Why waive Kylington before you have to? He's barely been at camp.
They had to waive him today in order for him to clear prior to submitting the opening night roster tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #142
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
huh? what does that have to do with anything? Why waive Kylington before you have to? He's barely been at camp.
To save money and be cap compliant. The PTO costs nothing and affects nothing.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #143
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we should claim Perry just to make him get on a plane and come to Calgary. Then we waive him the following day and accidentally lose his luggage on his way back to the airport.

EDIT: Oops, sorry wrong thread.

Last edited by tvp2003; 01-11-2021 at 11:55 AM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #144
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
besides the recent spike on the most recent season, ok
that spike is a calculated probability that he will be an NHLer, it isn't a reflection of current output.

His NHLe went from 21 to 26, slower growth than the year before.

Look, I like Kylington too. I see the potential too. I don't want to lose him to waivers either. But let's not make claims that aren't true - it is pretty indisputable that, so far, his progression has been slower and less than expected/hoped.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #145
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little surprised by the Ryan decision. Thought he was a coaching staff favorite. Maybe making room for a PTO turning into a contract. If they lose Kylington I will be a little disappointed. Still think he turns into a good NHL player. Think they both clear as I believe all teams will have some challenges getting down to their final rosters.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #146
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t like waiving Kylington either but the thing missing here is the next two seasons.

At this point of the comparison (Draft+5) Krug had two 40 point NHL seasons, Kylington has not shown to have that ability at the NHL level yet in his first 90 or so NHL games.

I think it’s likely that Detroit or LA both take a flyer but the reason you do it today is it makes a tough decision for another team. They need to be able to send down or waive another player in order to fit Kylington into the opening night roster.

Detroit will probably take him though and he’ll end up putting up 30 points this season.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-11-2021 at 11:57 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #147
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I am curious if there will even be any trades between Canadian teams and the USA. 14 day quarantine and all.
7days + 3 negative tests.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #148
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You obviously don't understand the cap/taxi squad

Stone would have nothing to do with players waived as he can go to the taxi squad and not count against the cap. What is the risk exactly?
It's nothing to do with the taxi squad, but thanks for pointing out that I'm an idiot.

You make a huge mistake, and sign a guy to a not super great (even at the time) contract (with a limited NTC!), and then have to turn around and buy him out. And then you bring him back again, and then once more on a PTO. I'm just saying optically, aren't there about 300 other guys who could be equally as mediocre as Stone? Should Tre at least have some shame about signing that deal in the first place?

I guess I'm just more a believer in the "fool me once, shame on me" theory than I am the "devil you know" theory.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #149
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm a little surprised by the Ryan decision. Thought he was a coaching staff favorite. Maybe making room for a PTO turning into a contract. If they lose Kylington I will be a little disappointed. Still think he turns into a good NHL player. Think they both clear as I believe all teams will have some challenges getting down to their final rosters.
I would think, the Flames made the move to create more cap flexibility.

I would doubt there is any chance he is claimed

To expensive for a depth center.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #150
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Question - would a player claimed off waivers from a Canadian team, by a US team, not have to quarantine before they can join the new team? And vice versa. If so, would this not reduce the risk of Flames players being claimed?
It would depend on the quarantine requirements of the state/province where the team is that he's claimed by.

The NHL has a 7-day quarantine requirement for all players joining their team from another state or province. During that time, the player must be tested on days 1, 3, 5, and 7. If all tests come back negative, he can join the team on day 8.

This will be required for any player travelling on publicly-accessible transport (such as regular airline travel). If a player can join a team travelling by private transport (i.e., driving himself), he can potentially get an exemption from the quarantine period.

Any player moving between a US-based team and a Canadian team would need to follow the federal government's quarantine rules. Also, if any states have quarantine rules that are more restrictive for people travelling from out of state (I don't know if there are any), or if the US federal government enacts any additional restrictions once Biden takes office.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #151
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know there have been a lot of Kylington supporters, but i don't see how he fits until he cleans up the errors. Brodie was similar but seemed to learn and clean that part of his game up quickly after a quick send down to the AHL. Kylington doesn't seem to learn as quickly.

Also, I can't imagine being late in getting back to town helped his case. Why was he so slow in getting back?

I do wish they tried him at wing. He could be lethal with that wrist shot and speed.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #152
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
7days + 3 negative tests.
They don't get to over ride the federal quarantine do they? Thats for in country moves I thought.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #153
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Did some quick and dirty math. The season is about 116 days (assuming it ends May 8th, but I am not sure on that).

Ryan on the taxi squad saves roughly $2.1M. That means about $18K/day. So that first 11days would save the team about $200K in cap space, which is quite a bit of wiggle room, compared to the current situation.
I believe you can only bury around a million in cap, so I think the cap savings for Ryan is closer to 9k/day. The Atheletic's article details it.

Edit: Getbak had it cleared up ages ago, lol.

Last edited by blender; 01-11-2021 at 12:19 PM.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #154
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They don't get to over ride the federal quarantine do they? Thats for in country moves I thought.
When in doubt, getbak will have the superceding information.

I just recall a Treliving interview saying Kylington had to do 7 days and 3 negative tests.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #155
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ugh, sure he'll go through and no great loss, right?

Not like Treliving has ever made mistakes just like this with Byron and Kulak. Poor vision and poor asset management in my view. Kylington is going to end up being a very good player in this league. And soon.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #156
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually, Kylington might be one of the most likely to be claimed, based on age, salary, and contract status.

Only team Ryan would make sense for is NJ, with their cap space and roster space - but there are better options available for free, or they could probably still grab assets from a team wanting to move a contract.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #157
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
How about Kulak? The same Kulak who played on their top pairing in the playoffs (and beat the Pens) but can also play up and down the lineup??
Brett Kulak may sometimes have Shea Weber or Jeff Petry playing next to him, but the gulf between Kulak and Weber/Petry/Ben Chiarot is gargantuan. Montreal have a very clear "Top 3" and "Bottom 3", and Kulak is in the latter. Good for him for finding a niche with a team that needed defencemen, but if Kulak was still in the Flames organization he'd be among those being put on waivers today.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #158
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Derek Ryan.

It's like every UFA signing is guaranteed to be waiver wire fodder before the end of their contract.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #159
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan is in that precarious zone: playoff teams rarely have the cap space available for a $3M 4th liner. And non-playoff teams have no real use for him - better to play a young, developing guy.

Yes, there is the argument for a 'pick him up now, and trade him at the deadline' move, but I think that is less enticing this year, with teams being in a losing-money situation.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #160
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

My apologies if this has been posted but NRD is fairly plugged in (and will tell you that in every other tweet) basically said Kylington is going to get claimed by the first team that has waiver priority.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLRumors...77732767510530
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote